Step Scores and Eras

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JohhnyDrama

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently awaiting my Step 2 CK/CS scores and have a quick question about the logistics of ERAs. Based on my reading of the ERAs FAQ, if I paid the $80 now and sent my Step One score, then my transcript should just state my Step One score since my CK/CS are still pending. Once the USMLE releases my CK/CS scores, I could review them and then chose to upload/not upload the scores for free. Is that correct?

Members don't see this ad.

Not exactly, because you can't pay the $80 fee now. You can only pay it when you first apply to programs, which can't happen until Sept 15th. If your scores haven't returned by then, you can apply to programs and then, yes, you can review your scores as they return and decide to retransmit (or not) for free. Retransmitting is an all-or-nothing event -- retransmitting sends your score updates to all programs, and sends them all available scores.

Reactions: 1 user
@aProgDirector .....With regard to the above discussion, is the elusive cutoff date for playing the "wait to see my score before I submit game" now September 6th, since we can submit our app 9 days earlier this year, and it appears to be "locked in" at that point? The language in an email I received was:

"We are giving applicants a head-start on the application process. Applicants may begin to apply on September 6, nine (9) days before programs are given access to the applications and supporting documents on September 15. All applications submitted between September 6 and 14 will be date-stamped “September 15, 2016” for programs. Applicants who certify and submit their applications, including applicants applying between September 6 and September 14, will not be able to make any changes to their application other than the information on the Personal Information page of their MyERAS application. ERAS will not provide refunds for any reason, so applicants should certify and submit only when they are certain their application is complete.

If an applicant requests a USMLE transcript before the USMLE Step 2 CK is released on September 14, their transcript will include only their prior score history. Once the new USMLE Step 2 CK scores are released on September 14, applicants will have to request an updated USMLE transcript. To ensure their newly released Step 2 CK scores are included, applicants may wish to wait until after 11 am on September 14th to release their complete score history."

This new system basically made it so even people who get their scores on Sep7 and Sep 14 can submit their app in advance of then (on Sep 6), see what their CK score is, and then if it is a good idea to retransmit their USMLE transcript again. And from the bolded part above, it even seems like you can request a USMLE transcript on Sep 6 and then even wait to actually submit the app until September 15, and it won't auto-add any newer scores. Am I correct?

Last edited:
@aProgDirector .....With regard to the above discussion, is the elusive cutoff date for playing the "wait to see my score before I submit game" now September 6th, since we can submit our app 9 days earlier this year, and it appears to be "locked in" at that point? The language in an email I received was:

"We are giving applicants a head-start on the application process. Applicants may begin to apply on September 6, nine (9) days before programs are given access to the applications and supporting documents on September 15. All applications submitted between September 6 and 14 will be date-stamped “September 15, 2016” for programs. Applicants who certify and submit their applications, including applicants applying between September 6 and September 14, will not be able to make any changes to their application other than the information on the Personal Information page of their MyERAS application. ERAS will not provide refunds for any reason, so applicants should certify and submit only when they are certain their application is complete.

If an applicant requests a USMLE transcript before the USMLE Step 2 CK is released on September 14, their transcript will include only their prior score history. Once the new USMLE Step 2 CK scores are released on September 14, applicants will have to request an updated USMLE transcript. To ensure their newly released Step 2 CK scores are included, applicants may wish to wait until after 11 am on September 14th to release their complete score history."

This new system basically made it so even people who get their scores on Sep7 and Sep 14 can submit their app in advance of then (on Sep 6), see what their CK score is, and then if it is a good idea to retransmit their USMLE transcript again. And from the bolded part above, it even seems like you can request a USMLE transcript on Sep 6 and then even wait to actually submit the app until September 15, and it won't auto-add any newer scores. Am I correct?

This is how I interpreted it, but I'm in your same position. Programs won't be able to see and confirm this until Sept 15th.

Since scores probably won't be back for anyone that took it after July 10th until Sept 14th, you could certainly submit the app first chance you get, then update only if you're happy with your score.