Sticking with surgery vs. reapplying anesthesiology as preliminary surgery resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Good afternoon,

I am a US-IMG with Step 1 217, Step 2 CK 226, passing CS. I applied for anesthesiology but only matched into a preliminary surgery position. I enjoy both surgery and anesthesiology; both allow me to work with my hands. I also understand both are getting more competitive, and my scores/where I went to school certainly aren’t helping me.

I was wondering what the most realistic way forward is. Should I reapply for anesthesiology, or is it more practical to stick with surgery, either applying or working hard to get a categorical position at my institution? In the end I just want a job and to be useful.

Thank you.
 
Good afternoon,

I am a US-IMG with Step 1 217, Step 2 CK 226, passing CS. I applied for anesthesiology but only matched into a preliminary surgery position. I enjoy both surgery and anesthesiology; both allow me to work with my hands. I also understand both are getting more competitive, and my scores/where I went to school certainly aren’t helping me.

I was wondering what the most realistic way forward is. Should I reapply for anesthesiology, or is it more practical to stick with surgery, either applying or working hard to get a categorical position at my institution? In the end I just want a job and to be useful.

Thank you.

I believe surgery is more competitive, so anesthesia would be more attainable.
 
If there is an anesthesia program at your institution, work hard and make connection so you can get a spot there. Surgery might be an uphill battle with these stats and the IMG status.