Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Stimulants

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Cerberus, Apr 10, 2004.

1. Cerberus

Cerberus Heroic Necromancer
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    How do stimulants such as caffeine in red bull etc affect test taking ability? I have posted before that I am a slow mutha when it comes to the MCAT and it scares the bejeesus out of me. I really dont know how the hell I am going to be able to get a good score if I cant finish in time:( (example on the PS section of 7 i had missed a total of 4 question until the last 15 when I started to run out of time and missed almost all of them :mad: :mad: :mad: ). I think i mat experiment with red bulls etc tommorrow to see if it speeds me up at all.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. If you're going to be relying on a huge dose of caffeine for the first time during a test...I'd be scared. Only a week to go, do you want to try something completely new like that?

4. Cerberus

Attending Physician
    well, i will try red bull tommorrow. I really just dont know what else to do. My speed on these tests is the difference between a 35 and a 29 :scared:

5. Luthertaketwo

Luthertaketwo Membership Revoked
    Removed

Generally, caffeine is only really good for rote memorization speed-type exams. (like multiplication tables). As long as you are awake and alert, I don't think you will need caffeine. Plus, having to piss like a race horse half way through a section could really suck.

6. irie

irie royale with cheese
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Red Bull makes my heart feel weird for about 2 days after I drink it.

It really gets me amped up but I'd be afraid of crashing during verbal if I took it before the test though. I think you'll have enough anxiety and focus to get through it w/out a stimulant. I can't imagine that a cup of coffee would ruin someone's score but why risk it.

7. An Yong

An Yong Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Take Luther's advice, its good =)

8. pmpndaflip

pmpndaflip Member
    5+ Year Member

Just bring 4 cans of red bull so you have one can for each break...Oh MAKE SURE you bring a couple extra cans too...just incase you feel it wearing off... :laugh: They allowed up to have drinks/water bottle during the exam last year (no food though - for obvious resons). Risk? What risk?...RED BULL - guaranteed to raise you 2 extra points :thumbup:

9. Cerberus

Attending Physician
    I could always just bring a syringe of glucose and shoot up periodically

10. evines

evines peek-a-boo
    10+ Year Member

Keep this in mind also . . .I had trouble focusing on practice MCATs, but when the real thing came around, my brain was all business. I was finished with each section at least 5 minutes faster compared to the practice tests.

11. Cerberus

Attending Physician
    5 minutes would be excellant. Was this true of the aamc exams or exams from a test company?

12. evines

evines peek-a-boo
    10+ Year Member

I took Kaplan and AAMC practice tests, and usually finished with seconds to spare, at most. Sometimes I would luck out and have a few minutes to look over the section, but that was about it.
    On the real thing, however, I had almost 10 minutes to look over PS and BS, and had about 5 minutes to look over VR.
    Of course you might not have the same experience, but I know the added pressure made me focus more.

13. DoctorDoom

DoctorDoom Witch King
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    With the adrenaline of the real thing you may be faster than ever... further stimulant use might make your thoughts race and make it harder for you to focus. Keep your normal routine and practice watching the clock over the next week, as in check your time remaining every ten questions. Rather than changing your routine before a big test, always a bad idea in my experience.

Good luck!

14. JayMiranti

JayMiranti Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

redbull probably wont have any noticeable effect on your test

the first time i took the mcats i took adderall (rx) and it was a really bad idea

just like this situation, it was the week before the test and i needed a timing boost so i figured i would give it a try on a practice tests...

I found myself unable to understand the questions, and unable to analyze deeply, and i kind of became obsessed with a few questions and wasted a ton of time.. it was a nightmare....I lost all of my composure and time management

BUT i didnt feel nervous at all due to the high, which i definitely felt when i retook it.. and did better...

15. I concur. Stimulants are good for flipping through flashcards and memorizing stuff. For the MCAT, have something in the morning to wake you up but not too much caffeine if its not what you normally do.

16. ericdamiansean

ericdamiansean High Profiler
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    dude, bad idea.....

you'll spend so much time shaking and steadying your pen, the time spent will offset the time you saved by being faster

17. Megalofyia

Megalofyia 425 lbs and growing
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Red bull doesn't really work that well for me. It makes it harder for me to fall asleep but doesn't really make me more alert.

18. irie

irie royale with cheese
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Then you'll need to bring another container so that you'll be able to pee while taking the test! haha...gross.

Side note: Some stores sell a generic brand of red bull called "mad crock". It tastes the same and costs .99/can.

19. ventulus18

Attending Physician
    ive gone 6 redbull/vodka deep before.....thats the real deal, you can't even think about standing still

20. Yup, exactly.

21. Megalofyia

Megalofyia 425 lbs and growing
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Oh I must say that my dart game vastly improves after many redbull and vodka drinks. Good stuff there.

22. Cerberus

Attending Physician
    Thanks, I guess I may just go with what i've been doing. God, I dont want to retake this bitch over a few minutes :mad:

23. liverotcod

liverotcod Lieutenant Crunch
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    2 words:
    crystal methamphetamine
    --Always makes those cats on COPS seem pretty awake.
    --At least if you bomb the exam, you won't care.
    --But maybe they don't allow it at the test site?

