Strategies to own the ACT !!!!!!!

tennisball80

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you don't mind, please feel free to share your study skills for ACT, how do you study for each section ?

What you learned from studying ACT ? :D

Members don't see this ad.

Um.. unfortunately I don't think I've learned any new material from my ACT review. I did learn to go really, really fast on the ACT since you have less time per question. I got the Princeton Review ACT book today. I haven't really worked with it but it looks pretty good. Oh, and take lots of practice tests.

Um.. unfortunately I don't think I've learned any new material from my ACT review. I did learn to go really, really fast on the ACT since you have less time per question. I got the Princeton Review ACT book today. I haven't really worked with it but it looks pretty good. Oh, and take lots of practice tests.

Sounds nice :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
It really pays to be familiar with the test. this means taking lots of practice tests and nailing your pacing. I can't say anything more specific about the ACT since I took it so long ago, but that was what helped me nail it.

Same for the MCAT.

Hoping it's the same for the USMLE

I remember being told that the reading section was one that regularly nailed people because it's essentially a time test rather than a reading comprehension test. I don't remember exactly what it was like, but I imagine the advice given for the MCAT's verbal section - which you can find in the MCAT forums (duh) - would probably be applicable or at least adaptable to the ACT.

Yeah, like others said...take practice tests! Over the summer I bought a princeton book and the "Real" ACT prep book. The princeton book did have some strategies and stuff that you could take a look at but honestly it did not benefit me that much. Also, it seemed like the practice tests in that book were much easier than the ones in the "Real" ACT book. I'd deffinitely recommend the official book just because it has those three real ACT tests. Don't just take them right after each other expecting better results. Actually look over questions that you got wrong and see how you can better time manage and get that 36!

I did well by just taking practice tests. Having the timing down is important, you want to be able to answer all the questions.

Edit: I'm assuming that it still doesn't penalize you for wrong answers.

Yea practing seems very helpful. Thank you guys for the advices !

As previous posters have mentioned, the ACT is all about time. You should probably bring a watch or make sure that your seat is close to a clock so you can pace yourself throughout the entire test. The Real ACT prep book is the best one, because some of the other companies have practice tests of questionable similarity to the actual thing.

For the science section, I would recommend skimming over the questions first and going back to find the answers within the text instead of vice versa. The science passages have a vast amount of information in them that you will not even need to answer the questions; hence, reading them would essentially be a waste of time. This wouldn't necessarily work for everyone though. It depends on how good you are at pinpointing where to find an answer in a table/chart/etc.

For the reading section, if I remember correctly, there are like two more technical passages along with two more humanities/literary passages. The literary passages are more like the SAT (analyzing themes/less fact-based) while the technical passages are more about facts (what is mentioned in the passage versus what isn't). In this section, start with the passages that you are naturally better at so that you give yourself more time for the ones you may have more trouble with. For me, I started out with the technical ones and sped through them so that I had extra time to deal with and think about the humanities passages.

Hope it helps! These tips really helped me score very well on my ACT. Feel free to PM me if you have any additional questions.