stop studying!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dookbloo

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
for real. as a person who has taken this multiple times, hopefully i can offer some useful advice. the first time i took the test, i studied really hard, was very prepared, and very anal when i took the test. i was super careful with every answer, trying to get every one right. well, i didnt realize that i was going really slowly. on pretty much every section, i had to rush through the last 20 or 30 questions in 30 minutes, which may have been enough time had i not been flipping out that i only had that much time left (ha, that may make sense). for some reason, i acted differently on the real thing because time was never an issue on practice tests. DONT DO THIS.

the point im getting at is that relaxation and confidence in yourself are incredibly important. i know youve heard it before and many of you will ignore me, but doing nothing is the best thing you can do right now. go out and enjoy yourselves tomorrow. when youre taking the test, i think its really important to be confident in your answers and move along. you prepared hard, so youll be fine. when i took it the 2nd time, my only goal was to make sure i had given every question a good shot (given it plenty of time and effort). if i wasnt positive on a question, i trusted my instincts and moved on. this was especially important on verbal. why? if you get to the last passage with 8 minutes left, you probably are not going to do very well on it. youll be nervous that you have 8 minutes left, you wont read it very well, and youll haphazardly answer the questions. thats huge. in other words, if youre struggling with a question, move on. youll compensate by getting the easy questions later on, rather than missing them both. TRUST YOURSELF.

good luck to all of you.

and if you were wondering, i went up 8 pts the 2nd time around....and i knew a lot less science.

Members don't see this ad.

good post, but I still have to review how to write an MCAT essay again :) That and my last minute read through of my physical science and o chem notes :D aggghhh MORE TIME!

I agree so I'll stop because you said so, may god help you if your wrong.....just kidding:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Yesterday, I went to the beach, found some beach glass, put some cool jellies into a jar that had washed up on shore, and had a beer.
It was wonderful.
Today, I'm going to the spa. I HIGHLY reccommend doing the same. It's very true, the more grounded/centered you are, the more you will be able to recall things when you need them...
Good luck

Nic

dookbloo said:
and if you were wondering, i went up 8 pts the 2nd time around....and i knew a lot less science.

You knew less science your second time around? Umm...

My word of advice for the test day:
1. Take a wrist watch. There may not be one on the wall. Your sophisticated timing device may be confiscated. Remember start time to a minute, write it down if necessary. Be very conscious of the time.
2. Do not do passages in order. Do the ones with many questions for a single passage first. (Or the ones which you perceive as easy). Don't end up not finishing "good" passages just because they are last. I don't advocate going through passages and marking them. Just look at it: if you like it or if it has many questions -- do it.
3. In science sections -- make sure to finish all 15 stand-alone questions. Many of them are easy. I don't advocate doing them all first. Just make sure that you don't skip them or run out of time before getting to them.
4. And of course, don't leave anything blank. It sounds trivial, but remember... Unlike your practice sessions, when time is up -- you have to put down your pencil. So when you have 1 minute left, start bubbling.

All that in my experience helps to alleviate the stress.
Good luck to you all.