SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Stethoscope advice

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by Joejitsu, Sep 9, 2000.

1. Joejitsu

Joejitsu Member 10+ Year Member

Jun 6, 2000
    Any med students have advice for which stethoscope to purchase or avoid for med school. I was looking into the Littmann Cardiology III, but even at $118 (the lowest price I've found), I'm a little hesitant that it may be more than I need throughout med school. Comments?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. I think in this case it is true that you get what you pay for.

Early on in my clinical years I lost my Litmann and bought a cheap $25 stethoscope. It sucked. I couldn't hear any murmurs and could barely hear the lub-dub and breath sounds.

Then Cardiology III is a great stethoscope. Any Litmann (or HP) is a very fine product. I would avoid the lightweight version except as a back-up.

Generally, the thicker the tube, the better the sound.

HP also has a "stethos" electronic stethoscope. But that is $$$ and I don't know anyone who has used one.

Hope this helps!

Jim Henderson, MD
    The Student Doctor Network

4. lumanyika

lumanyika Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Apr 11, 2000
    Kansas City
    Hey Joejitsu,I've got an extra litmann.maybe I should put it on Ebay and see how much it fetches!! [​IMG]

Anyway,stay with something that's practical to you(as a student)and to your wallet.just my $.02

------------------
    TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN,MUCH IS EXPECTED.