Stony Brook Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tzips

Chocoholic
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since SB seems to be somewhat neglected, thought i'd start a thread.

First Q: the acceptance letter didn't say anything about maintaining a specific gpa, it just stated that acceptance was contingent upon finishing all the prereqs. so is this "above a c" thing an unspoken rule for all schools, or just for the ones that say so explicitly? this semester has been a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad one so far, and i'm REALLY not looking forward to seeing my grades. is this an issue?

i haven't seen to many SB applicants on this forum, but i figured i'd start a thread for our small group.

Members don't see this ad.

Tzips said:
Since SB seems to be somewhat neglected, thought i'd start a thread.

First Q: the acceptance letter didn't say anything about maintaining a specific gpa, it just stated that acceptance was contingent upon finishing all the prereqs. so is this "above a c" thing an unspoken rule for all schools, or just for the ones that say so explicitly? this semester has been a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad one so far, and i'm REALLY not looking forward to seeing my grades. is this an issue?

i haven't seen to many SB applicants on this forum, but i figured i'd start a thread for our small group.

Tzips...schools realize that youve had a tough time studying considering all of the interviews/traveling that must be done. I really wouldnt worry about it. Which pre-req is it?

I'll probably see you at stony!
cya!

Hi Stony Brook Applicants... Possible Future Students....

I noticed that not much is being said about SB on here. I too am a Stony Brook applicant.. waiting to hear. I interviewed on 9/29...it went well... but just waiting to hear, so that I can make a final decision. Tzips-I wouldn't worry about your grades for this semester. Unless, SB specifically said... get a certain GPA, completion of the courses should be enough. I have not heard of too many people being accepted into SB yet...I know the people who did, received phone calls and then a letter. Does anyone know when they are accepting more? I know that they are a school that will not reveal anything over the telephone... just curious :) Congrats on your acceptances.

Members don't see this ad :)
it's not a prereq - it's immunology; i have a prof with a shiny new Ph.D. (got it in june, saints preserve us from adjuncts :rolleyes: ) who thinks that becuase she knows Ts, Bs, and their assorted minions like second nature, that must be true for all her students as well... it's a huge amount of material, cumulative final, and fill-in because, and i quote, "they are easier than multiple choice Qs." not sure which planet she's coming from with that one... but in any case, the portents are not auspicious. ARGH!

the only prereq i have to take is physics 2 (am doing that in the spring) and that should be fine. i'm just worried about my gpa this semester.

see you there!

Dr.Bear said:
Hi Stony Brook Applicants... Possible Future Students....

I noticed that not much is being said about SB on here. I too am a Stony Brook applicant.. waiting to hear. I interviewed on 9/29...it went well... but just waiting to hear, so that I can make a final decision. Tzips-I wouldn't worry about your grades for this semester. Unless, SB specifically said... get a certain GPA, completion of the courses should be enough. I have not heard of too many people being accepted into SB yet...I know the people who did, received phone calls and then a letter. Does anyone know when they are accepting more? I know that they are a school that will not reveal anything over the telephone... just curious :) Congrats on your acceptances.

dont worry chris

i will see you there!

immuno is a fun class...(but i didnt have mine fill in the blank...i cant imagine that)
dont sweat it!

cya sharon!

i didn't receive anything form stony brook today and im pissed because its my top choice
=(

Dentist 2 be said:
i didn't receive anything form stony brook today and im pissed because its my top choice
=(

Don't worry! Me neither! it's ok! Chin up. It's still early. We will all keep each other posted...and keep our fingers crossed for each other!

thanks bear. you're so sweet just like a teddy bear =(

One question, I have an interview at Stony Brook. I have heard that they don't accept many students that are out of state. Do you guys know how many out-of-state they accept each year approximately?

sinned said:
One question, I have an interview at Stony Brook. I have heard that they don't accept many students that are out of state. Do you guys know how many out-of-state they accept each year approximately?

in the past, their track record has not been good - ~0-1 students per year. it's a really small school, so i guess they want to save spots for in-staters. you might as well try - you might be the one - but i'd caution you not to get your hopes too up. sorry :(

however, i have heard that UMDNJ, which is a great school imo, is accepting a lot of non-NJ residents this cycle, and for tuition purposes one can become a resident really quickly there. and, it's a lot closer to the city than SB is! :D

I heard that they have had 0 students enroll from out of state for the past 3 years. On the other hand, the admissions committee will tell you that they are very interested in interviewing "qualified" applicants from out of state.

