Step Up Medicine Updates/Errata?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Roy7

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can get updates for Step UP? A lot of the information seems outdated and there are lots of typos, I want a nice simple errata page where I can find out what's currently correct.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reading the section on:

Microcytic Anemias, Iron Deficiency.
C. Diagnosis, e. (see Color Figure 9-1)

The image it sites is of a hypersegmented neutrophil, which I thought was pathognomonic for macrocytic anemia. The macrocytic anemia also sites this. Has anyone else noticed this?

:( outdated? Didn't it just come out like 2 months ago!? I was hoping to avoid that and countless errata by avoiding the First Aid series for this one.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's not a lot, but when I went thorugh it the first time during medicine I kept on finding errors with otherbooks/pubmed/cecils. Really bugged me.

But I guess there arent enough to start a thread, thanks anyways.

Has anyone compared the 2004 vs 2008 edition? Is tit worth getting the new edition?

4 years is a fairly long time between editions. How many $ of difference are you looking at?

Has anyone compared the 2004 vs 2008 edition? Is tit worth getting the new edition?

Haven't seen the new edition, but some changes from the Amazon description: "A new section in this Second Edition presents 100 USMLE-style clinical vignette-based questions with answers. A color insert contains over thirty full-color images. A companion Website will offer the fully searchable text and color photographs."

Used 2004 editions go for 15 bucks while 2008 goes for about 36 new.

It's not a lot, but when I went thorugh it the first time during medicine I kept on finding errors with otherbooks/pubmed/cecils. Really bugged me.

But I guess there arent enough to start a thread, thanks anyways.

I'm finding a lot of typos. And they're in fairly important places (like in charts that show cutoffs where a "<" is switched for a ">", etc). It's enough to start making me hesitant about the paragraph content too.

err those are some pretty egregious errors. Disappointing

Been using the 2nd edition...not many errors from my standpoint. Certainly not been an issue for me. Still by far the best book out there for medicine, IMO.:)

Does anyone know where I can get updates for Step UP? A lot of the information seems outdated and there are lots of typos, I want a nice simple errata page where I can find out what's currently correct.
I think we are going to have to make our own. Here is what I have found so far. If anyone else has some others that we've missed, it would be awesome if you'd add them.

-p. 69: Table 2-3 at the bottom of the page has two problems: First, it blurs mild persistent asthma with intermittent asthma. Mild intermittent asthma should have symptoms 2 or *fewer* times per week, not two or more times. Second, it leaves out mild persistent asthma as a category. Mild persistent asthma has symptoms more than 2x/week but not every day (which would be moderate persistent asthma). Treat mild persistent asthma w/ a low dose inhaled steroid. The chart is correct that mild intermittent asthma does not require any control medication.

-p. 73: This is another omission. Under section C (Diagnosis), add a point #7 for PET/SPECT as a method of detecting lung cancer. PET scanning uses fluorodeoxyglucose; this is effective b/c tumor cells take up and metabolize more glucose than normal parenchyma does. SPECT is a related technique that uses a radioactive isotope (technetium-99), which again is selectively taken up by the tumor cells and allows visualization of the tumor.

-p. 105: This is another omission. Under part b ("other causes include") at the top of the page, "Bleeding disorder (ex. hemophilia)" should be added to the differential for hemoptysis.

-p. 115: Typo at the bottom of the page. It should say, "Diet: limit protein to 30 to 40 *grams* per day", not milligrams!

-p. 137: Under point 2 (Lower GI bleeding), point a should say that diverticulosis is the most common source of GI bleeding in patients *over* age 60, not under. Point b underneath that one should say that angiodysplasia is the *second* most common source of bleeding in patients over age 60.

-p. 162: Typo under the section Thyroid Nodules, part A (General Characteristics). The second sentence in point 2 should say that multinodular conditions may be *misleading*, not leading.

-p. 163: Typo in box 4-5 at the bottom of the page. Under the heading Cold Nodules, the first point should read *Decreased* iodine uptake = hypofunctioning nodule, not increased.

-p. 170: Typo in the last sentence under Diagnosis, point #2 (Water Load Test). It should say that if a large amount of water is excreted in the urine (>65% in four hours), consider SIADH an *unlikely* diagnosis, not a likely one. A normal person should excrete >65% of a water load within four hours (or >80% in 5 hours). One source I checked stated that SIADH pts often only excrete <40% of the water load after five hours.

