Step1 vs UW

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meerak

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How is the real thing compared to UW?

Is it more direct (and a bit easier), or just like UW?

Also wt about the question stem length?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Difficulty-wise I thought mine was 60:40 UW:NBME. There were a few triple jump or obscure details per block, but for the most part it was just like doing questions out of a bank. I thought, in general, stems were shorter than UW stems. While good that you have less to read through, you also have a couple less hints so double-edged sword there.

I know people talk about % correct on UW and what that approximates out to step 1 scores.. what was the general rule of thumb again? You want to be in the 60s and 70%s? Is this on tutor mode? Random mode? Doesnt matter what mode?

I ve done about 200ish UW questions and I ve been scoring in the upper 60s? I know 200 isnt that many so far, but where do I sit going by the rule? 220s? 230s?

I know people talk about % correct on UW and what that approximates out to step 1 scores.. what was the general rule of thumb again? You want to be in the 60s and 70%s? Is this on tutor mode? Random mode? Doesnt matter what mode?

I ve done about 200ish UW questions and I ve been scoring in the upper 60s? I know 200 isnt that many so far, but where do I sit going by the rule? 220s? 230s?

I heard if you're not getting in the 80%s, you can kiss 240 goodbye.

:p

Just kidding, of course. If you search Google for "usmleworld score predictor" the first result gives you the formula :)

(UW% x 2.4) + 84 = 3-digit score