dds8

Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2005
45
0
Status
does anybody know anything about stonybrook, is the class full?did anybody get on a waitlist?or any info for the cycle. because i took my interview in early jan. and i havent heard a thing, i called olivia schmidt a while back and she told me that i have to wait for them to contact me and she cant tell me anything over the phone.this whole waiting game is driving me crazy.
 
OP
D

dds8

Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2005
45
0
Status
Dentist 2 be said:
haha! Dr. Bear and I interviewed in September...how do you think we feel? lol
thats crazy dude! do you have any info on the situation?
 

DMD_hopeful

Registered lunatic
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 28, 2004
348
2
Status
dds8 said:
does anybody know anything about stonybrook, is the class full?did anybody get on a waitlist?or any info for the cycle. because i took my interview in early jan. and i havent heard a thing, i called olivia schmidt a while back and she told me that i have to wait for them to contact me and she cant tell me anything over the phone.this whole waiting game is driving me crazy.
Hang in there. They apparently don't send out waitlists/rejections till late in the cycle, so everyone still has a fighting chance. I don't know why they take so long to make their decisions.

Good luck
 

Dentist 2 be

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 10, 2004
628
0
Brooklyn, NY
Status
Non-Student
DMD Hopeful, you're not even allowed to post on this thread lol.. you lucky (*&*(@#$&. lol Just kidding. You know I luv u. Plus, you're not a hopeful anymore. :rolleyes:

DD8, BTW I ain't a dude! lol I'm a girl. :laugh:
 

Dr.Bear

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2004
139
0
NY
Status
I called Olivia a week or 2 ago.. and I was told that there has been no decision made on my status. If you haven't gotten a rejection or an acceptance.. that is where your status stands... "no decision made" They have a very small class size.. 38 students.. and this time for the first time.. they are accepting about 10 out of staters which they have never done in the past.. so things are bit different this year... You won't get any information over the phone.. so we just have to wait for the mail or the phone. I don't know if they actually have a "waiting list" or if you aren't REJECTED.. you are on the waiting list. Also... from my experience, volunteering there, I was told that they accept a lot of SB undergrads.. and as of right now, I and every other SB undergrad that I know.. still hasn't heard a thing.. so right now it's a waiting game.. let's keep each other updated

:luck: :luck:
 

po4life

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2004
8
0
Status
I just called Olivia yesterday and she told me that they're still working on the final list :) . She also told me they're finally starting to send out the official info packages for accepted students this week. So don't sweat it, I'm sure they still have spots open to fill up! Good luck!

Gen

ps. Dr. Bear, what major were you in SB? I also went to Stony for undergrad (Comp Sci / Applied Math major).
 

DMD_hopeful

Registered lunatic
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 28, 2004
348
2
Status
Sorry Dentist 2 Be, I just can't pass up a good Stony Brook thread. :)
 

benbenxu

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 9, 2004
62
0
Status
MEM3 said:
hopefully we'll all be at stony!
I called them last week, and found I did not pay the check, so my documents were not sent to review........
Paid last week, not cashed yet......
What a stupid.
 

Landshark

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
36
0
36
Blacksburg, Virginia
Status
Hey everyone,

This is strange because I was talking to my Dad tonight about Stony Brook and I've never heard of it. I'm from Virginia and I'm trying to apply to a wide range of schools this time around (2006 cycle) and I'm very interested in hearing what this school is all about. Any info would be very appreciated. Thanks! :cool:
 

Tzips

Chocoholic
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2004
1,755
1
Peering around the corner...
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Landshark said:
Hey everyone,

This is strange because I was talking to my Dad tonight about Stony Brook and I've never heard of it. I'm from Virginia and I'm trying to apply to a wide range of schools this time around (2006 cycle) and I'm very interested in hearing what this school is all about. Any info would be very appreciated. Thanks! :cool:
It's a great school, in my opinion, and now that they've started opening it up to out -of-staters you have a chance. Its very small (the class size is usually 38-40 students) so it's rather competative to get into, but not impossible by any means. It's located in Suffolk County, NY - all the way out on Long Island, kinda near where you fall off the edge of the world and get eaten by sea monsters :D , which IMHO is its only downside. Otherwise, it's great - wonderful faculty, NICE clinics (the best I"ve seen in my interview experience), beautiful scenery, great tuition (for residents... not sure what it's like for non-res), tightly-knit classes. Definately consider it.
 