24. :laugh:

Good thing they don't do urine drug screens before the exam!

25. BigRedPingpong

BigRedPingpong Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Just relax and forget about it. By now it's to late to improve on timing and stuff anyway. Just relax this week before the test and get a good night sleep on Friday night.

26. Fumoffu

Fumoffu Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Sorry this is sort of random but how do you have 7000+ posts if you haven't even taken the MCATs?

27. TripleDegree

TripleDegree Joker Doctor
    10+ Year Member

7000 posts is about 10 posts a day for 2 years straight. I think thats not entirely surprising from Cerb :)

28. Cerberus

Attending Physician
    I registered 3 years ago.

29. uclacrewdude

uclacrewdude the uclacrewdude abides
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    [​IMG]

honestly cerb, dont risk it. the majority of the test requires you to analyze the passages, which wont require a lot of rote recall anyway, and certainly wont be helped if youre trying to rush through. honestly youre better off getting 90% of the questions you finish right and 100% of the questions you dont to wrong (which would only be like 8% of the exam, realistically anyway) than 70% of all questions right.

30. liverotcod

liverotcod Lieutenant Crunch
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    To give a serious answer (for once), my advice would be not to change anything at this point. Your scores (from the "post your practice scores" thread) are pretty good, even with the time issues. I had trouble finishing with the Kaplan tests, but not the AAMC tests.

I think that time management strategy is one of the few things a good test prep program can actually teach. Plus, the more practice, the better. Try to squeeze in more practice tests this week and you should be fine.

Don't change your normal caffeine intake on the 17th.

31. JohnHolmes

JohnHolmes Large Member
    10+ Year Member

Ripped Fuel is not banned til tues. HUGE infusions of Ma Huang have been shown to dramatically increase test taking abilities.

120 mg ephedrine at once, you will be a raging machine,dude! :thumbup:

HOLMES

32. indo

indo Feed me a stray cat
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    120? My heart would stop beating, claw it's way out of my chest, seperating my ribs like cheap blinds, then slap me in the face and walk away.

33. You haven't seen that other thread? The number of posts you have on SDN dramatically increases your chance of med school acceptance. :)

34. jlee9531

jlee9531 J,A,S
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    yeah...its like you just somehow feel more focused cause its the real test and its a very important part of your application. i always get excited/butterflies in the stomach-type feeling before major tests like this...kinda pumps me up.

for the record i drank 2 red bulls today to help me drive down from berkeley to la (11pm to 5am). but i have noticed red bull ALWAYS make my stomach feel odd.

35. Cerberus

Attending Physician
    woah! I drank a redbull before taking 7's BS section and finished 10 minutes early... :eek: :eek:

36. Cerberus

Attending Physician
    Just scored it at a 12, so i dont guess it significantly affected my concentration. w00t

37. DrBodacious

10+ Year Member

I think No-Doz helped me, on the verbal section especially. Make sure you drain you bladder before each section though!! ;)

38. hamhamfan

hamhamfan internet fairy
    7+ Year Member

Heh, I thought that the AAMC tests too longer in the VR section than Kaplan's. But the PS and the BS were much less time consuming than Kaplan's. Kaplan put in way too much computation-heavy problems in their exams.

39. Sunflower189

Sunflower189 those are roses, silly
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Stimulants are nice because they make it easier for you to do repetitive, easy tasks...but make it more difficult to do hard ones that require concentration. So you have to decide: is the MCAT stupid, annoying, and too #@[email protected]#ing long - or evil, tricky, and too @#%#$ing long? :D

40. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Morir es vivir... morir es vivir...
    Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Everyone just has to know what works for them. I always ingest a great deal of coffee, so I did on the MCAT and I did fine. In addition to caffeine, I also recommend DMAE and a B vitamin, and of course, lots of water--but make sure that no matter what you do, you use the restroom every time you get a chance!!! (Seriously!)

If you aren't accustomed to caffeine-buzzing your way through a test, don't start now, but it may no be a bad idea to drink some coffee if you feel yourself nodding off halfway through (it's a long day!)

Good luck. You'll do fine. :)

41. Cerberus

Attending Physician
    Thanks nutmeg, I generally drink lots of caffeine (with no noticable effect) so I imagine the red bull just bumps me up slightly higher than I am used to being.

As for DMAE and Vit B, do they have immediate effects or do you need to take them in advance (like a week or longer)?

42. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Morir es vivir... morir es vivir...
    Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Non-Student
    I generally take DMAE in advance (building block for acetylcholine, which I use due to the suggested effect of helping scatterbrains like me focus better), but the B vitamin is highly water soluble, so that's something to take the morning before. A word of caution is that B vitamins have a diuretic quality, as does caffeine. I'd say DMAE the day or night before the test, and a b vitamin in the morning, early enough to piss the bulk of it out of your system before you start taking the actual test.