-p. 175: This is the error that Ashers found. Under Section D (Treatment), point 2 should say that medical treatment consists of *alpha* blockers (phenoxybenzamine), not beta blockers. (Just FYI, beta blockers can be added afterward if needed, but they should not be used first to avoid precipitating a hypertensive crisis due to unopposed stimulation of alpha receptors.)

-p. 181: Typo at the bottom under point b (Regimens), second point. The part in parentheses at the end should say that "one-half to two-thirds of this dose will be NPH and one-third to one-*half* regular", not one-third to one-third.

-p. 185: Typo in the margin under "definition of microalbuminuria." The second line should read, "20 to 200 *micrograms* per minute", not grams. (I did the conversion, and 20-200 ug/min does come out to be about 30-300 mg/day.)

-p. 185: The chart of diabetes drugs at the bottom of the page omits two new and important classes of drugs: DPP-IV inhibitors (sitagliptin), and incretin mimetics (exenatide). The DPP-IV inhibitors inhibit the enzyme dipeptidyl peptidase IV, which breaks down the incretins (GLP-1 and GIP). Incretin mimetics stimulate insulin secretion in a glucose-dependent fashion and also inhibit glucagon secretion.

-p. 318: This is the mistake that laxman found. At the very bottom of the page under Section C (Diagnosis), cross out the part in parentheses that says, "See color figure 9-1". This figure is correctly cited at the bottom of p. 321 as a picture of a hypersegmented neutrophil.

-p. 411: The authors seem to have a real issue with confusing alpha and beta blockers! Point b at the top of the page is labeled beta blockers, and that is correct. Point f, on the other hand, should be labeled *alpha* blockers, not beta blockers. While you're correcting this page anyway, I would also add that beta blockers are thought to decrease sympathetic outflow (in addition to decreasing HR and CO). Alpha blockers also relax vascular smooth muscle (as well as decreasing arteriolar resistance).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think we are going to have to make our own. Here is what I have found so far. If anyone else has some others that we've missed, it would be awesome if you'd add them.

-p. 69: Table 2-3 at the bottom of the page has two problems: First, it blurs mild persistent asthma with intermittent asthma. Mild intermittent asthma should have symptoms 2 or *fewer* times per week, not two or more times. Second, it leaves out mild persistent asthma as a category. Mild persistent asthma has symptoms more than 2x/week but not every day (which would be moderate persistent asthma). Treat mild persistent asthma w/ a low dose inhaled steroid. The chart is correct that mild intermittent asthma does not require any control medication.

-p. 73: This is another omission. Under section C (Diagnosis), add a point #7 for PET/SPECT as a method of detecting lung cancer. PET scanning uses fluorodeoxyglucose; this is effective b/c tumor cells take up and metabolize more glucose than normal parenchyma does. SPECT is a related technique that uses a radioactive isotope (technetium-99), which again is selectively taken up by the tumor cells and allows visualization of the tumor.

-p. 105: This is another omission. Under part b ("other causes include") at the top of the page, "Bleeding disorder (ex. hemophilia)" should be added to the differential for hemoptysis.

-p. 115: Typo at the bottom of the page. It should say, "Diet: limit protein to 30 to 40 *grams* per day", not milligrams!

-p. 137: Under point 2 (Lower GI bleeding), point a should say that diverticulosis is the most common source of GI bleeding in patients *over* age 60, not under. Point b underneath that one should say that angiodysplasia is the *second* most common source of bleeding in patients over age 60.

-p. 162: Typo under the section Thyroid Nodules, part A (General Characteristics). The second sentence in point 2 should say that multinodular conditions may be *misleading*, not leading.

-p. 163: Typo in box 4-5 at the bottom of the page. Under the heading Cold Nodules, the first point should read *Decreased* iodine uptake = hypofunctioning nodule, not increased.

-p. 170: Typo in the last sentence under Diagnosis, point #2 (Water Load Test). It should say that if a large amount of water is excreted in the urine (>65% in four hours), consider SIADH an *unlikely* diagnosis, not a likely one. A normal person should excrete >65% of a water load within four hours (or >80% in 5 hours). One source I checked stated that SIADH pts often only excrete <40% of the water load after five hours.

-p. 175: This is the error that Ashers found. Under Section D (Treatment), point 2 should say that medical treatment consists of *alpha* blockers (phenoxybenzamine), not beta blockers. (Just FYI, beta blockers can be added afterward if needed, but they should not be used first to avoid precipitating a hypertensive crisis due to unopposed stimulation of alpha receptors.)

