Steroid injection into ligament (LCL)

Started by Evergreen1
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Evergreen1

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've been consulted regarding possibly performing steroid injection to this man's knee lateral collateral ligament because he has persistent pain and clicking. I've yet to see him or his MRI, but I'm a little hesitant to do something like that. I've never injected steroid directly into a knee ligament. I've done PRP to a nearby structure, biceps femoris tendon, but not steroid.

Has anybody injected steroid to LCL (or MCL or distal hamstring tendon)? If so, can you share any procedural tips and also talk about the outcome from the injection?
 
I've been consulted regarding possibly performing steroid injection to this man's knee lateral collateral ligament because he has persistent pain and clicking. I've yet to see him or his MRI, but I'm a little hesitant to do something like that. I've never injected steroid directly into a knee ligament. I've done PRP to a nearby structure, biceps femoris tendon, but not steroid.

Has anybody injected steroid to LCL (or MCL or distal hamstring tendon)? If so, can you share any procedural tips and also talk about the outcome from the injection?

I have always been told not to inject steroids into ligaments. Prolo or PRP might be a better choice.

Biomaterials. 1995 Aug;16(12):905-10.
Effects of a delayed steroid injection on ligament healing using a rabbit medial collateral ligament model.
Walsh WR, Wiggins ME, Fadale PD, Ehrlich MG.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8562778

Not sure if there are any human studies.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah I'd never done this and didn't sound like something I wanted to do. But I thought I'd check here.
 
PRP, but use US.

US for everything..😀

Since you didn't elaborate, I'll go out on a limb and say it was probably one of those eval and treat requests. If not your response should have been "huh? We don't inject steroids into ligaments."