stony brook waitlist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dukeduke

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
after being placed on the "high priority alternate list" at stony brook i have not been able to figure out if that list includes everyone or there is a "high priority list" and a "regular" priority list.

also..does anyone know how many people are on the waitlist at sb and how much it moves??

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

hey... when I called after being placed on this list, they said everyone who is on the waitlist is told it is a "high priority" list. she said its all the same list. No idea how many people are on it though. anyone else?

I don't have any new information to add, but if there is any waitlist movement I would like to know as well. Stony Brook is my first choice, and don't want to go crazy trying to get off this waitlist, but it seems inevitable. I have been sending letters to Dr. Fuhrer, has anyone tried the email route?
Good luck to everyone. I have a feeling this waitlist will be a slow moving one.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't have any groundbreaking news to add, except that I am on what sounds like to be a bogus "High Priority" list as well. I was told that the majority of their movement happens mid-June through mid-July (I know, so far away!) :eek:

Mary2009 said:
I don't have any groundbreaking news to add, except that I am on what sounds like to be a bogus "High Priority" list as well. I was told that the majority of their movement happens mid-June through mid-July (I know, so far away!) :eek:

When I interviewed there, I remember Ms. Agnettic, associate Dean, saying that their waitlist doesn't move much based on past years. Not to be a downer.

Any news now that the big day is here? :confused:

Hey everyone,

I'm deferring my acceptance till next year, so that should open up a space for one of you....

Wish you all the best..

robinhood said:
When I interviewed there, I remember Ms. Agnettic, associate Dean, saying that their waitlist doesn't move much based on past years. Not to be a downer.
this is news to me. i thought they had two lists, high priority & low priority. also heard they go through half their high priority list usually. (similar to upstate in design, or so it seemed to me.)

:D Haven't heard much going on in the Stony Brook front...what's going on folks? :D

Mary2009 said:
:D Haven't heard much going on in the Stony Brook front...what's going on folks? :D

I actually called yesterday and talked to grace agnetti because I had to know if I had a chance to get off b/c I was considering doing the NYMC md/mph which starts on june 6, and she told me that the waitslit is moving EXTREMELY slow right now. She told me she thinks majority of the moverment will happen early/mid july. I most likely will withdraw because I dont want to wait that long to hear. Good luck to all of you guys who are on it.

i got in today off of the waitlist. i had a phone call from ms. agnetti offering me a spot...better late than never! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Just Applied said:
hey dukeduke what were ur stats?

bad gpa...good mcat...

3.1 cum/science about the same..

36 (11,12,13) Q MCAT (august)

interviewed in march...sent a letter of intent a few weeks ago (not sure if that made any difference)

dukeduke said:
i got in today off of the waitlist. i had a phone call from ms. agnetti offering me a spot...better late than never! :)

Congrats Duke!

DUKEDUKE
MFer
DUKEDUKE

congrats

dukeduke said:
bad gpa...good mcat...

3.1 cum/science about the same..

36 (11,12,13) Q MCAT (august)

interviewed in march...sent a letter of intent a few weeks ago (not sure if that made any difference)

I can't believe you got in with a Q on your essay score. I had an R, so I am probably as good as in......

:confused: I don't think a Q on MCAT affects application much (that's a pretty good score anyways). In fact I dont think the essay really matters much at all! If you have similar stats then it just depends on how much ur interviewer liked you in my opinion.

Oh about the essay ... I know ppl who got a 32 and L on MCAT.... THey said no one ever asked them about the essay score, they care more about the numbers. I think the interview is by far more important that an essay score that's VERY subjective.....
I mean comeon essays shouldn't be in objective standardized exams. :thumbup:

man, i hope i get in on this *crosses fingers*

I got an N and was accepted. Little attention the admission committee will pay.

TRAUMEDDR said:
:confused: I don't think a Q on MCAT affects application much (that's a pretty good score anyways). In fact I dont think the essay really matters much at all! If you have similar stats then it just depends on how much ur interviewer liked you in my opinion.

You damn SDN'ers are so literal. Can't a guy crack a joke on this damn website?

Ifellinapothole said:
You damn SDN'ers are so literal. Can't a guy crack a joke on this damn website?

haha...i got it..then i got worried at the responses...thought i would have to start defending my Q on the verbal section ;)

I got into Stony Brook yesterday. I'm sure someone will ask, so my GPA was 3.29 and MCAT was 36M (yup, an even lower writing score). Looks like they were into the low-GPA, high MCAT people lately

if so, are you giving up an acceptance any where else??

I'm giving up an acceptance at NYCOM and waitlists at GW, NYMC, and Albany

rmmm - did you do anything specific to get off the waitlist?

I just sent in a letter of intent today, but now I'm freaking out because I want Stony brook really badly and I'm afraid I won't get it.

i don't know why my previous post doesn't bump this thread up.

I got into Stony Brook as well. I'm gonna give up Downstate for SB. :thumbup:

TRAUMEDDR said:
I got into Stony Brook as well. I'm gonna give up Downstate for SB. :thumbup:

Congrats TRAUMEDDR!! When did you find out about SB?

I am withdrawing on Monday. May the best person get my spot.

So I just finished cruising around a bit and it seems there are some people getting calls and not posting here! How dare they! (I think the screen names are abcabc and maria something.) Well, I feel ridiculous carrying my phone around everyday with a little wish that Stony Brook will call. Is anyone else making plans to attend other schools? I am excited to start, but a part of me will be upset not to get a call from stony. Does any one feel the same way?

