Still not prepared for the DAT!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SirDent77

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I already paid to write the DAT and the test will be at the end of February but I'm not well prepared! there's lots of material I still didn't cover. No refund and no rescheduling!! should I go and write the test or just don't show up? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

What is considered end of February? That's still 3-4 weeks of time to study which is a good chunk. What have you covered? What do you have remaining?

Reactions: 1 user
Hi,

Although, you have a really limited time, however, if you ask me invest in yourself and participate in the DAT. Maybe, it'll be represented how you deal with that in near future. What is more, you can choose at least 1 or 2 courses [specially the courses you are really good with those] and try to study some sections till the test day, so you can figure out how hard it is and how much time you need to consider for the next time.
Hope it could be helpful.
Yes. Actually I'm gunna take some pre requisite courses next semester so I'll be more prepared for the next test. Thanks so much

What is considered end of February? That's still 3-4 weeks of time to study which is a good chunk. What have you covered? What do you have remaining?
I'm using Kaplan book and I still have like 8 biology chapters and 7 GC chapters of not covered yet. I dont know I think I will just give it a shot although there're some schools take the most recent score and that's what I'm mostly worried about. Thanks so much.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm using Kaplan book and I still have like 8 biology chapters and 7 GC chapters of not covered yet. I dont know I think I will just give it a shot although there're some schools take the most recent score and that's what I'm mostly worried about. Thanks so much.
Is it any good? I was considering getting the purple Kaplan book from my local book store for a while

Do. Not. Take. The. Exam. Until. You. Are. Ready.

If YOU don't think you will be ready due to lack of time, lack of studying, or whatever it is, YOU DO NOT TAKE IT.

Some schools take the most recent, highest, or average of the exams. If your first DAT score that you took while you were unprepared was low, you can say good bye to the schools that take averages (unless your retake is very high). Why gamble? This is also precisely the reason why you don't just take the exam to see how it is and also the reason why ALL prep courses and materials tell you not to take the exam until you are ready. You do NOT want to take the exam more than once. Keep that in your mind while studying.

The cost of one DAT exam is CHEAP compared to what you would have to face in case of a terrible score. Wasted application fees (and more if first cycle doesn't go well due to weak DAT score), wasted time with more EC and other things to improve on (many schools want you to improve your stats for second+ rounds of application), and wasted effort. The money wasted would now be in thousands of dollars.

Point is, take the exam when you feel comfortable with the materials and ready to take the exam. Only YOU know whether you would be ready or not by the end of the month. We don't know your study habits, schedules, or mentality.

Also, why Kaplan? Do you think it is helping you? I found Kaplan to be terrible. There are so many other good sources out there. I only used Kaplan for some PAT practices.

Reactions: 3 users

If YOU don't think you will be ready due to lack of time, lack of studying, or whatever it is, YOU DO NOT TAKE IT.

Some schools take the most recent, highest, or average of the exams. If your first DAT score that you took while you were unprepared was low, you can say good bye to the schools that take averages (unless your retake is very high). Why gamble? This is also precisely the reason why you don't just take the exam to see how it is and also the reason why ALL prep courses and materials tell you not to take the exam until you are ready. You do NOT want to take the exam more than once. Keep that in your mind while studying.

The cost of one DAT exam is CHEAP compared to what you would have to face in case of a terrible score. Wasted application fees (and more if first cycle doesn't go well due to weak DAT score), wasted time with more EC and other things to improve on (many schools want you to improve your stats for second+ rounds of application), and wasted effort. The money wasted would now be in thousands of dollars.

Point is, take the exam when you feel comfortable with the materials and ready to take the exam. Only YOU know whether you would be ready or not by the end of the month. We don't know your study habits, schedules, or mentality.

Also, why Kaplan? Do you think it is helping you? I found Kaplan to be terrible. There are so many other good sources out there. I only used Kaplan for some PAT practices.
Friend of mine who's studying dentistry right now recommended it. It's actually helpful since I've never written the test before because it gives you an overview on the topics that you'd see on the exam day. I have kaplan book 2019-2020 which doesn't even have PAT practices it just shows you some PAT strategies that you can apply. Thanks

Hi everyone,

I already paid to write the DAT and the test will be at the end of February but I'm not well prepared! there's lots of material I still didn't cover. No refund and no rescheduling!! should I go and write the test or just don't show up? Thanks
study your ads off and see how you do, you might surprise yourself!

Reactions: 1 user
upload_2019-2-4_22-10-59.png

for the cost... I guess that's excellent advice!!!