-p. 181: Typo at the bottom under point b (Regimens), second point. The part in parentheses at the end should say that "one-half to two-thirds of this dose will be NPH and one-third to one-*half* regular", not one-third to one-third.

-p. 185: Typo in the margin under "definition of microalbuminuria." The second line should read, "20 to 200 *micrograms* per minute", not grams. (I did the conversion, and 20-200 ug/min does come out to be about 30-300 mg/day.)

-p. 185: The chart of diabetes drugs at the bottom of the page omits two new and important classes of drugs: DPP-IV inhibitors (sitagliptin), and incretin mimetics (exenatide). The DPP-IV inhibitors inhibit the enzyme dipeptidyl peptidase IV, which breaks down the incretins (GLP-1 and GIP). Incretin mimetics stimulate insulin secretion in a glucose-dependent fashion and also inhibit glucagon secretion.

-p. 318: This is the mistake that laxman found. At the very bottom of the page under Section C (Diagnosis), cross out the part in parentheses that says, "See color figure 9-1". This figure is correctly cited at the bottom of p. 321 as a picture of a hypersegmented neutrophil.

-p. 411: The authors seem to have a real issue with confusing alpha and beta blockers! Point b at the top of the page is labeled beta blockers, and that is correct. Point f, on the other hand, should be labeled *alpha* blockers, not beta blockers. While you're correcting this page anyway, I would also add that beta blockers are thought to decrease sympathetic outflow (in addition to decreasing HR and CO). Alpha blockers also relax vascular smooth muscle (as well as decreasing arteriolar resistance).

Hey I just wanted to say thanks, this is very helpful Q.

Edit: also...p.183, Figure 4-6: Pretty sure the 3rd level of the flow chart is supposed to read "70% NPH (2/3)....30% regular (1/3)" on both limbs of the insulin dosing schematic, not "NPH" all the way across.

Last edited:
Hey I just wanted to say thanks, this is very helpful Q.

Edit: also...p.183, Figure 4-6: Pretty sure the 3rd level of the flow chart is supposed to read "70% NPH (2/3)....30% regular (1/3)" on both limbs of the insulin dosing schematic, not "NPH" all the way across.
Hey, good catch. :thumbup: I didn't see that one. Adding to the master list.

-p. 183: This is the mistake that JeffLebowski found. In Figure 4-6 at the bottom of the page, the third line of the flowchart is mislabeled. Under the left side (24 units heading), the two divisions should be "70% NPH" and "30% *regular*, not 30% NPH. The same mistake occurs on the right side of the flowchart under the 12 units heading. Again, it should read "70% NPH" and "30% *regular*, not 30% NPH.

Not a huge deal, but on page 38 under Aortic regurg pathophys is should read "Regurgitant blood flow increases left ventricular end diastolic pressure, not and

-p. 38: This is the typo that BiologyBY found. Under Aortic Regurgitation, part A (General characteristics), point #1, it should read that regurgitant blood flow increases left ventricular *end* diastolic volume, not and diastolic volume.

-p. 183: This is the mistake that JeffLebowski found. In Figure 4-6 at the bottom of the page, the third line of the flowchart is mislabeled. Under the left side (24 units heading), the two divisions should be "70% NPH" and "30% *regular*, not 30% NPH. The same mistake occurs on the right side of the flowchart under the 12 units heading. Again, it should read "70% NPH" and "30% *regular*, not 30% NPH.

-p. 207: The section on therapies for Alzheimer's disease is pretty out of date. There are basically two classes of drugs in current use: acetylcholinesterase inhibitors, and NMDA receptor antagonists. Two AChE inhibitors, tacrine and donepezil, are mentioned under section D (Treatment). The book notes under point 2 that tacrine is not used very much b/c of the dosing regimen, but the main reason is actually because tacrine is so hepatotoxic. Currently, donepezil, galantamine, and rivastigmine are the most commonly used AChE inhibitors in Alzheimer's disease. The NMDA receptor antagonist in use is memantine. (Just add a point 5 for "NMDA receptor antagonists" under section D, because this class of drugs is not even mentioned.)