Im in the same position you are. From the beginning of the application cycle i wanted to go to Stony, and being this close to getting an acceptance is really hard to take. Especially if I do not get in. I asked them and they said that I am not in the top of the waitlist, but if i do hear anything it would be by the end of summer (Maybe before classes start). I was like damn....that sux. Hopefully I will be seeing you guys this coming fall. :luck: :luck:

What would really suck, in my opinion, would be to hold out and hope you hear from Stony and then eventually start at another school and then get Stony's call that a spot is open. OMG! How awful would that be? Yes, Stony was my first choice, but I'm waitlisted and NYMC starts Aug. 1st so.... if Stony starts taking people end of Aug - I will be royally upset. :(

I posted this in like 2 other threads, and forgot to post here.

I sent in a letter of intent last thursday, and got accepted on Friday.

undergrad GPA - 3.1, grad 3.3, MCAT - 34

I was also holding two acceptances. Only because I had sent in my deposit at one school, another accepted me this past wednesday and gave me a week to decide, and then I sent the letter to stony brook saying I would give up both the others if I got into stony brook.

-abcabc

daisee82 said:
What would really suck, in my opinion, would be to hold out and hope you hear from Stony and then eventually start at another school and then get Stony's call that a spot is open. OMG! How awful would that be? Yes, Stony was my first choice, but I'm waitlisted and NYMC starts Aug. 1st so.... if Stony starts taking people end of Aug - I will be royally upset. :(

hey daisee... you are right that would suck, but i think, and correct me if i am wrong, but once you matriculate at a school AMCAS says you have to officially withdraw from other waitlists. is this right?

nycmed8 said:
hey daisee... you are right that would suck, but i think, and correct me if i am wrong, but once you matriculate at a school AMCAS says you have to officially withdraw from other waitlists. is this right?
yea def. once you matriculate you need to offically withdraw so my post really doesn't make much sense does it... i'm holding out till like July 31st lol... hey if i wrote stony saying i'll drop my nymc spot if they accept me ya'll think it'll help?

nycmed8 said:
yea nymmed.. so my post doesn't make much sense does it. =) do you think school's look to see NOW where their waitlistees are in because I got accepted into nymc after may 15th. wat if i wrote saying i'd drop my spot if they take me at stony - would it help? but i wrote 2 letters of intent already saying basically they're my #1 choice and that i'd def. go.
best of luck to you all! where is everyone else headed while still waiting to hear from stony?

Lol....i dont think u should write that.

daisee82 said:
yea nymmed.. so my post doesn't make much sense does it. =) do you think school's look to see NOW where their waitlistees are in because I got accepted into nymc after may 15th. wat if i wrote saying i'd drop my spot if they take me at stony - would it help? but i wrote 2 letters of intent already saying basically they're my #1 choice and that i'd def. go.
best of luck to you all! where is everyone else headed while still waiting to hear from stony?

Well, another day with no call..why can't I give up? I know the odds are against me, but somehow I still try and will the phone to ring! I have been on this waitlist since december!!! I am with you daisee in the letter writing department. I don't know what else I can say to them, I have made my feelings perfectly clear. Maybe I should sign this lease I have on a new apartment in Hershey (I am going to penn state if I don't hear) and then my phone will ring. Let's see how much money I can lose!! In reality though, the money I will save at SB will far outweigh any deposits I lose anywhere.
Another thing I find myself thinking about on days like these is calling the admissions office. But then I don't because I really don't know what more I can "update" or ask them. Then I start laughing at myself thinking about myself on the phone searching for something to say. I am really bonkers.

Im headed to Drexel if I don't hear from Stony. So I am in the same position. Orientation/Matriculation starts on August 1 also, so My last day to withdraw would be July 31st also. Good Luck to us all! :luck: :luck: :luck:

I also told them that i would withdraw my position from Drexel, and it did not seem to help too much. I told them that in person as well and all they said to me : Well atleast in the end your gonna be a doctor. And its true. But i still want to go to Stony! :oops:

it definitely won't hurt your chances at stony to write such a letter, and in fact may help them. i'll be at nymc though if you do decide to go there! let me know what happens! goodluck :)

nycmed8 said:
it definitely won't hurt your chances at stony to write such a letter, and in fact may help them. i'll be at nymc though if you do decide to go there! let me know what happens! goodluck :)

LOL i probably won't write the letter and just wait it out, but i feel like giving up on stony. cool nycmed - you're going to nymc too? =) i can't believe we start so early! but owell, i'm still excited. take care.. if yo'ure on friendster or facebook lemme know!

I'm waitlisted at Stony too, and originally it had been my first choice school... But honestly, after all this protracted waitlist garbage, I might be changing my mind. SUNY Upstate accepted me, and I feel grateful for that--I'm starting to think that things happened this way for a reason. I'm less keen on SB than I had been before. Especially when I hear that about 30/100 people in their class are usually from the waitlist, they're accepting folks with 36 MCATs and 3.1ish GPAs now, and I got a 32/3.2. I might not like the idea of matriculating at a school I had to beg to get into.

To the one who's going to Hershey: it sounded like they had a great program there--the facilities looked great, the area is gorgeous, and it's close to Chocolate World (how can you go wrong?). ;)

robinhood said:
any movement??

Hi Robinhood. I really don't know what to make of this, but I called SB last week to check the status of my application. I was told that the wait list really hasn't moved yet, and that the adcom still hasn't decided who will be accepted. The person that I spoke to seemed to suggest that she expected movement soon, and told me to let them know if I go away.

Good luck to everyone else waiting!!!!!