Step up for USMLE Step 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctordoctor

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone use this? looks like it just came out

Members don't see this ad.

doctordoctor said:

I have no idea about that.

But have a look at the is OSCEs Home website with resources and tips to prepare for the OSCEs.

www.oscehome.com

doctordoctor said:

I sorta used it with 1st aid Med/Ped/Surgery and kaplan qbank. The reason that i used is because i used StepUp for step I and loved it. In fact, I still used StepUp I this time for some references. And not to scare anyone, i didn't read through the first aids afromention thoroughly this time. I only did it while in rotations.

I didn't read through the whole Step Up II this time. I thought it was good in covering lots of topic. I like the fact that the book was thinner. I got Crush first but abandoned it after 2 chapters cuz it was just way too general and didn't cover enough topics. I like the tables. This book didn't go into details. This can be good (or bad) cuz the actual exam was very general.

However, I didn't like it as much as the StepUp1 book. The book covered more topics than Crush but it still didn't have enough information especially on derm, surgery, and infectious disease and rheum. That's the reason why i had to use first aids medicine/peds/surgery for some sections. This book didn't have enough "treatment" as in the first aid series (i don't know anything about first aid for the boards). The organization within chapters are not as nicely planed as the StepUpI book.

So in the end: it is an "ok" book. Like most study guides, it has some good points and bad. I think it is a Better investment than Crush the boards. but i don't think it is strong enough to stand alone without some supplement for details from the first aid books (not 1st aid for the boards). I also want to put in a plug for Kaplan Qbank which really helped me more than the books. I thought the questions were very similar to the actual test.

Anyway--no need to stress. The test is much better than step I if you actually learned and paid attention during all your other rotations.