Sterile Compounding Business

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

baronzb

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
editors

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Obviously, know sterile technique. Tpn's aren't that difficult, just like making a giant IV. I would know the basics of a 3 in 1 TPN, in case they decide to test you (there was someone here who said they were asked to write out a forumla for a TPN from scratch during an interview.)

Infusion, I would think they talking just about regular IV infusions or PPN's? You surely did infusions in the hospital, if you did IV's.

Intrathecal, I suppose it would be a good idea to know what medicines are commonly given intrathecally. I don't know anything about actually mixing intrathecal medicines.

I recently visited a facility, they let go of previous manager and hired someone new who know the rules intimately. Thus, the skill sets are quite different based on the position.
Depends on the role of this position, if the job is managerial in nature, you must get yourself up to speed with USP 800, and knowing all the testing process. If a staff job, just make sure you can articulate good techniques. Prepare to have a good story either about why you are interested in compounding, or how one time you have improve a process or cut cost.
Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you made chemotherapy before? It's not that hard, but the hoods and technique are different, so you might want to read up on that. I wouldn't think they would expect you to know the details about all kinds of chemo.