Step I scores vs. Clinical performance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hk2005

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
How much weight do you all think is placed on your step 1 scores compared to your clinical grades? My step 1 score and for that matter my M1 and M2 grades were a bit below average. I know that low usmle scores knock you out of the running for many specialities/competitive programs and that's fine. However I've gotten honors or high honors in all my clinical rotations and I anticipate having good letters. I would think that that would be more important than test scores but I know that scores are the most objective way to screen applicants. I know it also varies from speciality to speciality but I was wondering what you guys think in general about this.

Members don't see this ad.

Hmm...is that you Feras....MCV...pathology....hmmm :D

Grades during 1st and 2nd years mean jack. Step I score is important though for competitive residencies to get your foot in the door :p

hmm...definitely not Feras...phD, couples matching with a PM&R girl.....are you Mike?? :D

nope..not Mike...hmm...i think I've narrowed it down to Chris, Neil, Patrick, or maybe Thomas...or maybe Sumanth :laugh: who could it be....

shoot...it's not Sumanth either.....hmmmmm :mad: