docpetey

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 10, 2002
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
Hey everyone,

On FREIDA, if it says that a program requires you to have passed USMLE Step II on there. Does that mean you had to have taken and passed Step II before they will match you, or just that you have to pass it before you start internship?

Thanks.

gutonc

No Meat, No Treat
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
docpetey said:
Hey everyone,

On FREIDA, if it says that a program requires you to have passed USMLE Step II on there. Does that mean you had to have taken and passed Step II before they will match you, or just that you have to pass it before you start internship?

Thanks.
The latter, not the former. Although depending on the specialty, some may expect you to have take it (and kicked it's butt) before you apply.

The general rule is that if you already look great on paper (research, AOA, excellent grades and letters, great Step 1 score) then put Step 2 off until after interview season. If your file could use a little polishing (in particular, your Step 1 score wasn't fantastic), take Step 2 early and rock it. Also, if you're an IMG/FMG, programs may require you to have taken and passed it.

BE (Now PE)

EM Junkie

SDN Donor
Gold Donor
15+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2003
Status
Attending Physician
brooklyneric said:
The latter, not the former. Although depending on the specialty, some may expect you to have take it (and kicked it's butt) before you apply.

The general rule is that if you already look great on paper (research, AOA, excellent grades and letters, great Step 1 score) then put Step 2 off until after interview season. If your file could use a little polishing (in particular, your Step 1 score wasn't fantastic), take Step 2 early and rock it. Also, if you're an IMG/FMG, programs may require you to have taken and passed it.

BE (Now PE)
Not entirely true. At least 2 Emergency Medicine programs I applied to (Shreveport and Texas Tech) required you to have passing scores on Step 2 CK and CS before they would rank you near the end of February. You have to check with each individual program. Typically their websites will list their exact requirements, and it will be more up to date than FREIDA.

Good luck!

hapahaole123

10+ Year Member
May 27, 2006
Status
EM Junkie said:
Not entirely true. At least 2 Emergency Medicine programs I applied to (Shreveport and Texas Tech) required you to have passing scores on Step 2 CK and CS before they would rank you near the end of February. You have to check with each individual program. Typically their websites will list their exact requirements, and it will be more up to date than FREIDA.

Good luck!
Many students go to schools that typically do not take step 2 until after match day. UCSF and Duke come to mind. Some programs require step 2 but many do not. I matched without taking step 2 prior to match day, and matched pretty gosh darn well.

EM Junkie

SDN Donor
Gold Donor
15+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2003
Status
Attending Physician
hapahaole123 said:
Many students go to schools that typically do not take step 2 until after match day. UCSF and Duke come to mind. Some programs require step 2 but many do not. I matched without taking step 2 prior to match day, and matched pretty gosh darn well.
Agreed, but the OP needs to be aware that this is changing slowly. I was advised not to take Step 2 until after Match Day, and had to scramble to reschedule both exams so that the results would be in by rank time for the 2 EM programs I mentioned above. It has nothing to do with the medical school you go to, but with the residency program to which you are applying.