stolen prescription

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

randomdoc1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just have a question about this out of curiosity. Got a prescription drug monitoring database alert that a former patient of mine was found with a stolen prescription for a controlled substance. Just wondering how they confirm this or come to that conclusion? Like, if he's found with pills that aren't prescribed to him, how do they know he didn't just buy it off the street. Or I guess it's still a form of a stolen prescription but he didn't do the direct stealing. Or does something have to happen that got a police officers attention to check him for drugs? I guess maybe that should be the bigger question, how the police got involved in the first place. Knowing this patient historically, I did suspect he was at high risk for this kind of outcome, so I'm not questioning how true the claim is. Just typical situations on how law enforcement gets involved in the first place and how they confirm the person reported did the actual stealing. Just curious !

Members don't see this ad.

Ask whoever told you?
I guess I could do that (although he's not my patient anymore and I'm not sure if it would be kosher of me to ask the officer since it's no longer my business technically?). I'm also just curious in general how these show up reported and what other people's experiences are.