Stethoscope tube length?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

catlover

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi - I was wondering what length of stethoscope tubing most folks get - I'm looking at 22" or 27". I'm going to track small animal.

Members don't see this ad.

You'd probably just need a 22" then...the 27" is usually a "large animal" thing in my experience, but it's whatever your most comfortable with. Personally, the extra 5 inches of safety from that cat's claws may be worth it to me! :D

I have the littman 3M Classic Pediatric size and it is great--I am also interested in small animal. I don't know the length off hand but according to the littman site the length of the tubing doesn't make a difference as far as the acoustical quality. That still leaves the question of how close you want to be to the weaponry though!

Shorter for small animal. The extra few inches just seems to get in the way and is that much more likely to be rubbing/touching on something -- adding extra "noises" to confuse matters when learning. . . and looks odd when hanging around one's neck - unless you're a big person.

Def longer for the LA people.