-p. 207: The Quick Hit note has an error. It's not true that tacrine and donepezil are the only FDA-approved agents; the other three drugs I listed are approved for treating Alzheimer's disease as well. Just cross out that phrase in the margin ("donepezil and tacrine are the only FDA-approved agents...").

One more, page 177, Adrenal Insufficiency point B (Clinical features) letter d should read HYPOTENSION not HTN. Same thing across from it under quick-hit should read postural hypotension not HTN. Keep editing QofQuimica, good job

Ugh, I lent my step up out to someone, but I kept making notes in the margins about ridiculously wrong stuff. One of them I got burned about during rounds, and my attending actually accused me of using Step Up (how did she know?!) because it was wrong -- pleural fluid glucopenia => rheumatoid arthritis. Step Up lists it as HIGH glucose. Can someone find the page reference for me and put it down?

Incidentally, why is this? High glucose utilization during inflammation?

One more, page 177, Adrenal Insufficiency point B (Clinical features) letter d should read HYPOTENSION not HTN. Same thing across from it under quick-hit should read postural hypotension not HTN. Keep editing QofQuimica, good job
Good catch; I totally missed both of those. Adding to the master list.

Ugh, I lent my step up out to someone, but I kept making notes in the margins about ridiculously wrong stuff. One of them I got burned about during rounds, and my attending actually accused me of using Step Up (how did she know?!) because it was wrong -- pleural fluid glucopenia => rheumatoid arthritis. Step Up lists it as HIGH glucose. Can someone find the page reference for me and put it down?

Incidentally, why is this? High glucose utilization during inflammation?
You must have the old edition. In my edition, which is the 2nd ed., there is a table of extra-articular manifestations of RA on page 246. The first point in the third box for pulmonary symptoms says in bold type, "Pleural fluid characteristically has very low glucose..."

I looked up the answer to your question, and the reason why you don't know is because no one else knows for sure, either. There is a NEJM paper from 1966 that suggested the low pleural fluid glucose is due to impairment of glucose transfer from the blood to the pleural space, which occurs when the pleura become inflamed. This is also thought to be why the pH of the pleural fluid is low: there is impairment of transfer of acidic anaerobic metabolites across the inflamed pleura into the blood. But as for why this proposed blockade happens, who knows. I found a 2005 case report that cited the 1966 paper, so clearly researchers still don't really know what exactly is going on here. This is completely irrelevant, but I thought it was an interesting tidbit. Apparently, most RA patients who get pleural effusions are men (75%), even though most RA patients are women (75%).

Hey anon, when you get your Step Up back, will you please post your errata? Even though it's the first edition, some of the errors may not have been corrected. I'll check what you found against mine and post any errors that still need to be corrected in the second ed.

Thanks to both of you for your help. We're getting a great list here. :thumbup:

-p. 38: This is the first typo that BiologyBY found. Under Aortic Regurgitation, part A (General characteristics), point #1, it should read that regurgitant blood flow increases left ventricular *end* diastolic volume, not and diastolic volume.

-p. 177: This error was found by BiologyBY. Section B (Clinical Features), point 1 (lack of cortisol), letter d should read *hypotension* (especially orthostatic), not HTN. Make the same correction in the quick hit in the margin that is entitled "most common clinical findings of adrenal insufficiency." The sixth symptom is postural *hypotension*, not postural HTN. While you're making this correction, I would add an eighth clinical finding for adrenal insufficiency that I got pimped about, which is eosinophilia. (Just put another point for "eosinophilia" under "abdominal pain.")

-p. 207: The section on therapies for Alzheimer's disease is pretty out of date. There are basically two classes of drugs in current use: acetylcholinesterase inhibitors, and NMDA receptor antagonists. Two AChE inhibitors, tacrine and donepezil, are mentioned under section D (Treatment). The book notes under point 2 that tacrine is not used very much b/c of the dosing regimen, but the main reason is actually because tacrine is so hepatotoxic. Currently, donepezil, galantamine, and rivastigmine are the most commonly used AChE inhibitors in Alzheimer's disease. The NMDA receptor antagonist in use is memantine. (Just add a point 5 for "NMDA receptor antagonists" under section D, because this class of drugs is not even mentioned.)

-p. 207: The Quick Hit note has an error. It's not true that tacrine and donepezil are the only FDA-approved agents; the other three drugs I listed are approved for treating Alzheimer's disease as well. Just cross out that phrase in the margin ("donepezil and tacrine are the only FDA-approved agents...").

