Stony Brook Physical Therapy Class of 2017

Started by SPQRPT
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

SPQRPT

Gianluca
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi future PTs! Anyone else commit to Stony Brook's program? Would like to meet some of my future classmates and get some discussions going. 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Looks like we're going to be classmates! I decided on the main campus as well. Were you at the December interview?
 
Looks like we're going to be classmates! I decided on the main campus as well. Were you at the December interview?
Yes! December 6th it was I believe, were you there too? Also, when you accepted your admission online, did you pay any sort of deposit? They didn't ask me for any, nor did I get an email confirming my commitment so I am worrying the school never received it, haha.
 
Yup I was there for the morning session. And no I didn't submit a deposit, but I was worried about that too haha. I just tried to go back to see if I could sumbit my response again to make sure and it basically said that I already did that so I'll take that as my response went through.
 
I was at the morning session too, I think we are pretty fortunate to have gotten such an early interview session so that we could have committed this early. But yea, I do that everyday too haha, I get the same message you do. I think I am going to wait for a few more days and then call the office to ask if we should be paying anything soon. I think I'm probably just too excited, haha.
 
Yes I agree, glad I found out early so now I can relax a little until the summer 🙂 And good idea, would you mind letting me know if you find out something important?
 
I have an interview at Stony Brook this Saturday, can you tell me approximately how long I should expect to be there for? Was the interview one-on-one, and did you get a chance to speak to current students? Any insight would be much appreciated, thanks!
 
How and when were you guys notified that you got accepted? I was in the morning December 6 interview too. So now I'm getting paranoid.
 
Hey, I was there for about 3 hours but I chose to look around the campus and look at the dorm rooms. I think some people were there for 2 hours maybe? The interview was 3-on-1; two faculty members and one student. The interview wasn't bad, everyone was so nice. Also, there's much time to speak to current students, they were practically there the whole time.

And I was notified about two weeks after the interview through a phone call. They called both my house and cell. They might be a little behind on letting people know. I would probably call to find out when you'll hear back someone. I did that because I forgot to ask that during the interview.

Best of luck to both of you!
 
@housestark What StefMarie said. I enjoyed the interview, it was more of a conversation with the 2 faculty members. They asked me "Why PT? What is PT to me? My experience with my volunteering. A defining moment in my life. etc." You have plenty of time to talk to current students, they were all pretty nice too.

@20Inspired13 Also what StefMarie said. They called me about 2 and a half weeks after my interview. I would call them to ask, it won't hurt.
 
Thank you @StefMarie and @SPQRPT and congrats to the both of you! I have to make travel arrangements - my brother is driving me, and it is really helpful to know I should plan to be there for 2-3 hours. Appreciate the helpful insights.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Not a problem, good luck! Remember, the interview is more like a conversation just relax and talk as you normally would 🙂.
 
Hi,

I got accepted too and will be going to the main campus!! where are you all from? Where are you all planning to live at?
 
Awesome! I'm from long island, I actually attend stony brook for undergrad too. Not too sure where I'm going to live yet, maybe off campus but still not sure. How about you?
 
i do not know where i am living at yet. i am trying to search for a clean roommate or a room for rent. do you know anyone or anywhere? I am from California.
Are you planning to live at home or look for your own apartment? maybe we can potentially be roommates? contact me at [email protected]
 
Hi,

I got accepted too and will be going to the main campus!! where are you all from? Where are you all planning to live at?
Hi future classmate, congrats! I am from NY but I currently go to school in Philly, I'll be attending main campus too. I plan on living in one of the graduate on campus apartments. Did you have the December 6th interview at South Hampton as well?
 
Hi future classmate, congrats! I am from NY but I currently go to school in Philly, I'll be attending main campus too. I plan on living in one of the graduate on campus apartments. Did you have the December 6th interview at South Hampton as well?

Yes I did. I was there during the morning group.
 
Congratulations to everyone that has made it so far, I will be attending the South Hampton Campus! I live out on the North Fork of Long Island so I know the area pretty well. As of right now I am planning to live on campus to save on commuting time.

Looking forward to meeting all of you!
 
Congratulations to everyone that has made it so far, I will be attending the South Hampton Campus! I live out on the North Fork of Long Island so I know the area pretty well. As of right now I am planning to live on campus to save on commuting time.

Looking forward to meeting all of you!
Congrats to you too Robbert! I am sure going to the SH campus will be more convenient for you in that case. Looking forward to meeting you too.
 
Congrats on all your acceptances! I was called yesterday and accepted. I chose the southampton campus since I have a house in hampton bays. Quick question, will I receive an email or a letter in the mail from which I can confirm my acceptance?
 
I got in today! Yay! Did anyone else on this thread apply to Upstate Medical University? If you did, how did you choose between the two? Decisions, decisions.
 
