Still waiting for interviews...help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BE-DDS

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am in need of some words of advice/encouragment/realism. My file has been complete since early September (AADSAS submitted in middle June), and I'm still waiting to hear anything from any of the schools that I applied to (Columbia, NYU, Stony Brook, UMDNJ).

My stats are GPA 3.2, sciGPA 3.2, in an engineering major. I got 21/21/21 on the DATs, have done dentistry related research, and have 130 hours of assisting/shadowing. I'm desperate for at least an interview. What are my chances at this point, and what else can I be doing?

I really want to be a dentist, and I'm more than willing to apply again. I just wish to get in this cycle and get my life in order and not have to go through this horrible wait again.

Members don't see this ad.

I think your biggest problem is you applied to too few schools.. Columbia and Stony Brook are highly selective, and although NYU gives out a lot of interviews, they are turning down a lot of people as they have all the makings of a Top Tier school and are pushing hard towards that..

On the other hand, Stony brook is quite slow in the process, but they also have a small class size.. A friend did get an invitation to interview last week, so there is hope..

I would say, start preparing for a re-apply.. this time pick at least 15 schools you would be interested in going to..
When did you take your DAT?..

I took the DAT on August 12th. Due to circumstances with family and my significant other, applying to schools not within 1 hr commute of NYC is out of the question. Perhaps that decisions is too limiting and is hurting my chances, but it's one I needed to make.

Did your friend receive an interview from Stony, and what are his/her stats?

Thanks for the reply.

Members don't see this ad :)
My stats are GPA 3.2, sciGPA 3.2, in an engineering major. I got 21/21/21 on the DATs, have done dentistry related research, and have 130 hours of assisting/shadowing.

Honestly ... w/ stats like that, I don't see why you haven't heard back from any of those schools yet.

:confused: Who knows. I'm not an international student nor do I have a criminal record. I've called all of the schools to check on my status multiple times (I've gotten through everywhere but Stony Brook). Schools interview through March right? Has anyone been invited to any interviews recently from any of the schools that I applied to??

Hey BE-DDS. I'm pretty much in the same situation as you. I haven't heard from any of the schools that I've applied to either.

she has a 21 on the DAT.. but shes did her undergrad overseas so her applications is bit different.. she took her Pre-reqs in the U.S. and has a 4.0 in them so schools mainly see that, even though her undergrad GPA was pretty low