Step I Step Ii Neurosis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Celiac Plexus

Senior Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ok, I take Step II in 2 days. .. And try as I might to relax, I can't seem to just let go at this point.

Basically I have scored about a 70% on NMS, and a 72% on q-bank. Although this is pretty neurotic, is there anyone here who scored in this range on these practice exams and still did not feel *good* about taking the exam?
 
okayyyyyyyyy.... Took the bad boy about 10 days ago... All I can say is that the test is too freakin' long. I made some dumb mistakes because I was tired of staring at a computer. It's only 1 block longer than step I, but the questions include so much unnecessary information that you just want to scream. For example, I got some question about a lady in the ER with abdominal pain. The question went through all kinds of exam findings, a bunch of labs (mostly normal and irrelevant), and at the end of the question there is the following... "Chest x-ray reveals free air under the right diaphragm. What is the most appropriate next step in treatment?" AAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGHHHH!!!!! That was during my 4th block before I took a break.

The hardest thing about that test is being forced to read through a bunch of stuff only to find out after you have read it that 90% of the information is just thrown in for padding. I am a medium-fast test-taker, and the most time I had left in a block after answering all the questions was about 2 minutes.

As for the difficulty of the test.... It was hard. At this point I just care about passing, but I have to say that it was pretty challenging. I prepared at about 50% strength compared to step I, and I think that I nearly underprepared. I did 80% of the Kaplan Q-bank and thought that it was decent preparation. Although, for Step I there was a much stronger correlation between Q-bank and the exam I thought. Kaplan questions did hit most of the subjects well enough so that I would recommend it. But don't expect any repeats like Step I. I did all 5 NMS tests in 5 days right before the exam. These exams were okay as far as preparing you for the real thing. The NMS exams cover a little too much detail, and I think that because of that they are not as high-yield for Step 2 as Q-bank was. I used Boards & Wards, and prescriptions for my "texts"... They were okay, I recommend them.

The test itself... pretty balanced subject questions... I have heard people say that their tests had a lot of ob/gyn/ or ortho, or whatever. Mine was really evenly balanced. Not as much psych, or ob/gyn, as I would have thought. And I expected more renal, and less cards... But overall it was pretty balanced.

I am pretty certain that I passed, but I know that I thought it would be easier than it was. If I had studied with the idea that I would "just pass", I am not sure if I would have. For me the hardest thing to deal with was the fatigue factor. I just got sick of reading normal lab values by the last couple of blocks, and wound up making some very, very dumb mistakes.

I'll post again when I get my score report... 😉
 
Well, I got the report several days ago...

Score: 226

Strengths (higher performance):
Surgery
Peds
Psych
Medicine : Heme/Onc, Renal, Endocrine


Weaknesses (borderline performance):
Medicine : Cards, Nutritional, Respiratory, d/o of pregnancy, childbirth, & puerperium.
Ob/Gyn
Preventive Medicine & Health Maintenace

Overall, I'm satisfied with the score considering that I studied a lot less for this one than Step I. I was expecting a lower score. But really, I was just relieved to pass. So, to all the US seniors out there who just want to pass and don't care about the score, I recommend the method and materials that I used. Good luck everyone!

P.S. - I know someone is gonna want to know... the mean was 215 with a standard deviation of 22, with "most scores falling between 140 and 260"...

P.P.S. - Just realized that I did not post my "method and materials"...

Texts: Prescriptions, and Boards and Wards (I read them each twice through). 800 Q-Bank Questions, and 5 NMS tests. I spent about 12 days studying spread over 2.5 weeks, about 8 hours a day. I would read sections in Prescriptions and B&W and then take the Q-Bank questions for that subject. As stated above, I took the 5 NMS exams over the 5 days before the real thing.
 
I just took step II 2 days ago. I also felt it was harder than expected, although, like yourself, I didn't give more than ~50% of what I did for step I. Was a little nervous right after the exam -- my goal is also "PASS" 🙂. Will post when I know how things went.

Congratulations on a passing step II score!