You must have the old edition. In my edition, which is the 2nd ed., there is a table of extra-articular manifestations of RA on page 246. The first point in the third box for pulmonary symptoms says in bold type, "Pleural fluid characteristically has very low glucose..."

Actually, I have the second edition! The mistake is not in the RA section but the section where they talk about pleural effusions in general and what to order there... it's a table, and the actual mistake is an up arrow instead of a down arrow, I believe. I can just see it in my book!

Thanks for the research on the answer! It's interesting! And yes, I will post my errata once I get the book back.

Aww, Step-Up to Medicine in general is pretty awesome, but as others have noted, very very outdated in certain sections. For the Heme/Onc chapter:

p344 - More of an omission than an issue of being out to date, but it's worth mentioning that the t(15, 17) APL (acute promyelocytic leukemia) subset of AML is extremely treatable with ATRA (all trans retinoic acid) + chemo, which essentially cures ~90%(!) of APL patients. Treatment with ATRA induces maturation of the formerly immature neoplastic cells (which had a maturation block), while the subsequent chemo finishes the job by killing off these cells.

p345 - The discussion of treatment for CML is entirely outdated. NB: Gleevec (generic: imatinib), the current standard of care for CML, is essentially curative in the vast majority (~90%!) of CML patients. It is now entirely possible (and likely) for patients to live a full lifespan after successful treatment. Gleevec is is a selective tyrosine kinase inhibitor that specifically targets the dysfunctional chimeric protein formed by the t(9,22) translocation that defines CML. It's probably the most selective and one of the most successful antineoplastic drugs ever developed. Very interesting to read about if you have a special interest in CML ;)

Last edited:
an important association to add. On page 222 under Von Hippel-Lindau disease, add another bullet, there is association with pheochromocytomas

good work everyone on finding all the errors! I just got a response email from step up medicine and they're looking to see if they have an errata somewhere. when they give me the final answer, I'll post it on here

another typo, page 264, quick hit Pre-renal failure vs ATN. ATN should say urine Osmolarity <350, not >350

page 278 table 7-5 Under nephrotic syndrome lab findings, it should read "urine protein excretion rate >3.5g/24h not <3.5

May be we'll get a job as reviewers for Step-up? :)))

page 296 Hyponatremia letter A. point 3 should read Na level falls to <120 instead of >120

page 311 Figure 8-7 C. it should read "change in AG is greater than the change in HCO3" not less.

-p. 38: This is the first typo that BiologyBY found. Under Aortic Regurgitation, part A (General characteristics), point #1, it should read that regurgitant blood flow increases left ventricular *end* diastolic volume, not and diastolic volume.

-p. 177: This error was found by BiologyBY. Section B (Clinical Features), point 1 (lack of cortisol), letter d should read *hypotension* (especially orthostatic), not HTN. Make the same correction in the quick hit in the margin that is entitled "most common clinical findings of adrenal insufficiency." The sixth symptom is postural *hypotension*, not postural HTN. While you're making this correction, I would add an eighth clinical finding for adrenal insufficiency that I got pimped about, which is eosinophilia. (Just put another point for "eosinophilia" under "abdominal pain.")

-p. 222: This change was contributed by BiologyBY. Under Von Hippel-Lindau Disease, add a fourth point that states, "Associated with pheochromocytomas."

-p. 264: This typo was found by BiologyBY. In the Quick Hit entitled "Pre-renal failure vs ATN", the entry in the first row (Urine Osmolarity) under ATN should say *<*350, not >350.

-p. 278: This typo was found by BiologyBY. In the third section of Table 7-5(Laboratory findings), in the right hand column under Nephrotic Syndrome, the first line should read "Urine protein excretion rate *>*3.5g/24h", not <3.5

-p. 296: This typo was found by BiologyBY. The first sentence in the section on Hyponatremia, section A, point 3 should read that "Symptoms usually begin when the Na+ level falls to *<*120 mEq/L", not >120.

-p. 311: This typo was found by BiologyBY. The second sentence of the caption to Part C of Figure 8-7 should read "The change in AG is *greater* than the change in HCO3-" not less than the change. The second sentence of the caption to Part B, which also reads "The change in AG is less than the change in HCO3-" is correct as written.

