Step II and ranking

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NMH2001

Ferret Momma
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious-how crucial is it to have step II done prior to when programs rank? I know that this may be a program-specific question, but I just wanted to get a gist to what the general consensus was on this.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

FWIW, most programs don't use it unless you have it. So, if you got a really good score on Step I, don't take it. If you didn't, then go ahead and take it. Just make sure and get a better grade on Step II than you did on the first one.
This is just what I have heard from at least 4 different PDs.

Cool....So basically you can get ranked even if you have not gotten your scores back by rank time? I was told by one program that you will get ranked lower (or not at all) if your scores are not in by rank time. Regardless if you did good/bad on step I.

Members don't see this ad :)
Cool....So basically you can get ranked even if you have not gotten your scores back by rank time? I was told by one program that you will get ranked lower (or not at all) if your scores are not in by rank time. Regardless if you did good/bad on step I.

Depends on the program. i am more interested in step 2 then step 1. If I have only the latter at rank time, it might drop you slightly, particularly if your ERAS reflects that you've taken it but the scores aren't there.

On the other hand, if your step 1 rocked and you 've got good letters, maybe I wouldn't.

Depends on the program. i am more interested in step 2 then step 1. If I have only the latter at rank time, it might drop you slightly, particularly if your ERAS reflects that you've taken it but the scores aren't there.

On the other hand, if your step 1 rocked and you 've got good letters, maybe I wouldn't.
just curious, but what is "rocked"? higher than 230? 240? 250?