Sticking with surgery vs. reapplying anesthesiology as preliminary surgery resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

я_машина

Reaction score
Good afternoon,

I am a US-IMG with Step 1 217, Step 2 CK 226, passing CS. I applied for anesthesiology but only matched into a preliminary surgery position. I enjoy both surgery and anesthesiology; both allow me to work with my hands. I also understand both are getting more competitive, and my scores/where I went to school certainly aren’t helping me.

I was wondering what the most realistic way forward is. Should I reapply for anesthesiology, or is it more practical to stick with surgery, either applying or working hard to get a categorical position at my institution? In the end I just want a job and to be useful.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Good afternoon,

I am a US-IMG with Step 1 217, Step 2 CK 226, passing CS. I applied for anesthesiology but only matched into a preliminary surgery position. I enjoy both surgery and anesthesiology; both allow me to work with my hands. I also understand both are getting more competitive, and my scores/where I went to school certainly aren’t helping me.

I was wondering what the most realistic way forward is. Should I reapply for anesthesiology, or is it more practical to stick with surgery, either applying or working hard to get a categorical position at my institution? In the end I just want a job and to be useful.

Thank you.

I believe surgery is more competitive, so anesthesia would be more attainable.

Reactions: 1 user
If there is an anesthesia program at your institution, work hard and make connection so you can get a spot there. Surgery might be an uphill battle with these stats and the IMG status.