Stories from Dental School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Pulled a tooth out on a guy who had filled his cavity with tire sealant
Ooooh. How did you react when you first heard it? How different were you amongst your colleagues vs in front of the patient?

Members don't see this ad.

At first my friend and I were looking at each other when we examined the tooth and saw this green goo stuffed inside, and asked the patient about it, we were professional but definitely gave each other that WTH look. Then we pulled the tooth and had a good laugh with our classmates about it.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Intraoral exam on a walk in pt covered in tattoos - pulled his lower lip down and revealed a tattoo on the inside of his lower lip that read "P*ssy Licker"

The attending OMFS residents were so excited they asked him if they could take a pic; which made it to our wierdo pathology professor who then sent it out to the entire faculty.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
During my D4 year in dental school, a D2/D3 student accidentally took an impression on a patient using stone instead of alginate. Few heart attacks from attending faculty members ensued.

oh man :rofl: this happened to one of my classmates last semester

@pookey123 Any other interesting stories you could share?
tufts dean of admissions is alleged to have abused his own children (he has 9 of them:eyebrow:), his first ex-wife (he has two) apparently got a protective order against him before she divorced him. he didn't like paying alimony for nine kids so he tried to file for bankruptcy but that didn't work. students at IUSD hated him and never wanted to meet with him so his office was empty all the time and he didn't do anything except harass students. mostly girls. supposedly he devised an attendance system and apparently only disciplined non-white students for being absent when nobody really used the attendance system in the first place, because it was dumb. faculty hated the attendance system too and pushed back by making a rule that rules had to be applied to everyoneo_O ?? not just specific people? then dean thomas at tufts hired him because he wanted to increase diversity at tufts by hiring a white guy :blackeye:?

so then guess what he does at tufts? he makes up a new attendance system!:bored: and for similar reasons (primarily being that he unfairly applies the attendance requirements only to specific students that he doesn't like) the attendance system was eventually scrapped. and now there are students at tufts who are scared to meet with him alone. he has been alleged to be a white supremacist, misogynist, pathological narcissist who lies constantly. he is super weird and definitely does lie a lot. apparently he hates asian students specifically because his ex was asian and he hates anyone that reminds him of his ex and her kids/family. he is also a neckbeard btw. have seen it with my own eyes unfortunately. really gross

so he has been missing from school for a while. someone asked me about him but I don't know why exactly

Reactions: 1 users
Anymore stories folks? Everyone here has something to tell. Even if it's less funny and more serious, please share more.

One of my professors was a communist spy and help pass the secrets of the atomic Bomb to the Russians.

(Read ---- Bombshell : The Secret Story of America's Unknown Atomic Spy Conspiracy by J. Albright)

Reactions: 1 user
@pookey123 How are things at your school this semester? Aside from the recent tragedy.
it's been pretty brutal but the clinics are open now. PG students still get to do all the good stuff but they committed to graduating D21 class year on time, no experience required. it seems like the admin are tired of our **** and they just want everyone to leave, they said we're not allowed to stay through the summer to get more experience. no plans for weekend clinics or expanded hours either. I know quite a few individuals who have been harassed and attacked by our administration. D21 class drafted a formal letter of demands and sent it to the admin and they just ignored it pretty much. people are pissed about the extra fees and tuition increase but personally I would just like to get the education that I paid for, what they promised, and what I signed up for. how valuable is a dmd if you've never done a single root canal? all the abuse from school just to be left sitting around and doing pencil-pushing work is awful. I know other schools that have provided meaningful CE. we are paying 120k to teach ourselves is what it feels like. wish we could get paired up with faculty for apprenticeships or something. they also let a few students do externships, which is good for them but unfair to the like 80% of students who are getting zero externship experience. just feels like its going to be a dark winter. hope next summer things will be better then and we'll get a real summer

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
it's been pretty brutal but the clinics are open now. PG students still get to do all the good stuff but they committed to graduating D21 class year on time, no experience required. it seems like the admin are tired of our **** and they just want everyone to leave, they said we're not allowed to stay through the summer to get more experience. no plans for weekend clinics or expanded hours either. I know quite a few individuals who have been harassed and attacked by our administration. D21 class drafted a formal letter of demands and sent it to the admin and they just ignored it pretty much. people are pissed about the extra fees and tuition increase but personally I would just like to get the education that I paid for, what they promised, and what I signed up for. how valuable is a dmd if you've never done a single root canal? all the abuse from school just to be left sitting around and doing pencil-pushing work is awful. I know other schools that have provided meaningful CE. we are paying 120k to teach ourselves is what it feels like. wish we could get paired up with faculty for apprenticeships or something. they also let a few students do externships, which is good for them but unfair to the like 80% of students who are getting zero externship experience. just feels like its going to be a dark winter. hope next summer things will be better then and we'll get a real summer
Wow, I'm really sorry to hear how difficult things have been for you and the other students. Thank you for letting us know of what's going on though. I hope things work out for you guys.