Jan 31, 2011
Status
Medical Student
Hi, could anyone tell me realistically how much of an actual difference in questions answered correctly on average corresponds to a difference in score on the usmle step 3? Like if I get a 199 on a usmle world self assessment, how many questions am I answering incorrectly (per block on avg) compared to someone who scored a 230? I realize that a lot of people may not really know the answer to this question. But if you have some idea, please help because that would help me reach my target scores by figuring out how many more questions I have to answer correctly for each block. I have two weeks prior to my exam date. Thanks so much!

p30doc

Ever true and unwavering
10+ Year Member
Aug 22, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
I suggest trying to answer them all correctly. ;)

SKG_MD

professional pill pusher
Nov 8, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
unsure considering the points per question ratio (if calculated) doesn't seem right .. so say if 75% needs to be right in order to just pass at 190 .. and a max score of 315 (theoretical) = 100% .. if you do the ratio .. it comes out to 190 = 60.5% (190*100 / 315) correct instead of 75% .. so can't calculate how much 1 question is worth since I'm sure it probably fluctuates.

Instatewaiter

But... there's a troponin
10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2006
Washington
Status
Attending Physician
Hi, could anyone tell me realistically how much of an actual difference in questions answered correctly on average corresponds to a difference in score on the usmle step 3? Like if I get a 199 on a usmle world self assessment, how many questions am I answering incorrectly (per block on avg) compared to someone who scored a 230? I realize that a lot of people may not really know the answer to this question. But if you have some idea, please help because that would help me reach my target scores by figuring out how many more questions I have to answer correctly for each block. I have two weeks prior to my exam date. Thanks so much!
Since we don't even know how it's scored, no we cant. Anyone who answers this question would just be guessing

OP
M
Jan 31, 2011
Status
Medical Student
Thanks guys. I appreciate your help and comments.--even though you couldn't give me an answer definitely, that's also helpful.

Jul 4, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
time to give back. Just took the beast and two days are done.

So basically i've been putting off step 3 because i've been lazy and what not. I was "scared" of this CCS portion and i tried to avoid it as much as possible during my prep.

I did uworld all in tutor mode and never mixed and got like 65% average or something. I did one of uworld stupid ccs cases and thought it was too hard. I dragged my feet doing those ccs cases. Then of course i was freaked out thinking about it during my day 1 mcq. Anyways, i would only read the answer explanations for the uworld cases only and right a little blurb about it in a notebook.

DO not do that. I thought the mcq was pretty straight forward for the most part.. i read both master the boards for step 2ck and step 3 at the same time bc i think its more complete.

Day 1: Flew by and i couldn't believe how the questions were pretty straight forward. This may be due to my extensive prep using both step 2ck and step 3 and psuedo outlining them and doing all of world and then redoing the mediicine questions all. But it wasn't bad... I kept thinking about how i was screwed for ccs especially because they started me late and i knew i'd be getting out late.

day 2: i finished day 1 and got out and it was almost 730pm... i went back to my stupid way of studying ccs and went thorugh all the cases reading only the answer explanations... its now 11 pm.. then i downloaded the nbme 6 cases and tried to do one and realized i didnt' know what the hell to do and almost had a panick attack thinking that im totally F'd.. i went back to world and picked the easiest cases and actually did them in their interactive mode and got at least more familiar with it and then reveiwed my notebook of blurbs about all 52 cases and basically thought id be screwed. I went to bed at 245 am after not sleeping much even before day 1. I even thought about pulling an all nighter but i'm glad i didn't.

The MCQ on day 2 were easier than day 1 and i was finishing 5 minutes early and just taking breaks. If you know outpt medicine thats what the exam is.. now finally i got to the ccs cases and once you know the software they really are not bad. I dont think uworld had covered them all but if you've done some medicine months then it makes it that much easier .
Bottom line. Get familiar with ccs from uworld by doing the cases and do the nbme 6 released cases and you won't have to have **** sleep and freak like i did. All my cases still ended early and no one died so i think i'll at least pass that part even on its own but still i was scared as hell.

Oh and another thing. I was being anal thinking i'd need to use kaplan qbook and qbank but im glad i didn't. stick to uworld and master the boards... ill update this with my score but it really felt like taking step 2ck again for the most part to be honest.