Stills Scholars Early Acceptance Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AvicennaMED

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Has anyone applied to the Still Scholars Early Acceptance program? It says that the program is available to any students in a U.S. four year institution, however I feel like it probably accepts students that are affiliated with the school. Has anyone had experience with this program and were from a non-affiliated school?

Thanks,

AvicennaMED

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I just got back from my interview last Monday at AT Still's KCOM Still Scholars program. I was not from an affiliated school, however I do go to a school in Missouri. I definitely recommend this program, much more laid-back atmosphere than the traditional process! There were also students there interviewing from Utah and Arizona. 3 of the 6 interviewees actually, were out of state!

Hi! I just got back from my interview last Monday at AT Still's KCOM Still Scholars program. I was not from an affiliated school, however I do go to a school in Missouri. I definitely recommend this program, much more laid-back atmosphere than the traditional process! There were also students there interviewing from Utah and Arizona. 3 of the 6 interviewees actually, were out of state!
That sounds great! Do you know how many students they accept? I am really interested in this program, however I'm not sure if I should apply.

Members don't see this ad :)
In the application it says they accept maximum 15. Only 12 were interviewed this semester, I don't know how many will end up being accepted, but when I find out I can let you know. There's no harm in applying :)

KCOM grad here...we only had 5 or 6 Still Scholars in our class. I believe 3 of them were from Truman State and the others were from Missouri schools but I don't think that matters that much. I think those students were just more likely to accept the deal. Most of the time undergrad students don't want to "limit" themselves to just ATSU-KCOM because if they accept the Still Scholar program then they cannot apply to any other school and usually they do not even take the MCAT.
My advice - take an acceptance where you can as early as you can.
Also, KCOM is a great DO school with everything you could ask for from a medical school. They really focus on making good doctors and not just testing for boards or using the phrase "well, at least our board scores are high" when asked about other deficiencies. When looking at DO schools, you should also ask/look how they do their 3rd and 4th year rotations. Go to a school that has these set up at hospitals for 1 year or 2 year long periods. I would be very wary of schools that make you set up your own rotations or end up sending you to a lot of office-based preceptorships. The ideal set up would be to be in a hospital that is affiliated with residency programs as much of the 3rd and 4th year as you can. Residents are the best teachers for medical students since they were "just there."

Reactions: 1 user
In the application it says they accept maximum 15. Only 12 were interviewed this semester, I don't know how many will end up being accepted, but when I find out I can let you know. There's no harm in applying :)

- Please let me know! I am really considering this program.

KCOM grad here...we only had 5 or 6 Still Scholars in our class. I believe 3 of them were from Truman State and the others were from Missouri schools but I don't think that matters that much. I think those students were just more likely to accept the deal. Most of the time undergrad students don't want to "limit" themselves to just ATSU-KCOM because if they accept the Still Scholar program then they cannot apply to any other school and usually they do not even take the MCAT.
My advice - take an acceptance where you can as early as you can.
Also, KCOM is a great DO school with everything you could ask for from a medical school. They really focus on making good doctors and not just testing for boards or using the phrase "well, at least our board scores are high" when asked about other deficiencies. When looking at DO schools, you should also ask/look how they do their 3rd and 4th year rotations. Go to a school that has these set up at hospitals for 1 year or 2 year long periods. I would be very wary of schools that make you set up your own rotations or end up sending you to a lot of office-based preceptorships. The ideal set up would be to be in a hospital that is affiliated with residency programs as much of the 3rd and 4th year as you can. Residents are the best teachers for medical students since they were "just there."

- That is exactly why I am interested in this program. I want to know as early as possible if I am going to go to medical school. I am a bit more concerned about the fact that I am a Virginia resident and the program looks as if it is mostly for Missouri residents. Also, does KCOM set up their clinical rotations with hospitals?

I'd still try. Like I said, I think it has to do with the fact that most people who would accept the deal are probably people that are near Kirksville geographically.

Reactions: 1 user