Step III/Step 3 resources

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JKP

Black Cloud
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the best resources for Step III?

Members don't see this ad.

JKP said:

so far i've heard Crush STep 3 from the residents at my school.

Also STrong medicine.

mixed reviews about strong medicine on amazon, but crush gets overwhelming good reviews typically.

Oh, and blueprints for cases

later

JKP said:

I'm using First Aid for Step 3, Boards and Wards and USMLE World for questions.

JKP said:

I used Strong Medicine which was sufficient. However, I found many typos in the book.

USMLE World for the cases.

Overall, I was sufficiently prepared and got the score I wanted.

Members don't see this ad :)
I used First Aid Step 3, Blueprints for CCS, NMS Step 3 and Crush Step 2 (two).
All 9 CCS cases were in First Aid Step 3.
I would do case 1 of the USMLE CD, then go through Blueprints, then do the other 4 cases. After that you will completely know how to approach it. You can now just read through the First Aid cases and try to remember, what you did not know anyway. For example how to approach Klinefelter syndrome longterm outpatient.

Lots of MC-questions are common sense.

Choosing between 1st Aid for Step 3 and Crush Step 3. Would love to read both but no time for this. Other suggestions appreciated.

What about Kaplan notes for Step 3 combined with USMLEworld questions?

Is USMLEworld the best source for questions?

Thanks!

Peeshee said:

Thanks!

I am planning on using USMLEWORLD just like i did for step 2. I think it was great. I will also use Kaplan q-bank if I have time left.

Peeshee said:

Thanks!

i have a stupid question, but what exactly is usmle world? is it a text of questions or a complete testing prep service like kaplan or an online bank of questions or some combination of the above. as i get ready to take step 3, this is the first i've heard of usmle world.

Its a web-based question service.

Apparently its better than Qbank (I havent used it yet).

It is definately cheaper...

Other than signing up for a Kaplan course for STEP 3, does anyone know how to get the Kaplan notes for step 3.

Thank
Pureride :)

Pureride said:
Other than signing up for a Kaplan course for STEP 3, does anyone know how to get the Kaplan notes for step 3.

Thank
Pureride :)

Kaplan sells the books by themselves at the kaplan website.

Otherwise, there's lots of people selling their stuff online, like on prep4usmle.com and other websites, yahoo/google classifieds. The thing is that the notes really depend on the lecture, i don't think they're very good otherwise, though i suppose they're a guideline.

just finished step 3 - that sucked.
how bad is it if you missed some key diagnostic tests but still ended up diagnosing and correctly treating the condition?

Blade28 said:
All the CCS cases are on computer, the second day of the test?

That's what I read on the Step 3 site, where you register for the exam.