Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Strange day...

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by TwoSteveSquared, Oct 21, 2001.

1. TwoSteveSquared

TwoSteveSquared Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

So me and a few friends are driving back from Vegas at like 8 a.m. after a great night of hard partying. I fell a sleep, so did my friend riding shotgun. Then the driver went out. I wake up to us driving about 80 mph on the dirt center divider. A few flips, and three rolls later, I find myself laying in dirt and blood, still seatbelted in. Somehow all three of us walked away from a Ford Explorer alive, though it looked like it was run over by a tank.

Seven hours later at the hospital, I find out about the news I've been waiting for my whole life, unfortunately about 5 minutes before hearing some the most horrible news I've ever heard. St. Louis U accepted me, I'm gonna be a doctor. But before I could hobble around the E.R. in excitement, I found out that my best friend had broken his 5th vertebrate (in other words, he broke his freakn' neck). He's gonna have surgery on Monday, and will miss this quarter of school. The M.D. acceptance seemed trivial after being blown away with such terrible news about my friend. Now I'm going to bed, and I basically feel selfish for even thinking about med school stuff while my friend is still in the hospital.

At least we all survived the most vicious car accident I could have imagined.

2. SMW

SMW Grand Member
    7+ Year Member

Thank God you all survived. Congrats on the Saint Louis U. acceptance. Even though you feel like you don't deserve it, you do. I guess you have learned not to let friends, or anyone, drive after drinking. I hope your friend's surgery goes well.

3. wow congratulatoins on ur acceptance!

u deserve it! but out of curiosity? was your friend drunk driving?

4. Sir William Osler

Sir William Osler Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Steve,

I totally understand your feeling. back in my senior year of high school in Louisiana, I was partying in New Orleans. Two of my best friends were in the car and one was driving. Two of us fell asleep and then all of a sudden the driver did as well. OFf the interstate we went and we hit a tree and flipped the truck. It was totalled but luckily we were all relatively ok. from that day onward, I have always felt different about cars and driving and people who dont take the responsibility of driving seriously. It's really great that everyoen survived your accident. consider it a gift from someone. And dont forget how fragile life is. OH, and congrats on your acceptance.

good luck.

5. simpleton

simpleton Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Congrats on the acceptance. They say driving while tired is worse than driving drunk. I bet you value your life much more now since you have been accepted to med school.

6. leorl

Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    congrats and best of luck in your med future and handling your ordeal. I think falling asleep at the wheel is like 3rd or something on the list of what causes accidents. I've done that before...falling asleep at 80 mph and finding yourself shaking and jerking cuz you've driven into the median. Fortunately for anyone who's had that happen, it wasn't a concrete barrier median. It's always underestimated. Please take care, and hope everyone involved in your accident emerges relatively alright.

7. racergirl

racergirl Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey, congrats and sorry about your friend. Don't worry too much--I broke my neck in 1993, and I'm walkin and talkin just fine--no worries, except it gets stiff sometimes.

Next time you're in Vegas though, spring for the room and sleep it off.

8. csgirl

csgirl Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

First: Thank God you're all alive. And I hope your friend will get through his surgery ok.

Now: Why was the driver going 80mph down a dirt divider in an explorer? I have a Ford Explorer (also known as Ford Exploder). Not only can that thing not do 80 without starting to shake... it can't do bumpy dirt dividers either (I have my own experience with that). He must have been intoxicated or suffering from sleep deprivation, right?

I'm very sorry about your friend, that really sucks. Congratulation on the acceptance though. After your friend's surgery is over and you see that he's going to be ok, I hope you can celebrate a little. Getting into medical school is a big thing. I think your friend will be happy for you when he finds out.

9. MorningLight2100

MorningLight2100 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Steve,

Thank goodness that all of you are safe and all right. I'm so very sorry to hear about the terrible accident, and about your friend's bad news...but I am at least glad to hear that he'll be missing a quarter of school, not the remaining days of his life. Thank God that you are all alive.

You should still feel so proud about SLU; congratulations!! If anything, something like this shows how important doctors are...and you'll make such a fine one!

My very sincerest wishes for a speedy recovery, for all of you. And once again, my deepest congratulations on your acceptance!

10. TwoSteveSquared

TwoSteveSquared Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Wow, I woke up to reading all of these great messages. You guys really know how to make a person feel good (which will probably come in handy in your future careers!).

As for my friend, he's stable, and the doc doesn't thing he will have any permanent problems. He will probably have surgery tomorrow.

Ow, by the way, none of us were drunk (they tested the driver, and he was under the legal limit). However, all of did drink that night, which probably contributed to the fatigue. It was a hard lessoned learned, but an important one. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

One thing I've learned from all of this...life is too precious to gamble with. We are not invincible, though it often seems that way. I feel very lucky to be alive today, and very lucky my friend will walk again. Oh yeah, I feel a little lucky about the SLU thing, I'm sure that will sink in, in a few days.

Thanks again for all the kind messages, you guys are the best!!!

11. snowballz

snowballz Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Could've stayed on Fremont for $30 and slept it off..better than getting in an accident!! :(

I hope your friend does well..and Congrats on your acceptance.

Alicia