Sticky/disastrous Situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deadjaw

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently in a somewhat disastrous situation. My class recently took its Operative Lab Midterm (preparing a class 1 amalgam prep) and had the projects graded that day. We were supposed to pick up our graded forms from our private boxes and turn them in to the course director's grade box. I, thinking that the paper was graded, took it home and possibly threw it away. That midterm was worth 20% of our grade (70% in the class is needed to pass) and the teacher will not let me take a remedial exam which is worth less points, but points nonetheless. She says that the remedial is for students that have failed a test and since I did not turn in the paper, I did not fail. The class is very difficult and so obtaining a high enough grade to partially cancel out the 20% I can not obtain in the class (80% is my new highest possible score) is very unlikely. I have talked to the course director and she appears adamant in her decision. Right now, I am sending her an email stating : "she has no documentation that I actually took the final. I admit to skipping the exam and accept a failing grade, thus, granting me a remedial exam". I got an 85% on that lab practical, but unfortunately a verbal account is not worth anything.
As of now, I have to get a perfect score on every here on out just to fail by 0.2%.

I don't know if I should suffer the humiliation of retaking the course or just dropping out of dental school if this problem is not rectified in my favor. What is worse, being known as "that kid" or "that one guy".

PS If any of you tell me that I should not throw away papers or that I should get 100% on everything I do, or that I should give a 110%, etc., you will receive a simple "**** you" as a reply.

Members don't see this ad.

You would drop completely out of dental school for one class... I think that says enough

To be honest with you, you probably shouldn't have thrown it out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Go above the course directors head. At our school we have a dean of student affairs that is great about handling situations between students and faculty. I would talk to that person, and set up a meeting with them, the academic dean, the department head, the course director, and your student adviser (which is where I would start). Do not send that email, lying in a situation like that destroys all credibility for you in the future. At our school, they photocopy everything so I am sure that your school has a way to verify work and grades. Find a bench instructor that knows that you were there and get them to vouch for you. Keep your cool, everything will be ok.

I am currently in a somewhat disastrous situation. My class recently took its Operative Lab Midterm (preparing a class 1 amalgam prep) and had the projects graded that day. We were supposed to pick up our graded forms from our private boxes and turn them in to the course director's grade box. I, thinking that the paper was graded, took it home and possibly threw it away. That midterm was worth 20% of our grade (70% in the class is needed to pass) and the teacher will not let me take a remedial exam which is worth less points, but points nonetheless. She says that the remedial is for students that have failed a test and since I did not turn in the paper, I did not fail. The class is very difficult and so obtaining a high enough grade to partially cancel out the 20% I can not obtain in the class (80% is my new highest possible score) is very unlikely. I have talked to the course director and she appears adamant in her decision. Right now, I am sending her an email stating : "she has no documentation that I actually took the final. I admit to skipping the exam and accept a failing grade, thus, granting me a remedial exam". I got an 85% on that lab practical, but unfortunately a verbal account is not worth anything.
As of now, I have to get a perfect score on every here on out just to fail by 0.2%.

I don't know if I should suffer the humiliation of retaking the course or just dropping out of dental school if this problem is not rectified in my favor. What is worse, being known as "that kid" or "that one guy".

PS If any of you tell me that I should not throw away papers or that I should get 100% on everything I do, or that I should give a 110%, etc., you will receive a simple "**** you" as a reply.

Honestly speaking, I don't think that e-mail will help you. It will do 2 things: Immediately put your professor on the defensive, and show that you are not able to communicate maturely or professionally in this type of situation. Neither of those things will help.

You get a LOT farther in life if you are nice and patient with everyone; especially those who you are in a tricky situation with. I would meet with the professor in person, thank her for taking the time to meet with her, and just simply tell her the truth in a non-accusatory way. Something like, "I am so sorry. I misunderstood the situation and brought the sheet home thinking they were graded. I am completely invested in this course and would never do anything to compromise any part of it or anyone's opinion of me. I'm wondering if you and I can work together to find a good solution to this situation. Is there a record that my practical was graded? Is it all right if we arrange a meeting with the faculty member that ended up grading it?"

If she is still insisting that you fail, arrange a meeting with the dean, student representative, or whoever is in your school to facilitate student/faculty issues. Maybe's she just super stressed and doesn't want to deal with it; I doubt she honestly believes you cheated.

Trust me; you'll get a lot farther doing that than wording anything with the phrase "you can't prove...". It'll also make a big difference for how you approach faculty once you're in clinic.

Not to be rude but you sound very immature and it sounds as if you haven't really thought this out. If the test was 20% of your grade that still leaves you 80 possible percentage points which will be a passing grade. Maybe you should meet up with the instructor and try to reach some sort of compromise that says if you work your arse off and get an 85% on all remaining tests you will be able to retake the exam that is in question. You need to be professional about this and not accusatory to the instructor. Definitely do not lie and say that you skipped the exam. Definitely do not send that email. Try to be courteous a respectful. You will find that this is most likely the first of many hoops that you will be jumping through for the next 4 years.

ahem. um, just taking a stab here, but I'm giving it a shot.

check out page 13 in the syllabus (blue book). the second full paragraph on this page states that "should any student be required to take a remedial exam either due to a failing grade in a practical examination or to the failure to turn in all the grading forms, a score of 70% will be awarded as the highest score possible once the student passes the make-up examination."

the bolded section above is exactly your situation. fight this, use this. it is stated directly in the syllabus, which is pretty much the contract of the class between the professor and student.

don't give up and don't even think about dropping out. you'll get through.

So your teacher is saying you can't remediate because you 'didn't fail'? Yet she won't give you a passing grade?? Seriously, catch her in that contradiction.

I failed to mention that this would be my last email to this teacher. Previous emails have resulted in nothing but irrational and contradictory banter. My first email to her clearly stated what happened (I did not make any excuses; I asked what my options were). She said that I could take the remedial. Where it stands now, after about 5-6 emails/discussions, I cannot take the remedial.

TJ Witherspoon,
I cited this page in one of my earlier "professional and mature" emails but she stated "this citation does not apply to my particular situation". I appreciate your advice.

Streetwolf,
I mentioned this contradiction in one of our discussions but her decision remains the same.

I did send her that email, but of course the one I sent her was less emotionally charged. In this email, my "lie" is transparent; of course I took the practical, I was just making a little technicality of my own. Nothing to lose, huh?

Last edited:
So nothing has changed in all this? Yikes, did you try going above her head yeT?

Yes, I went to the department head for advice, but in the end the course director has final say.

Jeez, i've been following this thread and I can't believe the amount of stress your course director is putting you under for simply throwing away a graded practical! You actually took the thing and passed! It's not like you skipped out on it and are trying to weasel your way into a passing grade with an inadequate excuse.

Basically, i just wanted to say good luck in getting this issue resolved. I'm rooting for you =D

So, after deliberating with various faculty, the teacher has decided to let me take the remedial lab practical. Although I get an opportunity to take it again, I have to meet with the Student Life and Ethics committee because of my last email. Apparently, my transparent "lie" was a little too esoteric...

So, after deliberating with various faculty, the teacher has decided to let me take the remedial lab practical. Although I get an opportunity to take it again, I have to meet with the Student Life and Ethics committee because of my last email. Apparently, my transparent "lie" was a little too esoteric...

Make sure you take copies of the emails that you sent to the prof. as well as the ones that they sent you to this meeting. It will show the build up of emotion over the course of time and will help explain but not justify your "lie". They need to know that your behavior was a result of unfair treatment and unreasonable stubbornness and not some immature emotion. Make sure that you thank the faculty members that helped you as well as the one that decided to let you retake....you never know when you will be interacting with them in the future. Congrats on not dropping out........

Why didnt you listen, a poster specifically mentioned NOT TO SEND THE EMAIL, and you still did, says something about you. I dont think I would like you to be my dentist. You fit into that Dental School crybabies thread, even though I didnt read it, seems to suit you!

dude, you know nothing about this person...you're a frickin pre-dent, not even pre-dent 'pre-health' as in "which profession can I make them most money in and cover it up by acting like I want to 'help' people."

you guys are losers. stop trying to always chime in on crap you know NOTHING about. FYI, he sent the email at the same time as making the initial post, which was before the other posters replied with their own opinions of the matter. if, and when, you happen to get into dschool and be in as completely f*ed up situation as he was you have no idea. please keep your mouth shut. i know other current and past dental students can completely relate to this type of over the wall crap that occurs, but you CANNOT. I'd rather have this guy as my dentist any day of the week over someone like. go to med school, you'll fit right in.

Why didnt you listen, a poster specifically mentioned NOT TO SEND THE EMAIL, and you still did, says something about you. I dont think I would like you to be my dentist. You fit into that Dental School crybabies thread, even though I didnt read it, seems to suit you!

dude, you know nothing about this person...you're a frickin pre-dent, not even pre-dent 'pre-health' as in "which profession can I make them most money in and cover it up by acting like I want to 'help' people."

you guys are losers. stop trying to always chime in on crap you know NOTHING about. FYI, he sent the email at the same time as making the initial post, which was before the other posters replied with their own opinions of the matter. if, and when, you happen to get into dschool and be in as completely f*ed up situation as he was you have no idea. please keep your mouth shut. i know other current and past dental students can completely relate to this type of over the wall crap that occurs, but you CANNOT. I'd rather have this guy as my dentist any day of the week over someone like. go to med school, you'll fit right in.

eesh! Save the energy for pharmacology. This isn't even your battle, no?

To the OP, glad that it's sorting itself out. I've been in situations where I've regretted some e-mails before, and since then I force myself to take the 24-hour "cool-off" period before sending one, haha. Sometimes, i still send it. Sometimes, I calm down and realize another way. In general, I'm finding that kissing professor ass is getting me a lot farther than fighting. There's a lot of ego out there, and just SOOO much politics to wade through. Can't win 'em all.

Good luck with the remediation, and just keep truckin'! I don't think it's right that she didn't believe you, but I do think the ethics committee is a fair request after the e-mail.

in a few words, yes it actually is. and i've enough energy for pharm and sticking by the OP, even if i myself wouldn't have taken the same steps.
your method is a good one though, and I've actually subscribed to it since undergrad. it's even more critical in dschool and all the feisty predents won't be able to fathom this until it's in their face and breathing down their necks.

eesh! Save the energy for pharmacology. This isn't even your battle, no?

To the OP, glad that it's sorting itself out. I've been in situations where I've regretted some e-mails before, and since then I force myself to take the 24-hour "cool-off" period before sending one, haha. Sometimes, i still send it. Sometimes, I calm down and realize another way. In general, I'm finding that kissing professor ass is getting me a lot farther than fighting. There's a lot of ego out there, and just SOOO much politics to wade through. Can't win 'em all.

Good luck with the remediation, and just keep truckin'! I don't think it's right that she didn't believe you, but I do think the ethics committee is a fair request after the e-mail.

Well, its been fun. I appreciate the criticism, suggestions, and attempts to humiliate. I hope that one of you will be in my situation and that your misery will need my company!
A poster did mention that I not send the email. Another poster recommended that I should not have thrown away the paper. Both of these were excellent suggestions, but they didn’t seem to go with the theme of “ridiculous/hilarious chitchat”. If I knew that I would be sent to the principal’s office, I would have made that email a lot more interesting for us all. I can only hope that after the ethics panel gives me the lobotomy I will be less of a crybaby.

TJ Witherspoon, be prepared to suffocate me with a pillow…