I got in today! Yay! Did anyone else on this thread apply to Upstate Medical University? If you did, how did you choose between the two? Decisions, decisions.
Congratulations! I applied to Upstate as well, the main factors for my decision to attend Stony Brook were: location and having access to Stony Brook's medical center which I have had very good experiences with.
 
Congrats on all your acceptances! I was called yesterday and accepted. I chose the southampton campus since I have a house in hampton bays. Quick question, will I receive an email or a letter in the mail from which I can confirm my acceptance?
Congratulations, I received an email for confirmation.
 
Congrats Daniel13 and Housestark! Yea, I was going to say that I did not receive any letter in the mail upon my admission, just an email. Awesome thing though is no deposit. Looks like our group here is growing too which is great.
 
About how long after you were called did you receive the confirmation email? I was told it should take 2 days but it has been a week now and it is making me anxious
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
About how long after you were called did you receive the confirmation email? I was told it should take 2 days but it has been a week now and it is making me anxious
I was called after a little more than 2 weeks for my decision. However, they did mention to me that they would get back by 2-3 weeks.
 
No clue! I'm eagerly waiting haha. But if it's like last year, I think we might start early July
 
For orientation, I am pretty sure they have their full class before sending out more information. Their last interview session was this past Friday so maybe soon.
For classes, I heard we start late June, don't know exactly though.
Also, for the CPR/First Aid certification, what did you guys do? Can we email them our Red Cross certificate or do we have to mail it to them? Thanks!
 
I had sent it through PTCAS but they still said that they needed it in that condition form. I'm not too sure how to send it. I was going to wait to hear more info or to just send it in when i have proof of my bachelors which we also have to send
 
I had sent it through PTCAS but they still said that they needed it in that condition form. I'm not too sure how to send it. I was going to wait to hear more info or to just send it in when i have proof of my bachelors which we also have to send
Yea same here. I vaguely remember my interview that they see that I was licensed on PTCAS but still mentioned they needed a more credible authentication of it. I will probably wait a bit, then call and find out. Also going to Stony Brook's main campus this Saturday for a tour! I've seen it 4 years ago when I applied for undergrad but still excited to go check it out again.
 
Oh nice! If I was at school this weekend I'd definitely meet up and show you other places, but unfortunately I'm not. But let me know if you have any questions!
 
Hi all! I was accepted into Stony Brook as well! Decided on the main campus... I'm from pretty far away and trying to decide if I want to move so far, but as of now, I'll be going. Do you guys have any suggestions on where to look for housing?
 
Hi all! I was accepted into Stony Brook as well! Decided on the main campus... I'm from pretty far away and trying to decide if I want to move so far, but as of now, I'll be going. Do you guys have any suggestions on where to look for housing?
Congrats! Well, I know they have graduate housing on campus. That is what I am looking at. You can learn about them here:
https://studentaffairs.stonybrook.edu/res/apartments.shtml

Otherwise, there are a few available apartments near campus but it doesn't seem to be many. You can check them out here:
http://och.fsa.sunysb.edu/
 
I'm not sure when to send the CPR/First aid certification either, but if I had to guess, probably anytime before school starts. The South Hampton campus has newer facilities and looks so much better, but I like the location of the main campus more. Regarding the housing situation, a first year student said most of her class did graduate housing on campus for the convenience and then later when they become more familiar with the surrounding area, it is typical for second year students to live off campus.

On another note, I called the financial aid office to verify the cost of tuition per year and she said it's an estimated amount of under $20,000 per year for in state. When I asked if that included tuition for the summer, she said "I don't think so", so factoring in cost-per-credit during the summer, it comes out to an additional ~ $8000 per year, bringing the total closer to $28000 per year. During the interview session at Upstate University, we were given a sheet of paper that clearly stated how much you can expect to pay per year (about $20,000 tuition per year). Did I miss this information in my SB folder, by any chance?? I'm just a little bit frustrated that SB doesn't seem very straightforward about the tuition cost. 😕
 
My plan as of right now is to be on campus for at least my first year, to get adjusted. I was talking with some current students, at the interview, and one or two said they lived off campus for their first year but regretted it because the people they are living with are not in their graduate program and since they are not focused it made it difficult to study.

As for the cost for the year I personally had to do some research I ended up finding out that it costs approximately 44,000 a year. This includes the summer as well as regular semesters, room and board (on campus), food, tuition, books. It was also a generous budget for food so it may be a touch less.

This is the link I used: http://healthtechnology.stonybrookmedicine.edu/programs/pt/eldpt/prospective/financial
 
Last edited:
That amount ($44,000 a year) is way too much for this profession. I went to school and lived off campus and was able to become adjusted to the driving as well as the coursework. Is it the best way to make friends? No but after 3 years you will just want to graduate. There are many people with associate degrees in different fields such as radiology technology that are able to buy house and not hold off on the rest of their life. The tuition only goes up after each year so what you pay in your first year will be less than the second. Just to give current numbers from the summer of 2013-spring of 2014 (3 semesters), the tuition alone was $27,382. Consider your choices carefully.
 
