Still undecided in middle of 3rd year...looking for advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrReef

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am a 3rd year DO student who is pretty confused on what specialty I want to go into. Some things I have liked so far are Surg and Peds and things I haven't liked are FM and Newborn Nursery. My dilemma is that there are probably about 6 things I am considering (Cardio, ENT, Ortho, Peds, Vasc. Surg, EM) but the next 6 months are devoted to IM, Psych and OB/GYN no time to try some of the things I am interested in. So I am afraid when it comes time to start applying for residency in the fall I won't know what I want to do...
So recently I have been thinking about possibly doing a Traditional Rotating Internship? Or maybe trying to shadow some people when I can? Does anyone have any insight on the Rotating internship or any advice if they were in a similar situation

Oh an also lifestyle isn't a huge factor into my equation...dont mind being on call and like a lot of things going on...I get bored very easily! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Your interests are really broad. I would suggest getting a copy of "The ultimate guide to choosing a medical specialty", it's written by doctors in the different fields, and provide info on day- to- day work, lifestyle, wages, what you need to be competitive, etc.

So I am a 3rd year DO student who is pretty confused on what specialty I want to go into. Some things I have liked so far are Surg and Peds and things I haven't liked are FM and Newborn Nursery. My dilemma is that there are probably about 6 things I am considering (Cardio, ENT, Ortho, Peds, Vasc. Surg, EM) but the next 6 months are devoted to IM, Psych and OB/GYN no time to try some of the things I am interested in. So I am afraid when it comes time to start applying for residency in the fall I won't know what I want to do...
So recently I have been thinking about possibly doing a Traditional Rotating Internship? Or maybe trying to shadow some people when I can? Does anyone have any insight on the Rotating internship or any advice if they were in a similar situation

Oh an also lifestyle isn't a huge factor into my equation...dont mind being on call and like a lot of things going on...I get bored very easily! Thanks!

you said it yourself, you're only half way. relax. don't choose yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is actually much simpler decision than it seems.

First Ortho /ENT: these two will be decided by your grades. If you have high grades (top 25% in grades, usmle/comlex, class rank ect), good research, then go for it. Otherwise you're placed out before you even begin. (hint: tell a classmate your comlex/usmle grade and if they don't say "Oh! my god! its so high" then you're probably not very competitive for ENT/ortho)

Second: Do you like working with you hands vs medically managing patients.
Surgery and vascular surg is if you like working with your hands and dont mind the long hours and training. EM; if you like working with you hands but you want to have some IM type work too and dont like the long hours/long residency of surgery.

Third: Peds/Cardio: do you like working with old people vs young people.

Agreed

So far I think the best algorithm I've figured so far is:

1. Do you like the OR? (Not whether you like procedures, whether you physically enjoy being in the OR for hours and hours at a time)
- If you do, consistently, chances are you'll like surgical specialties
- If you don't, chances are you'll either like anesthesia or medical specialties

2. Following from this algorithm, your surgical options are:
- General surgery and its associated subspecialties (Vascular, Colorectal, Trauma, Surg/Onc, etc) - in terms of competitiveness, Gen Surg isn't that tough to get into (though it is getting tougher and some of the subspecialties are very competitive), but they have to know a good deal of medicine (esp the GI stuff), there's a decent amount of long-term followup and management. The con is that the lifestyle isn't that great - long hours, hard work, and the pay is okay but not great.
- Urology, ENT, Ortho, Plastics - much more competitive than general surgery but some of them have somewhat more reasonable lifestyles (Urology in particular) and much better pay. The match rate isn't great for Uro and ENT but if you have the grades/scores you probably have a decent chance of matching. Urology and ENT have some amounts of medical management and Uro in particular has a lot of very cool diagnostic studies which some people after they graduate focus solely on. Ortho hasn't got much in the way of medical management and is much more physical.
- Neurosurgery - I put this in its own category because it really is a beast of its own. The surgeries are very long, you get paid obscene amounts of money, but the lifestyle in general sucks - you work very long hours and most of the NSG residents and attendings I've met are either divorcing or are on their second/third marriages. However, if you really truly love it, you probably won't care.