Dr.Bear

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2004
139
0
NY
Status
Ok..so they are still working on the final list?? Is that a good sign? haha! I don't even know what to think anymore... Ahhh! Anyway, Olivia did say that if you haven't been "rejected" you are still "no decision made" so I guess that's better than being rejected???
So.. they are sending out the packets to people who have already been accepted and who are attending? Right? (so that's not us haha)
But hopefully they will work on that list and start sending out some more acceptances... also we have to remember that even though they send out an "acceptance" doesn't mean that the personwill "accept the offer" so there still may be more spots open.

PO4Life.. I was due to graduate in May 03 but went one more semester and graduated that Dec... My degree is in Psychology.. Concentration in biology.

I guess you could say I am just DREDDING getting a "rejection" letter from there. I spent a lot of time at the dental school volunteering and getting to know students/faculty etc. I felt that I was doing a good thing to get my "foot in the door" but even though it hasn't worked yet.. I did get some GREAT experience at the clinic.

Also.. for all you people still waiting to hear.. do you have a back up? Where will you be attending if SB doesn't come through?

Cory and Mike.. (my lucky accepted friends)... I do hope to see you there.. if not.. I'm still close to the Island... so we will definitely get together on breaks etc.

Keep me posted.. email address you can always reach me at [email protected]
Later Guys! (and girls) :luck:
 

DMD_hopeful

Registered lunatic
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 28, 2004
348
2
Status
Landshark said:
Hey everyone,

This is strange because I was talking to my Dad tonight about Stony Brook and I've never heard of it. I'm from Virginia and I'm trying to apply to a wide range of schools this time around (2006 cycle) and I'm very interested in hearing what this school is all about. Any info would be very appreciated. Thanks! :cool:
Stony Brook is perhaps the coolest dental school. Definitely apply there!

About the area... Well, contrary to popular belief it's not located on the edge of the earth. I guess some people have more of an affinity for the inner city/ghetto. :D It's actually situated in a beautiful suburb about 5 minutes from the nicest beaches on Long Island.

Good luck to you in '06
 

Landshark

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
36
0
36
Blacksburg, Virginia
Status
DMD_hopeful said:
Stony Brook is perhaps the coolest dental school. Definitely apply there!

About the area... Well, contrary to popular belief it's not located on the edge of the earth. I guess some people have more of an affinity for the inner city/ghetto. :D It's actually situated in a beautiful suburb about 5 minutes from the nicest beaches on Long Island.

Good luck to you in '06
Wow! That sounds great! I would be applying as an out-of-state student, but I'll definitely give it a shot. I love the sound of the scenery because I'm from a small, country town and although I do enjoy the city, it takes its toll on me after a while.

So what kind of of GPA / DAT scores are they looking for? My GPA isn't that great; its a 3.2 right now, but I might be able to pull it up a little bit by the end of this semester if I keep doing well. My DAT scores weren't that great on my first try; 16 AA. I did well on most of the sections except for the PAT, where I only got a 9! I won't go into it any more than that. I KNOW I can do better than that.

Apart from my GPA and DAT, what else are they looking for? I volunteer and will hopefully be shadowing with a Dentist this summer, taking classes and some other things. Let me know because I really want to do this and my entire county is counting on me! This isn't really for them, but when you have that much support you want to do your best. Thanks for the help :D
 

Tzips

Chocoholic
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2004
1,755
1
Peering around the corner...
Status
Resident [Any Field]
DMD_hopeful said:
Stony Brook is perhaps the coolest dental school. Definitely apply there!

About the area... Well, contrary to popular belief it's not located on the edge of the earth. I guess some people have more of an affinity for the inner city/ghetto. :D It's actually situated in a beautiful suburb about 5 minutes from the nicest beaches on Long Island.

Good luck to you in '06
Do you insinuate that I have an affinity for ghettos? I'll have you know that I live in Queens, my good sir.














Hmm. On second thought, you may be right about that. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I did post that the scenery there is one of the pluses... OTOH, I won't have to worry about being mugged by rabid chipmunks, and, I get to carry Mace!
 

Tzips

Chocoholic
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2004
1,755
1
Peering around the corner...
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Landshark said:
Wow! That sounds great! I would be applying as an out-of-state student, but I'll definitely give it a shot. I love the sound of the scenery because I'm from a small, country town and although I do enjoy the city, it takes its toll on me after a while.

So what kind of of GPA / DAT scores are they looking for? My GPA isn't that great; its a 3.2 right now, but I might be able to pull it up a little bit by the end of this semester if I keep doing well. My DAT scores weren't that great on my first try; 16 AA. I did well on most of the sections except for the PAT, where I only got a 9! I won't go into it any more than that. I KNOW I can do better than that.

