Step Ii Neurosis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Celiac Plexus

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, I take Step II in 2 days. .. And try as I might to relax, I can't seem to just let go at this point.

Basically I have scored about a 70% on NMS, and a 72% on q-bank. Although this is pretty neurotic, is there anyone here who scored in this range on these practice exams and still did not feel *good* about taking the exam?

Members don't see this ad.

okayyyyyyyyy.... Took the bad boy about 10 days ago... All I can say is that the test is too freakin' long. I made some dumb mistakes because I was tired of staring at a computer. It's only 1 block longer than step I, but the questions include so much unnecessary information that you just want to scream. For example, I got some question about a lady in the ER with abdominal pain. The question went through all kinds of exam findings, a bunch of labs (mostly normal and irrelevant), and at the end of the question there is the following... "Chest x-ray reveals free air under the right diaphragm. What is the most appropriate next step in treatment?" AAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGHHHH!!!!! That was during my 4th block before I took a break.

The hardest thing about that test is being forced to read through a bunch of stuff only to find out after you have read it that 90% of the information is just thrown in for padding. I am a medium-fast test-taker, and the most time I had left in a block after answering all the questions was about 2 minutes.

As for the difficulty of the test.... It was hard. At this point I just care about passing, but I have to say that it was pretty challenging. I prepared at about 50% strength compared to step I, and I think that I nearly underprepared. I did 80% of the Kaplan Q-bank and thought that it was decent preparation. Although, for Step I there was a much stronger correlation between Q-bank and the exam I thought. Kaplan questions did hit most of the subjects well enough so that I would recommend it. But don't expect any repeats like Step I. I did all 5 NMS tests in 5 days right before the exam. These exams were okay as far as preparing you for the real thing. The NMS exams cover a little too much detail, and I think that because of that they are not as high-yield for Step 2 as Q-bank was. I used Boards & Wards, and prescriptions for my "texts"... They were okay, I recommend them.

The test itself... pretty balanced subject questions... I have heard people say that their tests had a lot of ob/gyn/ or ortho, or whatever. Mine was really evenly balanced. Not as much psych, or ob/gyn, as I would have thought. And I expected more renal, and less cards... But overall it was pretty balanced.

I am pretty certain that I passed, but I know that I thought it would be easier than it was. If I had studied with the idea that I would "just pass", I am not sure if I would have. For me the hardest thing to deal with was the fatigue factor. I just got sick of reading normal lab values by the last couple of blocks, and wound up making some very, very dumb mistakes.

I'll post again when I get my score report... ;)

Well, I got the report several days ago...

Score: 226

Strengths (higher performance):
Surgery
Peds
Psych
Medicine : Heme/Onc, Renal, Endocrine

Weaknesses (borderline performance):
Medicine : Cards, Nutritional, Respiratory, d/o of pregnancy, childbirth, & puerperium.
Ob/Gyn
Preventive Medicine & Health Maintenace

Overall, I'm satisfied with the score considering that I studied a lot less for this one than Step I. I was expecting a lower score. But really, I was just relieved to pass. So, to all the US seniors out there who just want to pass and don't care about the score, I recommend the method and materials that I used. Good luck everyone!

P.S. - I know someone is gonna want to know... the mean was 215 with a standard deviation of 22, with "most scores falling between 140 and 260"...

P.P.S. - Just realized that I did not post my "method and materials"...

Texts: Prescriptions, and Boards and Wards (I read them each twice through). 800 Q-Bank Questions, and 5 NMS tests. I spent about 12 days studying spread over 2.5 weeks, about 8 hours a day. I would read sections in Prescriptions and B&W and then take the Q-Bank questions for that subject. As stated above, I took the 5 NMS exams over the 5 days before the real thing.

I just took step II 2 days ago. I also felt it was harder than expected, although, like yourself, I didn't give more than ~50% of what I did for step I. Was a little nervous right after the exam -- my goal is also "PASS" :). Will post when I know how things went.

Congratulations on a passing step II score!