-p. 344: This addition was contributed by WayChanger. The book comes up woefully short in its discussion of acute leukemias, and acute promyelocytic leukemia is not even mentioned at all. I think the best way to handle this is to add a Quick Hit in the margin on this page below the two that are already there. The new Quick Hit should say that "The t(15,17) APL subset of AML is treatable with ATRA (all trans retinoic acid) + chemo, which appears to cure ~90% of APL patients. Treatment with ATRA induces maturation of the immature neoplastic cells (which had a maturation block), and the subsequent chemo kills off these cells."

-p. 345: Another change contributed by WayChanger. The discussion of CML treatments is out of date. First, under CML, Section A (General Characteristics), Point 5, the sentence should be changed to read "....but the average is 3 years without modern treatments." Then, under CML, Section D (Treatment), point 2 should be changed to read that an alkylating agent or antimetabolite *was formerly* used to treat the chronic phase, not that either is used currently. Finally, in the margin next to Section D, include another Quick Hit: "Imatinib (Gleevec) is the current standard of care for CML. It is is a selective tyrosine kinase inhibitor that targets the dysfunctional chimeric protein bcr-abl formed by the t(9,22) Philadelphia chromosome." (Note: I am taking out the part WayChanger wrote about imatinib being curative, since the drug has not been around long enough for us to know for sure whether these pts will indeed live out normal lifespans. But it does appear to be curative in most cases, at least so far.)

great job everyone, kudos to QofQ for putting time to type up all the errata. Will keep on posting if something is found

P. 413 6 c third bullet HDL value should be <40 (rather than <35). At least according to AHA/ATPIII criteria

P. 413 6 c third bullet HDL value should be <40 (rather than <35). At least according to AHA/ATPIII criteria
Yeah, you're right, at least for men. For women, the AHA site says that <50 HDL is a risk factor. The part about HDL >60 being a negative risk factor is correct.

Here's one more thing that I just found confusing: on p. 392, under "Neutropenic Fever," the fourth point says that you should obtain the following for any neutropenic patient with a fever: CXR, PAN culture.... In parentheses, it then lists a bunch of different places to culture. I think they just mean pan-culture as in, culture everything in general, because I don't know of anything that PAN could be besides polyarteritis nodosa, which makes no sense. If they mean pan-culture, then capitalizing the word so that it looks like an acronym is confusing. It should be lower-cased.

Page 296, the quick hit on the bottom of the page, 2nd point should read hypovolemia and hypervolemia are caused by too little and too much sodium, as opposed to the contrary.

Page 354, 1st quick hit. Gohn's focus is a calcified primary focus, as opposed to Gohn's complex. Ranke's complex is also known as Gohn's complex, but this is not an error. Also change the corresponding text in the 2nd point under C. Diagnosis -> 2. CXR -> b. Other possible findings.

2 more:

Page 385, table 10-10 under Q fever, clinical findings, the text reading "Chronic: rifampin" should be switched over to the treatment column.

Page 392 table 10-13, under meningitis it should read "See Table 10-3," not 10-6

no response from the authors yet regarding an errata site for step up...I'll keep everyone posted if I get an email. anyone tried writing them and got a response? maybe it's the email blocker at my school?

pg. 409, table 12-1, the famous yr 2003 JNC HTN classification from JAMA:

Under Prehypertension, it should say 120-139 or 80-89, not "and"

-p. 222: This change was contributed by BiologyBY. Under Von Hippel-Lindau Disease, add a fourth point that states, "Associated with pheochromocytomas."

-p. 264: This typo was found by BiologyBY. In the Quick Hit entitled "Pre-renal failure vs ATN", the entry in the first row (Urine Osmolarity) under ATN should say *<*350, not >350.

-p. 275 under Hematuria, A. General Characteristics, point 4, it should read "if large clots form in the lower GU tract", not GI tract.

-p. 278: This typo was found by BiologyBY. In the third section of Table 7-5(Laboratory findings), in the right hand column under Nephrotic Syndrome, the first line should read "Urine protein excretion rate *>*3.5g/24h", not <3.5

-p. 296: This typo was found by BiologyBY. The first sentence in the section on Hyponatremia, section A, point 3 should read that "Symptoms usually begin when the Na+ level falls to *<*120 mEq/L", not >120.

-p. 296, the quick hit on the bottom of the page, 2nd point should read hypovolemia and hypervolemia are caused by too little and too much sodium, as opposed to the contrary.

