sticky biochemistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sonika

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i need to know wat to do with this subject its difficult to understand and confusing too kindly advise

Members don't see this ad.

sonika said:
i need to know wat to do with this subject its difficult to understand and confusing too kindly advise

I think that lots of people on this forum would love to help you, but your question is so ambigiuous that it could apply to almost any subject that is generally considered to be difficult.

As your questions stands now, study your ass off!!!! :D

sonika said:

I am an undergrad, but I have done lots of biochem... way too much. If you have specific questions, PM me. I cant help you until this weekend (three exams in next two days --> including one biochem :D ) but i dont mind answering any questions you have.

Members don't see this ad :)
sonika said:

that's like saying life is hard. it's not meant to be an easy class but there are things to focus on that can make it easier.

what portions are you having trouble with exactly? i thought most of biochem was memorization.

The biochem I took was anything but memorization. It was all about "application"...and it wasn't that much fun. But if that's what biochem is r-e-a-l-l-y like (memorization), then I think I'm going to love it in the future.

ItsGavinC said:
Agreed. Minimal conceptual understanding required.

I disagree with regards to undergraduate biochemistry for people taking a year long sequence. I will certainly concede that Gavin knows more about the dental school requirements.

It is my experience that one is required to possess a solid understanding of chemistry related issues (i.e. redox chemistry, strong and weak acid/base chemistry, kinetics, and rules for organic reactions of metabolic pathways). The bio(logy) portion (i.e. overview of biomolecules, high level of metabolic pathways, memorizing a.a., carbohydrates etc.) is straight memorization.

Learning the underlying concepts allows the student to truly understand why certain reactions are favorable and proceed. Furthermore, it allows students to adapt knowledge of one reaction to another similiar biological system with a certain intuition.

bpenly said:
I disagree with regards to undergraduate biochemistry for people taking a year long sequence. I will certainly concede that Gavin knows more about the dental school requirements.

It is my experience that one is required to possess a solid understanding of chemistry related issues (i.e. redox chemistry, strong and weak acid/base chemistry, kinetics, and rules for organic reactions of metabolic pathways). The bio(logy) portion (i.e. overview of biomolecules, high level of metabolic pathways, memorizing a.a., carbohydrates etc.) is straight memorization.

Learning the underlying concepts allows the student to truly understand why certain reactions are favorable and proceed. Furthermore, it allows students to adapt knowledge of one reaction to another similiar biological system with a certain intuition.
Or you could just memorize the crap like most everyone else does.

Don't just memorize the crap. Develop some kind of understanding, then forget all of it after the final. Thats what I do...saves brain space and an understanding is really easier in the long run, towards getting an A in the class.