Step II vs. Step III

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mohd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My question is: can I study for step III with step II and get it out of the way since I'm at it ? (I know this seems like a very primitive question)

So, I'm an IMG; I intend to apply for step II CK within the next 6 months and whenever I ask about step III I get the answer "its more oriented towards management" so I was thinking: after applying for step 2 will I have enough info to apply for step 3? maybe after solving some questions for ~4 weeks?

I know I can apply for step II CK before applying for step I . . . is the same true for step III ?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You have to be ECFMG certified to apply for Step 3, and for that you have to take all steps 1st (including CS); SOO, Step 3 is always the last one.

About your Step 3 question, is not that easy. 1st there's the CCS thing that you really have to practice and, besides that, are certaing management points in Step 3 that CK doesn't touch. My advice: Study Master the Boards for the CK and add Premier Review Notes to Master the boards for Step 3.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the reply!

It seems its not as simple as I thought (why am I not surprised?). The thing is the way my rotations are its much easier if I went for Step 2 first then step 1 . . . and I know that I can "top up" my step 2 CK info and go for step 3 while I'm at it (as an IMG that's a good boost) . . . .

Does any state allow you to set for step 3 before having step 1? that is can I apply for step 3 then get certified once I finish my step 1 . . . . I don't think so but it never hurts to ask!

Thanks again!

Thanks for the reply!

Does any state allow you to set for step 3 before having step 1? that is can I apply for step 3 then get certified once I finish my step 1 . . . . I don't think so but it never hurts to ask!

Thanks again!

No, no state lets you take them out of order, even as an AMG.

The absolute earliest an AMG can take Step 3 is after med school graduation. You don't need to be in residency to take step 3.

(Hope this helped at least a little!)

Thanks for your reply . . . it seems I'll have to redo my plans!!!