stony brook 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spooky42

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any incoming Stony brook students have any idea where theyre going to be living. They finally sent the on campus info but Im thinking about getting an apt.

Just wanted to see if anyone has started looking yet.

Members don't see this ad.

I will be looking for a off-campus apartment as well. will start looking by end of june and july.

Forget campus housing $500+ to share a room with someone in an appartment with a bunch of other people I don't know. I'm gonna start looking for a studio sometime in june.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with you Serge. off campus housing does seem more desirable. hopefully we will have convenient laundry though, that could take up lots of time. Do you think it is possible to get an apartment for a couple for 750 or under. Just a small apartment, 1 bedroom.

You could most likely find an apt. for $750 if its a couple with one bedroom. Check out the housing link of stony brook's main page. They give some guidance to apt. complexes, shares, and houses. The Coram area is one place to look with slightly cheaper housing. Its about 15min away and in the middle of the island.

Whats up Serge hows life? Im trying to get in as much travel time as i can before freezing hell in Buffalo. Just got back from south beach going to prague this sat. then back to south beach for a month then israel.

When do you suggest to start looking for an apartment? Also, have you of you applied for or considering the NHSC scholarship?

$750 for a 1-bedroom?! :p

Somehow I can't help having a Buffalo smirk on my face.. :D

Then again, I AM coming back to NYC/LI for good in a few weeks and I'll be paying through the nose for living expenses again, just like you guys.. :(

I think june is a good time to start looking I think 2 months should be enough.

Wise146 check out the Off Campus Housing site it has a whole bunch of listing of appartments available. Unfortunatelly at this time most of these people are looking to rent out these appts. right now. But don't worry I think that within the next 2 months more appt. spaces will open up since so many grad students will be moving out. I called many appartment building developments in the area to inquire about the cost of rent and their prices are OFF THE WALL. A studio in many places is 900 and one bedroom ranges from 1050-1600 in certain places. It would be great if i could find someone from our class to share an appt. with but unfortunately I won't meet anyone untill school starts.

Thanks for the info. Serge. If I hear of anyone needed an apartment-mate, I will let you know. Maybe you will find someone at the Welcome Day in June.

I would think sometime soon they have got to send out a roster with contact information. I know other schools do this to help people match up with roomates. Check out Newsday and other resources for apts. that are part of residential houses. Most of the apt. complexes on LI are all new within the last 5-10years....that why they charge crazy amounts b/c they are new and not many of them.

Ill probably be needing a roomate as well. I looked at some the apt complexes around there and its like 1100 for a 1 bdrm. I cant see myself living in he on campus housing. i hear that no dental students live there.

Hi everyone,

Congrats on getting into the dental school. I'm currently a second year med student at Stony Brook. I'm going to be moving out of my apartment on July 1st. So, for anyone that may be interested-

I'm live in an apartment complex. My place is two floors (there is no apartments above mine). The apt has two bedrooms, one and a half baths, a kitchen (small) and living room. It is a relatively decent place. What I do love about my place is that it is extremely QUIET. Many of the people who rent within the complex are medical students, residents, etc...It is located in port jefferson station (10-15 minutes from school). I found this apartment thru one of the first year dental students last year. If anyone is interested pm me and I'll answer any questions that you may have.

Also, one bedroom apartments in the stony brook area are extremely expensive and it is quite rare to find one for less than $900 a month (that is without utilities in some places).

P.S. I hope you guys don't mind that I hijacked your thread :)

I don't know. I've been living off campus right now in my undergrad. It's pretty annoying having to worry about paying utilities and commuting everyday.

Anyone considering the Chapin's apartments? The 3 bedroom (shared room) only cost around 300 dllars per month.

Current students, any input on on-campus housing?

bingpredent said:
I don't know. I've been living off campus right now in my undergrad. It's pretty annoying having to worry about paying utilities and commuting everyday.

Anyone considering the Chapin's apartments? The 3 bedroom (shared room) only cost around 300 dllars per month.

Current students, any input on on-campus housing?

During my interview one of the 4th years said that he didnt know of any dental students that stay on campus. so they might not be so great, but the price is right.

Are you planning on checking them out?

Although I also heard most students live off-campus, I'm little confused by it.

You can have a single room for like $480 per person per month in a 4 bedroom apartment in Chapins (on-campus) too. So that is like the same if you were to pay off-campus, minuses the longer commuting time, other utilities to pay, dealing with landlords, slower internet speed.....etc.

The $200 housing deposit is due on May 15, I plan to pay it and unless I can find something better off-campus, otherwise, I'll just stay on-campus.

Is there anyone (males) else interested? We may petition for a 4-bedroom apartment complex with just us dental students...so no party animals.

anyone know when orientation/school starts?

That info will be provided at a later day. I'm guessing after the 20th of Aug. "Wecome Day" will be on Thursday, June 17th.