I am from AZ and Stony Brook is my first choice. I have gone through great links to establish residency in NY though (i have been living here for about a year now) because i was sure that it would make a big difference.

btw, just wanted to say thanks for all the encouragement from you guys, and i totally expect to see you, dr.Bear and dentist 2 be, there...

:luck: :luck: :luck: in everything!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the encouragement guys, I hope I am the one that gets the chance to enroll...

onetoothleft said:
I heard that they have had 0 students enroll from out of state for the past 3 years.

If this was true, it isn't anymore. :)

DMD_hopeful said:
If this was true, it isn't anymore. :)

where are you from?

hopefully we'll all be there, chris, cor, leona..the whole deal!

MEM3 said:
hopefully we'll all be there, chris, cor, leona..the whole deal!

Now that's the best thing I've heard yet!

Thanks Everyone! Your encouragement is definitely appreciated! IS everyone on this thread 100% sure that Stony Brook is first choice??? Are you all going there? Also--as far as our of staters go---if they are interviewing you... go for it. WOW THEM! Look at DMD_HOPEFUL...an out of stater accepted to SB. (congrats again) For those of you still waiting....I feel your pain. I guess I just want to be able to make a good decision between my 2 top schools, at the same time, and not have to but $1,000 down at one school, and then make a decision after that. Happy Running To The Mailbox Today!

thanks mike you're such a sweetheart

Hey guys,

I'm a current at SBU dental and just wanted to clear up one of the urban legends concerning the school. In our new 2004 class there are 3 out of staters, and I think 2 in the 2007 class. I'm not sure for the 3rd and 4th years. Some of the range is Montana, Maine, California, and Ohio. I also heard that the President of Stony Brook Univ. made a point to let the Dean of the Dental School know that she wanted increased enrollment in the school from out of staters (something like 25% of the class....10 people or so). So it looks good for these people in the future.

tbeaven said:
Hey guys,

I'm a current at SBU dental and just wanted to clear up one of the urban legends concerning the school. In our new 2004 class there are 3 out of staters, and I think 2 in the 2007 class. I'm not sure for the 3rd and 4th years. Some of the range is Montana, Maine, California, and Ohio. I also heard that the President of Stony Brook Univ. made a point to let the Dean of the Dental School know that she wanted increased enrollment in the school from out of staters (something like 25% of the class....10 people or so). So it looks good for these people in the future.

wow, that's a big change in policy. but more power to out-of-state-ers!

Don't know if this applies to the dental school but I was reviewing the packet given to me on my interview and read what i guess was the school news paper.. In it there was an article about how Stony Brook (undergrad in this article) is attempting to broaden its student base by going after out-of-staters. Maybe it goes for the d-school as well.

Looks like I picked a good year to apply :)

So they are definitely matriculating 10-15 out of staters.. wow that is a change. How did your interview go? Did they tell you when you will be hearing? I am curious as to when the next round of acceptances go out?

Does the acceptance come in a large package or regular sized envelope? I read that some people were called up. Any info?

i also had a good interview and i had a nice conversation with my interviewer however the other 5 people that were with me all said the same thing i havent heard anything yet, but to me im not sure just having a good conversation means anything.

I am still waiting to hear as well!!!!!! It's driving me insane. I interviewed back in September. As far as I hear, no one is out of the game until a rejection comes...I had a GREAT interview there, but that's what EVERYONE says. So, I don't know. It's my top choice.. but I have already put a deposit down on my second choice... so we will see what happens. I heard that a lot of the december people were called... and I haven't heard of any acceptances since then. It is definitely making me a little nervous. :-( Private Message me or e mail me at [email protected] to talk more about SB.

agrrrr said:
Does the acceptance come in a large package or regular sized envelope? I read that some people were called up. Any info?

I was accepted to SB on December 1 (though I decided to go to UMDNJ). Dr. Riley called me in the morning to let me know and I when I got home there was a big envelope from SB waiting for me as well.

Good luck to those waiting for answers.

I've heard that they only call the Dec 1st acceptances, and that everything else is by mail (although, who knows? this is just word of mouth) Still waiting.. tick tock.. tick tock....