stethoscopes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

researchvet

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am looking to purchase a stethoscope and was hoping to get recommendations. My veterinary school requires that we purchase one of the following Littmann 3M:

Master Cardiology
Cardiology III
Master Classic II (including the "Vet Scope")
Classic II S.E.

Which of these would you recommend/not recommend?

Any other stethoscopes from a different company that you love?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hmm....looks like the list from Penn! :)

I have a Master Classic II (gift from my dad's girlfriend, who's a respiratory therapist, so I figured she'd be a good judge) and I'm actually not that crazy about it. The pitch is kind of deep, I think the signal:noise ratio is a little low, and everything is slightly muffled. My boyfriend (a vet) has some off-brand stethoscope that I LOVE -- it has a bell and a diaphragm (other thing I don't like about the MC II -- only one surface) and IMO everything sounds much clearer and crisper than it does with mine. It's a pediatric model, since most SA patients are not that big. :) Since I'm required to have one from The List, I figured I'd keep my MC II and buy the same one he has to use whenever I can.

I was just gonna write that Angie09!

The vet that I work for (a UPenn grad so she was familiar with "the list") said I should pick the Cardiology III. But I only have her opinion to go by so I am curious to hear what everyone else thinks too!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was just gonna write that Angie09!

The vet that I work for (a UPenn grad so she was familiar with "the list") said I should pick the Cardiology III. But I only have her opinion to go by so I am curious to hear what everyone else thinks too!

Classic II doesn't do it for me. I was amazed at how much more I could catch with my CardioIII. I also like the pediatric side of the Cardio III (not as small as some ped scopes but it serves its purpose).

If you are going into mostly large animal/equine, then the vetscope may serve you well, otherwise the extra length is just cumbersome.

The best thing you can so is to go and auscult yourself with each and decide which one sounds best for you.

PS....I can't believe they make you buy from a specific manufacturer, thats rediculous:cool:

I am looking to purchase a stethoscope and was hoping to get recommendations. My veterinary school requires that we purchase one of the following Littmann 3M:

Master Cardiology
Cardiology III
Classic II S.E.

Thanks!

Recommend: None

Welch Allyn beats them all, depending on model, for less $$

I got an ultrascope for work a few weeks ago... and I LOVE it.

my boss gave me a cardio III as a going away gift and it is great. I hadn't used much else, but now if I use someone else's that is a different model I notice that I can't hear as much as I can with mine.

I got an ultrascope for work a few weeks ago... and I LOVE it.

Does anyone else have experience with the ultrascopes?

They are cool looking, but I've never seen or been able to use one.

Does anyone else have experience with the ultrascopes?

They are cool looking, but I've never seen or been able to use one.

I have one and I like it ... it has interchangeable heads so I have a pediatric-sized one for small animals and an adult-sized one for big dogs and the like. You may think this is cool or may think it is a pain in the you-know-where to change heads. A pediatric head would probably suffice for small animal work. The sound is good, although I like my coworkers' Littman ones too (not sure which models they have). It also comes in more colors and cool pictures on the heads (ok, I'm a dork). My only complaint is that dirt somehow gets wedged inside the head and I'm worried that it will someday mess up the sound.

I have the Cardiology III. Works great. I'd highly recommend, as I used to use a hand me down scope for monitoring anesthesia and this one is a huge improvement. Having a pediatric side is really a wonderful addition. I feel I can hear much more with this steth than any of the others I have used. Any chance of getting your hands on one before you buy? I think it would be really beneficial , as you may not like any of them !:)

Master Cardiology
Cardiology III
Classic II S.E.

Thanks!