• Scariest Story Contest

Now that it's getting close to Halloween, we're running a contest to hear your scariest stories! These can be scary stories that you've experienced or stories that you've heard and the story with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

Step up to medicine

TheCat

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2005
  1. Medical Student
    Has anyone used this step-up to medicine? I really like it from what I can see but has anyone had experience with it for the shelf or step 2? I love the outline and organization and how it intergrates a lot of bullet points but also has paragraph explanations for the more important stuff. Anyone any insight? thanks!

Clevername

10+ Year Member
    5+ Year Member
    Feb 5, 2005
      I second that. step up medicine has recently become THE book for not just the medicine rotation but for overall fund of knowledge for 3rd year.

In fact, the clerkship director at our medical school recommended it to us and there is talk about making this "required" reading for the rotation. I think that when attendings recommend a REVIEW BOOK, it speaks volumes. They generally tend to frown on review books and favor large heavy texts.

In any case, I used it and did very well on both medicine and family practice shelfs. it is just a great source.

About the Ads

10+ Year Member
      Feb 15, 2005
      1. Attending Physician
        Clevername said:
        I second that. step up medicine has recently become THE book for not just the medicine rotation but for overall fund of knowledge for 3rd year.

In fact, the clerkship director at our medical school recommended it to us and there is talk about making this "required" reading for the rotation. I think that when attendings recommend a REVIEW BOOK, it speaks volumes. They generally tend to frown on review books and favor large heavy texts.

In any case, I used it and did very well on both medicine and family practice shelfs. it is just a great source.

I used it as much as I had time for and thought it was really helpful. I did really well on the shelf and I thought it was a helpful source as well as MKSAP

PTOSIS

10+ Year Member
        5+ Year Member
        Sep 9, 2004
          does this book explain the "why" behind things? i don't really like nms or boards and wards because outline format only tells you what things happen , but never the why.

Pitt Panther

The Best Baller in PA
          10+ Year Member
          15+ Year Member
          Jul 22, 2002
          I'm everywhere.
          1. Resident [Any Field]
            It's the only book that I have which goes on every single rotation as a third year...

Pros
            Good format:
            Signs/Sympts, Dgx, and Treatment (w/ explanation...for the most part). Brief but still pretty thorough.

Cons
            A few errors and the fact that it can't fit in my pocket.

About the Ads
            This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
            2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
            5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
            6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            7. This thread is locked.