stethoscope advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

turtlegoblin

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i was just accepted into vet school (!) and my boss is buying me my first stethoscope. i realize that i won't get to use it too much for the first couple years...but it'll still be nice to have.

does anybody have any suggestions? what brands are the best? what other considerations are there in choosing one? i know i need something for both large and small animals, but that's about my only requirement at the moment.
thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I've used mine plenty in first year. We had Physical Diagnosis all of first semester and I worked in the clinics over the Christmas break. So don't be surprised if you get to use one a lot. Plus, I like being able to check vitals on my own menagerie of pets. ;)

I bought mine from our student run book store, because they tend to have the best prices. You might check and see if your future school does this, too. I bought the Littman Master Cardiology and I've been very happy with it. I have very sensitive ears (as in most things HURT when I put them in my ears) and this stethoscope is very comfortable.

Congratulations! What a nice boss!

I *heart* my Harvey Elite. I haven't used any other brands, so I can't really compare it to anything- but I really like mine.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are quite a few stethoscope threads on both the vet and prevet forums if you do a search (in the bar near the top of your browser window towards the right).

I really like my littmann cardio III.

Stethoscopes are kinda like eyeglasses -- which works best varies quite a bit from person to person. You really need to try them out first to see which one allows you to hear the best, is most comfortable and so on.

Once you find a model you like I think it's fine to buy online, have someone else buy you one or whatever. But for your first one, I suggest you try some out.

I have a radical suggestion -- I actually was given a Cardio III and I really don't like using it. Our cardiologist recommended one of those double lumen sprague-rappaport scopes -- bulky and a bit awkward BUT I love the thing. It's like I was hearing the heart for the first time when I use it. I can pick up higher pitches a TON better as well (ie pinging for a DA in a dairy cow). I would agree that you should test out a range of scopes, BUT if you get good results with the sprague-rappaport, the price is right (I got one at my bookstore for ~$20 and it is great for me!).

Bottom line, it's personal preference, but there is a growing number of students at my vet school who have abandoned their pricey scopes for these ones!

hope that helps!

My bosses did the same thing for me, but they let me use their variety of Littmans to have me pick my favorite. I ended up liking the cardio 3 the best.
(it was cute because it was supposed to be a surprise, but they kept pushing me to pick my favorite scope and... by the way... color :) )
we had a few murmur patients and I spent a lot of time comparing the scopes with those patients.
Don't you sometimes :love: your bosses??

I have a radical suggestion -- I actually was given a Cardio III and I really don't like using it. Our cardiologist recommended one of those double lumen sprague-rappaport scopes -- bulky and a bit awkward BUT I love the thing.

I've used the Sprague Rappaport and am fine with it, but I am hoping there is something a little better. The Littman's don't do a thing for me.

But does anyone have experience with Welch Allyn scopes? Specifically the Deluxe models (doubel and triple heads) and the Meditron (electronic). I don't really like most scopes due to the fact they are 25" or so tubing length and that puts my face pretty close to the Kick Zone in many situations. The Meditron has 31" tubing so that is a plus.

The first time I used a Welch Allyn I was really surprised with the clarity and range. What I don't understand is why so few of them seem to be in vet use? Price? Popularity?

But does anyone have experience with Welch Allyn scopes?

My Harvey Elite is a Welch Allyn... I don't have any experience with the Deluxe models though.

What I don't understand is why so few of them seem to be in vet use?

I've never seen anyone else with a Welch Allyn either... Everyone seems to have Littmanns or the rare Ultrascope. I think the Littmanns are just more popular.

I have the Littmann Master Cardio and I love it!! It came highly recommended by two cardiologists at my University.

I second the littman master cardio. I received one as a christmas present and I love it. I have also tried myfriend's ultrascope, while I liked it, I find the master cardio works better for me.

ruffian- your avatar freakin cracked me and my husband up!! hahaha! :laugh:

The clarity of the WA is more to my liking; listen with a WA and the corrugated diaphragm and then use a Littman and compare. I tried them side-by-side and find the WA is a nicer fit for me; comfy, too.

When I was accepted into vet school I was given the littman 4100ws as a gift and it's absolutely amazing! It is pretty pricey and probably unnecessary but it is super cool :p It has a recording feature that can upload sounds onto your computer or pda, playback, and the sound is amazing!

When I was accepted into vet school I was given the littman 4100ws as a gift and it's absolutely amazing! It is pretty pricey and probably unnecessary but it is super cool :p It has a recording feature that can upload sounds onto your computer or pda, playback, and the sound is amazing!

Wow, that is quite a nice stethoscope.