Still keeping hope for '08 cycle??!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sportygirl

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many people are still on waitlists hoping to get in for this fall? I am still on four waitlists, but slowly losing hope. I know that it isn't over until the first day of classes, but it is hard to focus not knowing. I am planning on submitting my new application this summer and begin studying to retake the DAT the end of August! This waiting game is NOT FUN!! Anybody else hear me?!

Members don't see this ad.

Have you tried calling the schools and getting more info from them?

I have called the schools but they really don't give much info. I guess that may be because they can't determine if seats will open but they never tell you where you stand on the waitlist...at least not at the schools I am waitlisted!

Members don't see this ad :)
in the same boat, slowly losing hope over here. My girlfriend just finished nursing school and passed her boards, its hard to be excited for her

what schools are you waiting on? did you apply for the next cycle yet?

I just got the new kaplan book, my app is solid but my dat scores arent so hot in some sections, so i will reapply i just have to reinput all my stuff. I dont think ill change my PS much, just update it. Im on the waitlist at one school and waiting on the other which is a very long shot. Id rather not say which one though bc i know for a fact that dental schools read this forum. I dont know if it would help or hurt me if the school i was waiting on seen this post. Anyways, im rambling now...:confused:

Keep sending the director of admissions an email telling them of your interest in the school. If a spot opens up, that spot should go to you.

Keep sending the director of admissions an email telling them of your interest in the school. If a spot opens up, that spot should go to you.

Hmmm... there are only so many excuses you can make for harassing the admissions director. I would know. Anyways, in the same boat as you guys. Waitlisted at one school, finished 09 application, praying to Superman to give me a damn spot for Fall 08.

Yeah, waitlisted at 2 schools. I forked over the money and sent in my application for next year. It was a little depressing, but what else am I going to do?

I'm with you guys! What are you guys going to do in the meantime? Post-Bac? masters? work?

I'm with you guys! What are you guys going to do in the meantime? Post-Bac? masters? work?

I'm quitting work and doing a one year certificate program in Microbiology/Immunology at VCU. It's basically a one year Masters without the thesis. It's going to suck to not have a paycheck, but it's worth it if it gets me into dental school, I guess.

it's good to have hope on the waitlist but its also good to have a plan B just incase the offer never arrives.

Members don't see this ad :)
it's good to have hope on the waitlist but its also good to have a plan B just incase the offer never arrives.
How many people are still on waitlists hoping to get in for this fall? I am still on four waitlists, but slowly losing hope. I know that it isn't over until the first day of classes, but it is hard to focus not knowing. I am planning on submitting my new application this summer and begin studying to retake the DAT the end of August! This waiting game is NOT FUN!! Anybody else hear me?!

You gotta be active in this process. I know a friend who sent in one of her artworks to show the school that she was really serious about dentistry and she has the hand ability to perform. Well, two weeks later she got a spot (she was only on waitlist for 1 school).
My advice, do something out of the ordinary. Send them artwork, handmade crafts, show them your sewing skill, etc. Even if they don't accept you, it's ok. They will definitely notice you in the next round. One year, or even three years, late is not a problem. Keep applying! Those that are on the waitlist should have a great chance in the coming round. Don't let your hope die. There are reasons why you are on the waitlist. If your DAT is not good, retake it and be serious about i! If your GPA is low, take some classes in the meantime. Do something!!! Don't be passive. Dental Admins want to see passionate applicants, not the ones that just stay home and pray.
You guys should be applying again by now. It doesn't hurt to apply early. Hey, if two months later you found out you got a spot in a dental school...great! Throw the application and your DAT study materials aside. If not, work on the DAT. I can reassure you that the ones that always trying to better his/herself and improve, those dental Admins will definitely know! Good luck guys!!!

ya, I'm waitlisted at 2 schools. Sending in my app by this week while I hope for a spot for this fall.

I'm applying for the 2009 cycle...just wondering, when (what month) did u guys apply for the 2008 cycle?

I am waitlisted for one school and just finished the 2009 application. I will be working in the meantime just not sure where yet. LOL my kids keep me pretty busy. :) Keeping my fingers crossed and hoping that this next cycle will finally be my turn!

i understand that you have to be active in the waitlist cycle but it still doesn't guarantee a spot. i'm just stating that its good to have a second plan rather than rely on waitlist acceptances.

sending artwork eh? i think i'll send mine in tomorrow then. maybe send them a cake since i was a cake decorator for a year.

I sent in my 2009 application last week. I'm waitlisted at Creighton and USC for 2008. I wonder if *anyone* gets into Creighton off the waitlist. I'm one of 30 on the list, but since it is unranked, I have no clue. At USC, I think everyone is an "alternate" until after class start in the Fall.

I sent in my 2009 application last week. I'm waitlisted at Creighton and USC for 2008. I wonder if *anyone* gets into Creighton off the waitlist. I'm one of 30 on the list, but since it is unranked, I have no clue. At USC, I think everyone is an "alternate" until after class start in the Fall.

trent don't give up entirely on USC yet, last year in my Kaplan DAT class around mid July a guy in my class came in asking for a refund because USC bumped him off the waitlist, so you never know what will happen!

I certainly wouldn't count out all hope, but it is also wise to not postpone taking action for this cycle based on that slim hope. Therefore, I wouldn't wait until August to submit the 2009 AADSAS to wait out the last news.

does anyone know what the latest date is for someone getting into any particular cycle? not to shatter anyones hopes but its getting pretty late

I'm quitting work and doing a one year certificate program in Microbiology/Immunology at VCU. It's basically a one year Masters without the thesis. It's going to suck to not have a paycheck, but it's worth it if it gets me into dental school, I guess.

Sounds like a great program ... do you have any additional information (ie website) that you could share?

Sounds like a great program ... do you have any additional information (ie website) that you could share?

http://www.medschool.vcu.edu/gp/premed.html

There are 6 departments you can do the program in. I think the deadline for Micro/Immun passed already, but the other ones say that there's no deadline. They take DAT scores in lieu of the GRE or MCAT. I think the cutoff is 17AA.

Go to each department's website and look through the graduate program list for more details.

Last year, it was October 15th before my AADSAS application was complete. This year, it was complete mid June. I hope that makes the difference. I have more volunteering and some more classes, but basically the same GPA and the same DAT.