My plan as of right now is to be on campus for at least my first year, to get adjusted. I was talking with some current students, at the interview, and one or two said they lived off campus for their first year but regretted it because the people they are living with are not in their graduate program and since they are not focused it made it difficult to study.

As for the cost for the year I personally had to do some research I ended up finding out that it costs approximately 44,000 a year. This includes the summer as well as regular semesters, room and board (on campus), food, tuition, books. It was also a generous budget for food so it may be a touch less.

This is the link I used: http://healthtechnology.stonybrookmedicine.edu/programs/pt/eldpt/prospective/financial
Yea, 44k a year seems incredibly high. I did a rough estimate with my Dad and we came out to about 70-80k for the 3 years without any housing. But I agree, the website gives two different tuitions. One is a fixed tuition for PT by semester and the other is by credit but they both do not equal out.
 
Yea, I came up with $85,000 just for tuition for the three years. I joke that SBU is not transparent about the exact cost to lure us in/make us blindsided and to leave room for tuition increase. But what if that's the reality??? :uhno:

@Catch Aside, from the tuition, how's your experience at SBU?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi guys! I'm sooo late but congratulations to the class of 2017! Future DPT's! :soexcited:

I will also be attending the Stony Brook main campus, my only concern is finding an apartment nearby. I'm confused if I should dorm or rent out a place with roommates. Which option do you guys suggest? A little confession, I'm a bit nervous as to who I will end up sharing an apartment with. I would love to have friendly and respectful people around me as anyone else would too I bet

Also, is anyone applying for graduate assistance at Stony Brook University?

Thanks !
 
Hi guys! I'm sooo late but congratulations to the class of 2017! Future DPT's! :soexcited:

I will also be attending the Stony Brook main campus, my only concern is finding an apartment nearby. I'm confused if I should dorm or rent out a place with roommates. Which option do you guys suggest? A little confession, I'm a bit nervous as to who I will end up sharing an apartment with. I would love to have friendly and respectful people around me as anyone else would too I bet

Also, is anyone applying for graduate assistance at Stony Brook University?

Thanks !
Congrats. I plan on finding an on campus apartment. There aren't too many options to find an apartment off campus. As for your fear of roommates, I wouldn't worry about it. They usually house you with the other PT students in your class and you usually get to pick who when you meet them at orientation. And it seems like we are all pretty cool here so don't worry about living with anyone crazy. 😛
 
Congrats. I plan on finding an on campus apartment. There aren't too many options to find an apartment off campus. As for your fear of roommates, I wouldn't worry about it. They usually house you with the other PT students in your class and you usually get to pick who when you meet them at orientation. And it seems like we are all pretty cool here so don't worry about living with anyone crazy. 😛
Thanks!! So basically we pick our housing options during orientation? I thought we were supposed to apply for housing asap . Also, did you submit the cpr certification proof and if so where did you send it?

Yea you are right. Everyone seems very friendly
 
I have friends who went to SBU for undergrad and they said living off campus is cheaper, but you would need a car. They lived in the Port Jefferson area and I believe 6 people shared a place with 4 bedrooms, each paying around $450 for the rent per month. If you don't plan on having a car, living on campus would be convenient. A first year DPT student told me she lives in the Chapin apartment for roughly $500 per month, sharing the room with another person. It's roughly $700 to live in a single. Choose whichever option suits you. Personally, I am looking into off-campus options and I'm not too keen on sharing a bedroom with someone else, except for my lover, of course hah. And I agree with @SPQRPT , everyone seems cool.

There are some listings for off-campus:
http://och.fsa.sunysb.edu/index.php?page=housing
http://www.apartmentguide.com/apartments/New-York/SUNY--Stony-Brook/
http://www.trulia.com/for_rent/SING...8989501952,-73.01993010498046_xy/13_zm/map_v/
 
I have friends who went to SBU for undergrad and they said living off campus is cheaper, but you would need a car. They lived in the Port Jefferson area and I believe 6 people shared a place with 4 bedrooms, each paying around $450 for the rent per month. If you don't plan on having a car, living on campus would be convenient. A first year DPT student told me she lives in the Chapin apartment for roughly $500 per month, sharing the room with another person. It's roughly $700 to live in a single. Choose whichever option suits you. Personally, I am looking into off-campus options and I'm not too keen on sharing a bedroom with someone else, except for my lover, of course hah. And I agree with @SPQRPT , everyone seems cool.

There are some listings for off-campus:
http://och.fsa.sunysb.edu/index.php?page=housing
http://www.apartmentguide.com/apartments/New-York/SUNY--Stony-Brook/
http://www.trulia.com/for_rent/SING...8989501952,-73.01993010498046_xy/13_zm/map_v/
Thanks ! Yeah that makes sense ! Most likely I wont have a car the first year so I guess the dorm option is better for me. It all evens out at the end because having a car will add on to the expenses as well. But I'm Looking forward to pt school 😀