Stick with Biochemistry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

thenorthstar

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am a second year Biochemistry student at UC Davis, with the intent on going to pharmacy school after I finish my undergraduate studies. But I noticed that in a lot of the pre-requisites for pharmacy schools, physical chemistry isn't required, but it is required for my major.

Should I switch majors since physical chemistry isn't really needed for pharmacy and may end up hurting my gpa more than anything, or should I just stick with my major?

Any suggestions would be great, especially from people who have done p-chem before.

Thanks!
 
PChem is a worthwhile class to take. I'd recommend taking it if your class schedule isn't too busy, your GPA is alright, etc. Definitely don't not take it simply because it's not a prerequisite.

I also was a biochem major.
 
I am a second year Biochemistry student at UC Davis, with the intent on going to pharmacy school after I finish my undergraduate studies. But I noticed that in a lot of the pre-requisites for pharmacy schools, physical chemistry isn't required, but it is required for my major.

Should I switch majors since physical chemistry isn't really needed for pharmacy and may end up hurting my gpa more than anything, or should I just stick with my major?

Any suggestions would be great, especially from people who have done p-chem before.

Thanks!

Pchem/Pbiochem are tougher courses but that shouldn't dissuade you from sticking with biochem as a major. You are already ahead of the curve going into it knowing it's not necessarily going to be a cake walk. Just make sure you do what is necessary to keep up on the work and don't be afraid to seek help when it comes down to it. I was talking to my prof on a daily basis it seemed like. I would go in with a couple of other buddies and we'd all sit down and ask her questions. It's worth it to stick to biochem as biochem majors >>> other biology majors =D.
 
Last edited:
Ok! Thanks for your input 🙂 I'll probably stick with my major and just try and study as hard as I possibly can 🙂