-p. 311: This typo was found by BiologyBY. The second sentence of the caption to Part C of Figure 8-7 should read "The change in AG is *greater* than the change in HCO3-" not less than the change. The second sentence of the caption to Part B, which also reads "The change in AG is less than the change in HCO3-" is correct as written.

-p. 344: This addition was contributed by WayChanger. The book comes up woefully short in its discussion of acute leukemias, and acute promyelocytic leukemia is not even mentioned at all. I think the best way to handle this is to add a Quick Hit in the margin on this page below the two that are already there. The new Quick Hit should say that "The t(15,17) APL subset of AML is treatable with ATRA (all trans retinoic acid) + chemo, which appears to cure ~90% of APL patients. Treatment with ATRA induces maturation of the immature neoplastic cells (which had a maturation block), and the subsequent chemo kills off these cells."

-p. 345: Another change contributed by WayChanger. The discussion of CML treatments is out of date. First, under CML, Section A (General Characteristics), Point 5, the sentence should be changed to read "....but the average is 3 years without modern treatments." Then, under CML, Section D (Treatment), point 2 should be changed to read that an alkylating agent or antimetabolite *was formerly* used to treat the chronic phase, not that either is used currently. Finally, in the margin next to Section D, include another Quick Hit: "Imatinib (Gleevec) is the current standard of care for CML. It is is a selective tyrosine kinase inhibitor that targets the dysfunctional chimeric protein bcr-abl formed by the t(9,22) Philadelphia chromosome." (Note: I am taking out the part WayChanger wrote about imatinib being curative, since the drug has not been around long enough for us to know for sure whether these pts will indeed live out normal lifespans. But it does appear to be curative in most cases, at least so far.)

-p. 354, 1st quick hit. Gohn's focus is a calcified primary focus, as opposed to Gohn's complex. Ranke's complex is also known as Gohn's complex, but this is not an error. Also change the corresponding text in the 2nd point under C. Diagnosis -> 2. CXR -> b. Other possible findings.

-p. 385, table 10-10 under Q fever, clinical findings, the text reading "Chronic: rifampin" should be switched over to the treatment column.

-p. 392 table 10-13, under meningitis it should read "See Table 10-3," not 10-6

-p. 392, under "Neutropenic Fever," the fourth point says that you should obtain the following for any neutropenic patient with a fever: CXR, PAN culture.... In parentheses, it then lists a bunch of different places to culture. I think they just mean pan-culture as in, culture everything in general, because I don't know of anything that PAN could be besides polyarteritis nodosa, which makes no sense. If they mean pan-culture, then capitalizing the word so that it looks like an acronym is confusing. It should be lower-cased.

-p. 409 under Prehypertension, it should say 120-139 or 80-89, not "and"

-p. 413 6 c third bullet HDL value should be <40 (rather than <35). At least according to AHA/ATPIII criteria

Last edited:
Says treatment consists of Aspirin
Then points out that NSAIDs and steroids are contraindicated...checked some sources and it points out NSAIDs/Aspirin are treatment of choice. Steroids are not first line, however, if unsuccessful with the NSAIDs steroids may be used. Anyone else agree what they wrote is misleading/wrong?

Sorry...its on page 12

Says treatment consists of Aspirin
Then points out that NSAIDs and steroids are contraindicated...checked some sources and it points out NSAIDs/Aspirin are treatment of choice. Steroids are not first line, however, if unsuccessful with the NSAIDs steroids may be used. Anyone else agree what they wrote is misleading/wrong?

Sorry...its on page 12
Great catch!!! You are absolutely right, indomethacin is used most commonly, but ibuprofen and ASA are just as good. Steroids are the 2nd choice. Colchicine added in pts with 1st attack of viral or idiopathic pericarditis as it decreases recurrence rate from 32 to 11 percent

Just wanted to let everyone know, I got in touch with Dr. Agabegi and he is thanking everyone for putting your time into posting your corrections. Next edition will have these corrections in place

Just wanted to let everyone know, I got in touch with Dr. Agabegi and he is thanking everyone for putting your time into posting your corrections. Next edition will have these corrections in place
Thanks to you for letting him know, and also to everyone who found errors. There were a bunch that I totally missed and you folks caught. I will update the SDN master list when I get a chance. Still need to read the neuro chapter, so we may yet find a few more. ;)

Bio, it would also be a huge help for other students if he could ask LWW to post our errata list on their website. I know they're aware that we made it, b/c I told their rep about it during the TPW a month ago, but I'm not sure if they ever posted it.