Step I materials, Physio & Path books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Med01

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a few books for STep I, like First Aid (2006), High Yield Histo, but they are older versions. Is it necessary to have the latest editions which are more expensive?

I also wanted recommendations for Physio and Path books to go along with classes. Physio was not taught well at my school. I looked at BRS physio and can't quite get it from the bullet points alone. Suggestions for filling in knowledge gaps?

Also, if anyone has a comprehensive set of Step I materials & Path/other guides for 2nd year they want to get rid of, please PM me.

Members don't see this ad.

I have a few books for STep I, like First Aid (2006), High Yield Histo, but they are older versions. Is it necessary to have the latest editions which are more expensive?

I also wanted recommendations for Physio and Path books to go along with classes. Physio was not taught well at my school. I looked at BRS physio and can't quite get it from the bullet points alone. Suggestions for filling in knowledge gaps?

Also, if anyone has a comprehensive set of Step I materials & Path/other guides for 2nd year they want to get rid of, please PM me.

I liked the BRS Physiology Cases and Problems. It sounds like you already took physiology, but if you are really goin to put a lot of time into nailing it then I hear people swear by Costanzo Physiology. Any particular section of physiology you were particularly weak in?

I liked the BRS Physiology Cases and Problems. It sounds like you already took physiology, but if you are really goin to put a lot of time into nailing it then I hear people swear by Costanzo Physiology. Any particular section of physiology you were particularly weak in?

Feel weak in respiratory phys, cardiovasc. Yes, I took the class already, but don't feel our class material covered the concepts well.

Haven't taken Year 2/path stuff yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would check out Elsevier's Integrated Physiology. It's written by someone who was a USMLE board member.

I personally loved Costanzo phys--I didn't start using it til 2nd year and I read it along with the corresponding path class, although its too much for boards review (BRS is fine). If you need some help in specific phys subjects, Koeppen and Stanton or Vander renal phys and Lilly pathophys of heart disease are fantastic--unfortunately, I don't know of any great respiratory phys books. As for path books, I wish I had bought Goljan and read along during my second year--I read BRS phys but think that Goljan is much better. And, as for the issue of whether to buy newer versions of books or not, I think that it is often okay to stick with older versions unless the book you want is in a subject that changes a lot (e.g. neuroanatomy), is the first edition (which often has the most mistakes), or is going to be one of your main books for boards review. Thus, buy Goljan, First Aid, anything neuroanatomy new, but books in subjects like physio, histo, anatomy, behavioral sciences, etc. will probably be okay in an older edition. BTW, I used the 2nd edition of BRS physio and the older editions of all of the HY books and felt that they were perfectly fine, and in some cases (especially for the HY series) the older edition were better--had less extraneous and unnecessary details--than the newer ones.