Stony Brook Computer Requirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

edkNARF

A is A
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone knew what Stony Brook requires for a computer. Will I be able to use my beloved Mac there? Will I have to get an evil Windows machine?

Members don't see this ad.

I am not sure even why we need a lab top. upperclassmen seem to say that you don't need one. I would hate to spend that kind of money for nothing.

The latest mailing they said that it is required for 1st year in the health science center. they dont have the specs we need.

I was told by one of the deans we'd need a laptop to take tests and/or quizzes in class. Apparently, they have a secure wireless server setup, so tests can be administered in the classroom. I doubt you need anything too powerful, especially if you'll be bringing a desktop along as well for home use. Personally, I'm going to look into a used machine, probably last year's model. Only requirement is that it has a wireless networking card (802.11b). They suggested NOT going with Dell's truemobile card, as it seems to have compatibility issues with their wireless network. They're also making an effort to expand the areas of coverage, so you'll be able to use the laptop throughout the school eventually.