Step I repeaters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

curious monkey

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a friend who failed step I on two separate occassions (missed it by a few points) and got the same score both times. There was a huge difference in terms of how she was scoring on kaplan and her knowledge and understanding between the first and second time. Interestingly enough, many people I know who have failed more than once seem to get the same score and when they finally pass they just get over the hump (ie 75). For those who have failed once and then beat their score significantly, what kind of changes did you have to put into your studying. For all the people that I mention above, it seems like just studying harder doesn't cut it. thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I have a friend who failed step I on two separate occassions (missed it by a few points) and got the same score both times. There was a huge difference in terms of how she was scoring on kaplan and her knowledge and understanding between the first and second time. Interestingly enough, many people I know who have failed more than once seem to get the same score and when they finally pass they just get over the hump (ie 75). For those who have failed once and then beat their score significantly, what kind of changes did you have to put into your studying. For all the people that I mention above, it seems like just studying harder doesn't cut it. thanks

My experience:

Step 1 (first attempt): 172/71
Step 1 (second attempt): 203/83

For my first attempt I did qbank (once), qbook (once) and FA. For my second attempt, I added all the explanations from qbank into my FA. I listened to goljan audio (several times), read his 100 pp high yield notes, did all the Robbins Review of Pathology questions (twice), did usmlerx questions (redid all the wrong ones), all 4 NBME practice tests, 150 questions USMLE CD. I also listened to the Biochemistry and Physiology kaplan videos (twice). I also read Goljans Rapid Review book (twice) and did the questions on the CD which comes with it. Also did Anatomy rapid review, biochem rapid review and kaplan simulated exam (350 questions). Overall I must have done close to 7000 questions (compared to around 3000 for my first attempt)

I would say the following sources made the biggest difference:

-Robbins Review of Pathology questions
-Goljan audio, high yield notes, and rapid review book
-FA
-Biochemistry and physiology kaplan lectures

Good luck:thumbup: