still confused about who to get LORs from??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kobebucsfan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I always thought u need 3profs and 1 dentist LOR

but i also keep hearing, u can get LORs from doctors, volunteer coordinators

right now i shadow at a dental office and also volunteer at a medical clinic, can i get a LOR from the doctor AND Dentist

or will the LOR from doctor not count ?

Members don't see this ad.

I had 3 science, 1 non- science, a committee, and a dentist's letter but a couple weeks after my app was complete, 1 of the schools called ( Minnesota I think) and told me they won't accept the letter from a dentist.
I had to supply either one from work or volunteering.
Just be careful and check each school's website ur applying to to make sure.
Besides that 1 school.. my letters were accepted by the other 13 I applied to.

Don't get a letter from a physician, that is pointless for a dental school committee. Most schools require the letter to be from a dentist, in addition to your academic ones. Also if you've been out of school for a while, you can use a former/current manager at work (I used this option)

I had 3 science, 1 non- science, a committee, and a dentist's letter but a couple weeks after my app was complete, 1 of the schools called ( Minnesota I think) and told me they won't accept the letter from a dentist.
I had to supply either one from work or volunteering.
Just be careful and check each school's website ur applying to to make sure.
Besides that 1 school.. my letters were accepted by the other 13 I applied to.

Thanks for the info.
I guess I am in a perculiar predicament. My third LOR was from my professor, who is also my graduate research supervisor and a practicing dentist. Also, I am working for him as a TA/RA, so hopefully they'll accept mine.