Apart from my GPA and DAT, what else are they looking for? I volunteer and will hopefully be shadowing with a Dentist this summer, taking classes and some other things. Let me know because I really want to do this and my entire county is counting on me! This isn't really for them, but when you have that much support you want to do your best. Thanks for the help :D

Unfortunately, they're looking for what every other d-school is looking for: good GPA and DAT. The good news is, they don't focus on the PAT (but get it above a 16 to be above the cut-offs), and it's entirely possible to rock the DAT - so go get those 23s! :luck: :luck:
 

teetharecool

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2004
30
0
Visit site
Status
hey all,
i JUST got a call from stony -- gotta say i was totally shocked. i had pretty much given up on it and mailed a deposit to penn yesteray b/c my interview was on 1/20/05 & i am an out of state resident (though i lived in brooklyn for 20 years). after reading this thread though, i guess it makes more sense - the whole 10 out of staters thing? & the making final decisions this week... just wanted to give you all a heads up...keep an eye out for a 631 phone #...
good luck!
 

DMD_hopeful

Registered lunatic
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 28, 2004
348
2
Status
teetharecool said:
hey all,
i JUST got a call from stony -- gotta say i was totally shocked. i had pretty much given up on it and mailed a deposit to penn yesteray b/c my interview was on 1/20/05 & i am an out of state resident. after reading this thread though, i guess it makes more sense - the whole 10 out of staters thing? & the making final decisions this week... just wanted to give you all a heads up...keep an eye out for a 631 phone #...
good luck!

Congrats on your acceptance!!!

So which is it going to be, SB or Penn? Don't worry about the deposit. it's a drop in the bucket compared to the extra 100k you'll be spending at Penn.

Only choose SB is you are cool.. if you're super competitive chose Penn! :smuggrin: Of course I am kidding--you'll be large and in charge no matter where you go.
 

teetharecool

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2004
30
0
Visit site
Status
DMD_hopeful said:
Congrats on your acceptance!!!

So which is it going to be, SB or Penn? Don't worry about the deposit. it's a drop in the bucket compared to the extra 100k you'll be spending at Penn.

Only chose SB is you are cool.. if you're super competitive chose Penn! :smuggrin: Of course I am kidding--you'll be large and in charge no matter where you go.

thanks!! funny what a difference a week makes..this time last week, i had 0 acceptances...for now i think i'm leaning towards penn because i want to specialize..though stony was so awesome..beautiful clinics...so much cheaper...?
 

Dr.Bear

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2004
139
0
NY
Status
Congrats teetharecool!! That's great! Who called you? Did they tell you when you have to tell them by?
As far as I know, I did not receive a phone call today... I'm an in-stater though :-( so I don't know
Congrats! ARe you going there or penn? And yes, a week makes a difference.. im sure you are FEELING GREAT :D
 

MEM3

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 28, 2004
142
0
Wapp Falls, NY
Status
teetharecool said:
thanks!! funny what a difference a week makes..this time last week, i had 0 acceptances...for now i think i'm leaning towards penn because i want to specialize..though stony was so awesome..beautiful clinics...so much cheaper...?

Both are great schools. From what I've heard, all schools prepare you well for specialization (if thats your calling). For me personally, the only way i'd be able to tell is having lots of clinical experience. I chose stony based on strong academics and clinical exposure, location and faculty. Good luck with your decision!
 

teetharecool

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2004
30
0
Visit site
Status
Dr.Bear said:
Congrats teetharecool!! That's great! Who called you? Did they tell you when you have to tell them by?
As far as I know, I did not receive a phone call today... I'm an in-stater though :-( so I don't know
Congrats! ARe you going there or penn? And yes, a week makes a difference.. im sure you are FEELING GREAT :D

dr.bear,
i forgot who called me exactly..def. not olivia or anything like that..they said they would mail me a package and i think i'd have 10 days or 2 weeks to get back to them by...

mem3,
thanks for your input...gives me a lot to think about, don't worry guys..i won't sit on it too long and hopefully open up that seat for one of you guys!
 

Landshark

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
36
0
36
Blacksburg, Virginia
Status
teetharecool said:
hey all,
i JUST got a call from stony -- gotta say i was totally shocked. i had pretty much given up on it and mailed a deposit to penn yesteray b/c my interview was on 1/20/05 & i am an out of state resident (though i lived in brooklyn for 20 years). after reading this thread though, i guess it makes more sense - the whole 10 out of staters thing? & the making final decisions this week... just wanted to give you all a heads up...keep an eye out for a 631 phone #...
good luck!
CONGRATULATIONS!! Woot! Woot! :clap: :hardy: