Strategy for scheduling interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

timsk

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm sure this has been asked before, but i was not able to find the type of answers i am looking for. Now that we are starting to receive our II, i'm wondering what the best strategy is for scheduling them. I know it varies with each school, but what is the average number of weeks you must wait before hearing back from a school after the interview? If they make you an offer, typically how long do you have to respond to it?

In the (hopeful) event that i get numerous interviews, I don't want to schedule one early, hear back from them early, and then be forced to say yes or no to them before i have had a chance to have all of my other interviews. I know some of this is unavoidable, but i'd like to be as strategic as possible on this front.

Anyone have any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

How long you wait depends on you, but I wouldn't wait more than 72 hours to respond to an invite. More often than not, the dates available change!

Hi all,

I'm sure this has been asked before, but i was not able to find the type of answers i am looking for. Now that we are starting to receive our II, i'm wondering what the best strategy is for scheduling them. I know it varies with each school, but what is the average number of weeks you must wait before hearing back from a school after the interview? If they make you an offer, typically how long do you have to respond to it?

In the (hopeful) event that i get numerous interviews, I don't want to schedule one early, hear back from them early, and then be forced to say yes or no to them before i have had a chance to have all of my other interviews. I know some of this is unavoidable, but i'd like to be as strategic as possible on this front.

Anyone have any advice?
I think he/she is asking about committing to a school. You don't have a commit until May 1. Some may ask for a deposit (MSU I know asks for $100, but it is refundable). As you are typically waiting for financial aid packages, you don't have to worry about turning down multiple acceptances (what a dream to have at this stage). Now, once you get acceptances, it is not advisable to hold a bunch if you know you wouldn't attend a particular school given your choices, as you are holding spots that could be given to others who are still waiting.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your replies. I was talking more about when to schedule the interview. I'll definitely reply to any II i get right away, but for the schools that give you a range of dates to select from, I was wondering what strategy to employ.

But now i understand what you're saying Rainbow Zebra. So if i am lucky enough to have numerous acceptances, you pay the deposit and they hold the spot for you. That way if you get any more offers, you can make a final decision about what school you want to select once you have heard from every school. Thus it doesn't matter when you schedule the interviews, just reply to the II asap to ensure you have a spot.

I thought the deposit was you committing to going to the school. Really appreciate the insights.

Clearly this is a premature conversation for me as i have yet to receive any II... :)

Thanks for your replies. I was talking more about when to schedule the interview. I'll definitely reply to any II i get right away, but for the schools that give you a range of dates to select from, I was wondering what strategy to employ.

But now i understand what you're saying Rainbow Zebra. So if i am lucky enough to have numerous acceptances, you pay the deposit and they hold the spot for you. That way if you get any more offers, you can make a final decision about what school you want to select once you have heard from every school. Thus it doesn't matter when you schedule the interviews, just reply to the II asap to ensure you have a spot.

I thought the deposit was you committing to going to the school. Really appreciate the insights.

Clearly this is a premature conversation for me as i have yet to receive any II... :)
Depends if rolling or non rolling. Most of the time, they give you a couple of dates to choose from. Earlier is better than later, but if only a couple of weeks, no big deal. Months may be a bigger deal for rolling schools. For non-rolling, doesn't matter.

Reactions: 1 user