3. Medical options:
- Internal Medicine - has a ton of different fellowships (Nephro, Cardio, GI, ID, etc) which are fairly competitive and have a lot of procedures, esp Cardio and GI. There's a lot of cerebral aspects to this field and you obviously do mostly medical management. Primary care has a pretty variable lifestyle depending on how you decide to practice ultimately. It can be pretty rewarding if you like to do long-term followup. The compensation for primary care is also pretty variable, though the subspecialties pay quite a bit more.
- Pediatrics - basically Medicine with little kids, though you can specialize in more specific fields such as Neonatology/NICU. This is probably tougher in some ways. The compensation is unfortunately not great (though markedly better in some of the subspecialties like Neonatal) but the lifestyle can be pretty good.
- Neurology - very tough, academic field. The stereotype in general is that the field tends towards being highly cerebral without being able to do much in the way of treatment, but there's a lot of up and coming treatments and it's becoming more feasible. Paid similarly to IM or a little bit more.
- Psych - lots of medical management of psychiatric issues and lots and lots of talking involved. Pays pretty reasonably, not competitive at all to get into, and hours can range from terrible to awesome depending on what you want to do.

4. Doesn't really fit/Middle of the road:
- Anesthesia - you have to know a decent amount of medicine, and it's a good option if you like the OR but don't enjoy doing surgery or being scrubbed in. Pretty relaxed field overall but there's a lot of states where CRNAs can practice on their own, so there is some uncertainty about the field and its compensation as a whole. I don't think it's compelling enough to dissuade anyone from going away from the field however.
- EM - very fast paced, relatively decent lifestyle field where you can do a lot of simple procedures as well as a lot of acute care medical management and you work shifts. The real disadvantage that I personally find is that you don't have much in the way of being able to practice independently if you so wish.
- OB/Gyn - yes, this is technically a surgical specialty, but there's a metric ton of medicine and management of obstetric and gynecologic problems. The big downside is that the malpractice for it is pretty awful even though you get paid well. The upside is that the lifestyle isn't awful depending on how you practice it, and it can be an incredibly rewarding field emotionally (usually).

5. What's that? You don't like any of these?
- Radiology - not much in the way of patient contact unless you do an interventional fellowship but it pays well and has decent hours. The downside is that it's an incredibly demanding specialty academically - you have to know anatomy and physiology on EVERY level, much like in primary care. You can practice in a hospital, privately, whatever. Also you work in the dark a lot, so depends on how you feel about that.
- Pathology - an indispensable field, though there's nothing in the way of patient contact (which might just make it more appealing for some). Lot of academics, lot of teaching in medical institutions where you have schools. Pays surprisingly well and has reasonable hours.

6. I hate all of these. I did well in school, now I want to work half days and make lots of money.
- Derm it is.

Use process of elimination for now (during core rotations). Then, you can always do a traditional rotating internship if you're still not sure after your electives. You'll probably have a good idea by then! The internship can count towards, and even be required for, many of the specialties.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and ideas.

So do you like being a jack of all trades? Are interested in a combo of IM/Derm/ER/Path/Surg/OB/GYN/Psych/Ortho? Family Practice may be what you are looking for.

You can work in the city or rural
You can work ER, clinic only, Hospitalist, Urgent Care or a combo of all four

You can choose to do OB or not
You can choose to do Scopes or not
You can choose to assist in the OR, or not

You can choose to stay put, have your own practice or work locums and travel as much or as little as you want.

In any given day I do medical management, diagnose and treat multiple complicated medical issues, inject joints, cut out suspicious lesions, manipulate a back, read xrays/CT scans, place a cast, sew a lac, comfort the elderly, calm down a hysterical kid, do pre-op clearances, and am presented with a case I have to really research and investigate to prove/disprove a diagnosis.

On the side I also work urgent care, do some hospital work, and cover rural ER.

Jack of all trades. I fell into it because I didn't match into surgery and ended up doing a traditional intern year. I didn't expect it and I love it. No regrets.

Yeah but in the next few weeks the OP's school is going to ask him/her to start scheduling the AI and 4th year electives. You have to have at least a couple in mind when choosing what to spend your time on in 4th year