Stony Brook vs. SUNY Downstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dancer715

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I was recently accepted to SUNY Downstate and am unsure where to go. I have not heard back yet from Stony Brook but I had always planned on going there, until recently when I got accepted from Downstate. Downstate is much farther away from me and Stony Brook is much closer, but I feel like Downstate's program is better. Again, I am still waiting to hear back from Stony Brook but I have to let Downstate know if I accept or decline, at least for now. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Dancer, congrats on your acceptance to Downstate! That's a great achievement.

You said you were still waiting to hear back from Stony Brook. Have you already been interviewed there? I was scheduled for an interview a few days back for a date in March. Still haven't heard back from Downstate but I figured as much LOL.

You said that downstate is much further from you. You'll need to consider what your time is worth (keeping in mind how long it will take you to get to Brooklyn), cost of gas, wear and tear on your car as well as where you intend to do your fieldwork. Stony Brook is a highly regarded program in this area and, like Downstate, it is very science based. Tuition for both are peanuts so that is a wash really. The last thing to consider is that Stony Brook is a full 3 year program and some would say it's a waste to pay for all of those extra credits if you already have a Bachelor's degree. These are just some of the things I would think about when making a decision. You can be sure though that either school will result in a highly regarded degree and good job placement.

When I was looking at programs I was really impressed with both Downstate and Stony Brook. Both programs are very science based and the tuition is great. I don't think you can go wrong with either program, but it might be nice to save on gas and have a shorter commute. The only thing that held me back from applying to Stony Brook were the extra science prereqs. I kind of wish I took them and applied though, it seems like a great program.

Members don't see this ad :)
hi dancer!

SB has been my number 1 for many years now, since i knew that this was the field that i've been dying to pursue for so long now. however, i'm right there with you--downstate is further, sb is closer. but they're definitely both great programs. have you visited downstates campus yet? but i know that if sb wasn't my number 1 that i would be in the same situation you are in. downstate is only 2.5 years of program, rather than the full 3 for sb. but if i were you, i would definitely check out downstate and see how you feel in their environment and get a taste of it. but truly go with what your gut and heart feels.
although i say sb has been my #1, if i get into downstate, i know i'm going to check it out and see how i feel because i want to be 100% comfortable as to where i will be attending for the next couple of years.

KJ--i just recently also received an e-mail regarding an interview with SB in March as well a few days ago. I've been in contact with Downstate as well, they're waiting on my transcript to be received until further notice so I'm told.

Thanks everyone! I only recently applied to Stony Brook so I haven't heard back yet.

Caseface- I interviewed at Downstate and really got a good feeling while there, but it is about and hour and a half without traffic commute vs. 30 minutes to Stony Brook. They both do seem like great comparable programs though!

Hi everyone,
I was recently accepted to SUNY Downstate and am unsure where to go. I have not heard back yet from Stony Brook but I had always planned on going there, until recently when I got accepted from Downstate. Downstate is much farther away from me and Stony Brook is much closer, but I feel like Downstate's program is better. Again, I am still waiting to hear back from Stony Brook but I have to let Downstate know if I accept or decline, at least for now. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Hey when did you have the interview for the DS? i had mine in January and i was told that they will start sending decisions in late Feb/March

i interviewed January 2nd, who was interviewing you? i had Alumni guy who said i did great, and thats all....

I didn't know alumni did interviews, u was interviewed by Margaret Kaplan

I wouldn't worry. I saw on another board from last year that people were interviewed from alumni. She also told me that I would hear back in February/March, so I just heard back early

Was everyone else told they would hear back in Feb/March? I was told I would hear about a month after my interview, which would be next week. I'm already antsy!! Good luck to everyone :)

I was told I would hear back in Feb/March, or maybe sooner. I received my acceptance letter about a month after my interview.

I was told I would hear back in Feb/March, or maybe sooner. I received my acceptance letter about a month after my interview.

that puts me for next week, i should hear something....:scared: