strange powers of SDN

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Benjo

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Speaking strickly from personal experience, the following are the multifarious abilities of SDN.
1.) information (at least it still retains this essential function)
2.) support from people going through the same ordeal...or, um, process
3.) promotion of needless neuroticism, paranoia, thought
--I have given way too much thought to topics I would never have even considered without SDN, and for the mos part this has NOT been a good thing.
--THese thoughts have contributed to needless worrying.
4.) the cancelling out of numbers 2 and 3. (I'd say it's about even for me.)
5.) realization that premeds are not as homogeneous as I thought: not only are there anxious gunners, but there are sarcastic dinguses, decent people (few and far between), and the sappy, save-the-world types.
6.) ADDICTION--originally, when I found this forum, I thouht it would be an occassional source of info so I could circumvent my pre-med advisor, but it quickly became an all-encompassing force, impelling me to read *****ic threads concerning topics that often didn't even apply to me. Now, having finished the process, I still find myself reading pointless threads and I cannot escape. I even tried giving it up for lent, despite being jewish. SDN has a firmer grip on me than nicotine, formerly the most powerfully addictive drug known to man, and in my life. Oh well, you win some, you lose some.

There really is no point to this post, but if you have read this far, it looks like #6 applies to you. I hope I can decrease my infatuation with this site come august.

Members don't see this ad.

*Sigh* I know exactly what you mean. Is it bad that even my friends know when I'm checking the message board? They refer to it as addiction and it seems like I'm "sneaking off into the bathroom to get a coke fix."
Undue stress because of things I've read here? YES But, I've also saved a lot of money because of phone calls I didn't have to make. And, I've met some great people, so I figure I'm coming out ahead. Besides, it seems like every doctor I know has at least one vice...maybe for the timebeing, this is mine. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Benjo said:
There really is no point to this post, but if you have read this far, it looks like #6 applies to you. I hope I can decrease my infatuation with this site come august.

:laugh: This is true. I'm thinking about cancelling my membership come August so I don't fail out as an M1.

TheFlash said:
:laugh: This is true. I'm thinking about cancelling my membership come August so I don't fail out as an M1.

Ditto, SDN + med school = failing exams and relegating myself to the Lounge

Failing out of med school because of SDN addiction? That would be truly ironic. Not gonna happen to me, though. I can stop any time.