Step I Study Timeline: Which Would you Do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdquestion

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thinking about taking the first clinical block off for a number of reasons (want to finish some research, have some conferences to attend during board study time, family vacation over the summer during the first block, etc,). If you had the option what would you do? Mainly worried Option #2 may backfire and I'll lose all my boards progress from the first 7.5 weeks when I'm in the clinical crash course.

(1) 7.5 weeks of dedicated, boards-only study time. Take exam.

(2) 7.5 weeks of board study time (w/ 10-15 hours/week in lab), Followed by 4 weeks of clinical course (9-5 PM, 5 days a week), Followed by 4 weeks of dedicated study time. Take exam. Total time: 16 weeks (broken up).

Members don't see this ad.

Thinking about taking the first clinical block off for a number of reasons (want to finish some research, have some conferences to attend during board study time, family vacation over the summer during the first block, etc,). If you had the option what would you do? Mainly worried Option #2 may backfire and I'll lose all my boards progress from the first 7.5 weeks when I'm in the clinical crash course.

(1) 7.5 weeks of dedicated, boards-only study time. Take exam.

(2) 7.5 weeks of board study time (w/ 10-15 hours/week in lab), Followed by 4 weeks of clinical course (9-5 PM, 5 days a week), Followed by 4 weeks of dedicated study time. Take exam. Total time: 16 weeks (broken up).

Option 2 sounds terrible and you're rightfully worried. I would go w/ option 1. You won't be thinking about the clinical stuff during those 4 weeks and the more minute materials you spent time memorizing will begin to go away