SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Stimulants and benzos

Discussion in 'Psychiatry' started by resident1985, Nov 30, 2017.

1. resident1985

resident1985 2+ Year Member

Apr 1, 2014
    Been reading previous threads on the use of these meds together. My take is that these meds are antagonistic and I don’t prescribe them together. Searching the forum because I’m inherenting patients on both and there’s a subset of people saying it is reasonable to use them together but never specify their reasoning. Can anyone speak to this?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. WingedOx

WingedOx Well, we tried. 7+ Year Member

Nov 16, 2010
    9-7 (5-1)
    "Yeah doc, I need energy and need to focus, but I'm also really anxious. That's why I take the adderall, and the klonopin helps the anxiety" -

[​IMG]

Amygdarya, OldPsychDoc and nitemagi like this.
  4. resident1985

Apr 1, 2014
  5. WisNeuro

WisNeuro Board Certified Neuropsychologist Psychologist 7+ Year Member

Feb 15, 2009
    Somewhere
    The general consensus seems to be that there are a lot of bad doctors out there with questionable prescribing habits. This question is the akin to when I ask why my elderly patients with early symptoms of dementia and only mild anxiety are given maintenance benzos.

Jules A likes this.
  6. resident1985

Apr 1, 2014
    that’s my feeling bad prescribing but I have seen others say yes I do it and am interested to hear the reasoning behind that

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
  7. WingedOx

WingedOx Well, we tried. 7+ Year Member

Nov 16, 2010
    9-7 (5-1)
    Because it makes the patient shut up.

That's the reason. It's not a good or ethical one.

psyxh, Trismegistus4, Jules A and 2 others like this.
  8. Mr. Bub

Mr. Bub 2+ Year Member

Feb 27, 2015
    If you have them on standing Klonopin with Xanax for breakthrough anxiety and Vyvanse with some adderall IR for when they get tired in the afternoon, you can really find that perfect balance.

9. resident1985

Apr 1, 2014
    I know you’re being facetious but I see this not uncommonly

10. medium rare

medium rare Psychologist & Psych NP 7+ Year Member

Jan 13, 2009
    When I inherit patients like this, I immediately make it clear if they are going to work with me, one of these agents will be eventually eliminated or, in the case of benzodiazepines, used only rarely in times of true necessity (1-2/month or less). It’s easier said than done. Best to avoid this combination from the get-go in most cases.

11. Merely

Merely 5+ Year Member

Jul 12, 2012
    Somewhere Sunny
    hSDN Member
    I am a med student so forgive my ignorance but your title says you are a psychologist, can you manage meds as a psychologist? I'm just trying to learn not start a fight, thank you

12. medium rare

medium rare Psychologist & Psych NP 7+ Year Member

Jan 13, 2009
    I’m also a psychiatric nurse practitioner - as I indicate in my title.

13. SourceOfDenial

SourceOfDenial 7+ Year Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Louisville
    In oncology and palliative I see the combination quite regularly. Stimulant for fatigue + benzo for anxiety(or nausea or sleep). Is it perfect? No. Do patients sometimes report that it improves their quality of life? Yes.

On the geriatric side we say no no no to benzos, but sometimes a low dose works, and you can argue that the risk isn't much different than other psychotropics.

14. st2205

st2205 Attending 10+ Year Member

Oct 28, 2006
    Cancer patients are among my favorite as you can use things that will have noticeable benefit but not have any of the long-term worries of other patients with dysfunctional coping skills. It’s fairly satisfying.

Jules A and VA Hopeful Dr like this.
  15. OldPsychDoc

OldPsychDoc Senior Curmudgeon Physician Moderator Emeritus SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Dec 2, 2004
    Left of Center
    Very different from the more frequent outpatient issues of "I can't focus without MY Adderall" and "My anxiety's through the roof--I need more Klonopin" in the same otherwise healthy young patient.

Mr. Bub likes this.
  16. hamstergang

hamstergang may or may not contain hamsters 5+ Year Member

May 6, 2012
    NJ
    I use benzos and stimulants together in 2 groups of patients (I do only child/adolescent):

1) Patients I inherit on one or both classes already. Sometimes I have them on both temporarily while working to change that (maybe start an SSRI for anxiety and leave the benzo for another month). Occasionally these patients end up elsewhere (leave me for another outpatient or go inpatient) before I finish, so I'm sure some other psychiatrist sees that I prescribed stimulants and benzos simultaneously and questions my competence.

2) Severely autistic kids. Frequently, these will already be on stimulants for hyperactivity and impulsivity but then come to me as it is providing some but inadequate help. Depending on circumstances, I sometimes use benzos here, also planned to be temporary (typically with those in which nothing else pharmacologically or otherwise seems to be helping).

17. SourceOfDenial

Jan 24, 2009
    Louisville

The tricky part is when the cancer is cured or goes into remission...then the earlier great ideas seem less great.

18. SourceOfDenial

Jan 24, 2009
    Louisville
    Unfortunately, folks with dysfunctional coping skills get cancer too. Amazingly at the same rate ;)

19. st2205

st2205 Attending 10+ Year Member

Oct 28, 2006
    Indeed, but the selection bias with which we see that population skews our view of how “normal” it is, so when different populations who don’t often frequent psychiatrists get cancer, they end up having problems that select for a higher likelihood of seeing us, so from that angle it gives a different avenue of why people see us.

In any case, if someone with pre-existing poor coping skills — compensated with medication-assisted avoidance — had terminal cancer, would you suggest there’s utility in trying to change that, and that doing so would improve the quality of their (end of) life?

Amygdarya likes this.
  20. lobelsteve

lobelsteve SDN Lifetime Donor Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

May 30, 2005
    Canton GA
  21. Ceke2002

Ceke2002 Purveyor of Strange 7+ Year Member

Sep 26, 2009
    Melbourne
    Good gravy! I had a $150 a day heroin addiction and 60mg of Methadone once a day was enough to get me cruising nicely in the beginning. How the bleedin' heck does someone take 100mg QD and remain breathing?

22. splik

splik Professional Cat at Large Physician Faculty 7+ Year Member

Nov 30, 2009
    100mg is the standard dose of methadone maintenance... 60 would be below the average range. i have seen pts on 300mg lol now that is something to raise an eyebrow about

Mr. Bub likes this.
  23. Ceke2002

Sep 26, 2009
    Melbourne
    QD is twice a day though? So 200mgs a day? I know about a 100 is fairly standard for maintenance, but anything above 180 raises some eyebrows here.

24. hamstergang

hamstergang may or may not contain hamsters 5+ Year Member

May 6, 2012
    NJ
    No, once daily. BID is twice daily.

25. Ceke2002

Sep 26, 2009
    Melbourne
    Oh, okay, my bad. In that case 100 mgs for a maintenance dose of Methadone is quite within the expected range, at least in my experience. I wouldn't be shocked at that amount being prescribed to someone.