Still need help on school decision

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uconnbball3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am still wondering where I should go. I am deciding between Suny and Berkeley. The only reason why I am considering Berkeley is because of the name. For the people who got accepted also, how are you guys making your decision so easily to go to berkeley? Suny will save me A LOT of money because of in state. I was also not impressed when i went to the interview at berkeley, everything seemed outdated.

Thanks for your help guys.

Members don't see this ad.

I am still wondering where I should go. I am deciding between Suny and Berkeley. The only reason why I am considering Berkeley is because of the name. For the people who got accepted also, how are you guys making your decision so easily to go to berkeley? Suny will save me A LOT of money because of in state. I was also not impressed when i went to the interview at berkeley, everything seemed outdated.

Thanks for your help guys.

Doesn't help you very much but congrats on being able to choose between these two great schools. I would go to SUNY if I were you, simply from a $ perspective. Sure, it would be great you could say you went to Berkley, but in the end I'm sure it will be the same, you'll have just spent a lot more money.

Members don't see this ad :)
Both Berkeley and SUNY offer in-state tuition after 1 year, so do keep that in mind... though Berkeley's is higher overall than SUNY's, yes, however Berkeley also guarantees every student will get scholarship money every year. Congrats, and good luck deciding, I'm in the same boat!!

Both Berkeley and SUNY offer in-state tuition after 1 year, so do keep that in mind... though Berkeley's is higher overall than SUNY's, yes, however Berkeley also guarantees every student will get scholarship money every year. Congrats, and good luck deciding, I'm in the same boat!!

Is berkeley really higher than Suny tho? Berkeley's board part 1 scores are in the 80's and suny's are in the 90's. And i was also not impressed with berkeley's campus at all.

From your posts uconnbball3, it seems like you want to go to SUNY. I think you have made your choice already. You shouldn't go to a school just because of the "name". You stated you weren't impressed by the campus at all. It seems as though if you end up going to Berkeley you will not enjoy your time there. You'll end up being in more debt because of out-of-state tuition for the first year, transportation costs going home back and forth, etc. just to be able to tell people that you are going to/ graduated from UCBSO.

The reason I decided to accept my seat at UCBSO is because I live in California and Berkeley is literally 25 minutes away from my house. I'll still be around a lot of my friends and family. Everytime I visited UCBSO, I felt as though the faculty and students really enjoyed their profession and they were very helpful to me when I needed advice/ guidance. Additionally, I LOVE the fact that UCBSO is apart of a big university. I'll be able to take advantage of all the things offered there such as the gym, multiple libraries, many restaurants/bars within walking distance from campus, etc. Lastly, I plan on staying in California upon graduating. By going to a school in California, I believe I will have more connections through networking and this will help me in the long-run when I am trying to find a job in the area.

I hope this helps!! Good Luck with whatever you choose :)

From your posts uconnbball3, it seems like you want to go to SUNY. I think you have made your choice already. You shouldn't go to a school just because of the "name". You stated you weren't impressed by the campus at all. It seems as though if you end up going to Berkeley you will not enjoy your time there. You'll end up being in more debt because of out-of-state tuition for the first year, transportation costs going home back and forth, etc. just to be able to tell people that you are going to/ graduated from UCBSO.

The reason I decided to accept my seat at UCBSO is because I live in California and Berkeley is literally 25 minutes away from my house. I'll still be around a lot of my friends and family. Everytime I visited UCBSO, I felt as though the faculty and students really enjoyed their profession and they were very helpful to me when I needed advice/ guidance. Additionally, I LOVE the fact that UCBSO is apart of a big university. I'll be able to take advantage of all the things offered there such as the gym, multiple libraries, many restaurants/bars within walking distance from campus, etc. Lastly, I plan on staying in California upon graduating. By going to a school in California, I believe I will have more connections through networking and this will help me in the long-run when I am trying to find a job in the area.

I hope this helps!! Good Luck with whatever you choose :)

Thanks i do think the students are berkeley were very close. And i think i would like to stay in ny upon graduating so i might stay in ny. Thanks for your help!

Is berkeley really higher than Suny tho? Berkeley's board part 1 scores are in the 80's and suny's are in the 90's. And i was also not impressed with berkeley's campus at all.

When I said "Berkeley's is higher" I was referring to tuition, not boards scores. The plus with both Berkeley and SUNY is they have solid histories of very strong boards passage rates (though for part 1 last year Berkeley did dip down into the 80s a bit). But yes, from all I've researched, they're both great programs, and as eyeforme said, it seems you've already decided!! Have a great time at SUNY! :) I might even be joining you!

(if you really want to know, for me, one strong draw of Berkeley's program--in addition to their sense of community/family-- is that because they have so many pre-reqs, their curriculum starts with optometry specific courses immediately, and they start practicing clinical skills immediately.)

When I said "Berkeley's is higher" I was referring to tuition, not boards scores. The plus with both Berkeley and SUNY is they have solid histories of very strong boards passage rates (though for part 1 last year Berkeley did dip down into the 80s a bit). But yes, from all I've researched, they're both great programs, and as eyeforme said, it seems you've already decided!! Have a great time at SUNY! :) I might even be joining you!

(if you really want to know, for me, one strong draw of Berkeley's program--in addition to their sense of community/family-- is that because they have so many pre-reqs, their curriculum starts with optometry specific courses immediately, and they start practicing clinical skills immediately.)

Yeah that is a good thing although you'll get that at SUNY as well.

Berkeley's facilities are definitely dated. I have worked with 2 optos from Berk. Both loved it, but both also had their qualms with it. From what i have heard from them, alot of the professors are there to do research. So there is a decided emphasis on research. Their clinic is definitely one of the older one but becuase it is in the UC system and part of a larger public university funds are sometiems hard to come by for those. That being said, UCB is an excellent school and the doctors I know are both great clincians but alot of that is how much work you are willing to put in. Also, their externship program is great. One of the docs ended up spending time at clinics in NJ and in Hawaii at the VA hospital among other places.
The population of Berkeley is urban and there are alot of diseased patients from what I have been told. Both docs were however frustrated with the lack of business training and practice management courses. Honestly cant compare it to SUNY cause i havent been but berkeley is in the heart of the bay area with lots to do if that is a factor. good luck with your decision!

Board scores are overrated in terms of rating schools. Your passing the boards is a directly correlated with the amount of time you are willing to put in on your own time.

Thanks so much for the great input.

Berkeley's facilities are definitely dated. I have worked with 2 optos from Berk. Both loved it, but both also had their qualms with it. From what i have heard from them, alot of the professors are there to do research. So there is a decided emphasis on research. Their clinic is definitely one of the older one but becuase it is in the UC system and part of a larger public university funds are sometiems hard to come by for those. That being said, UCB is an excellent school and the doctors I know are both great clincians but alot of that is how much work you are willing to put in. Also, their externship program is great. One of the docs ended up spending time at clinics in NJ and in Hawaii at the VA hospital among other places.
The population of Berkeley is urban and there are alot of diseased patients from what I have been told. Both docs were however frustrated with the lack of business training and practice management courses. Honestly cant compare it to SUNY cause i havent been but berkeley is in the heart of the bay area with lots to do if that is a factor. good luck with your decision!

I know berkeley is a really great school and that i would not be wrong in attending it. After thinking and reading everyones comments, i am going to attend suny. I just don't feel like i fit in at berkeley.

Thanks for everyone's help and for the people on berkeley's waitlist (if there is one) there is going to be a spot opening up.