Strength of bonds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

virtualmaster999

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all!

Could someone help me out with bond strengths?

What is the exact order (including covalent network)? Is it network>ionic>covalent>H-bond>dipole>van der waals> hydrophobic?

Thanks in advance!!
 
network>ionic>covalent>H-bond>dipole>van der waals> hydrophobic?

For the most part I like your order but I think a few things are off.

Network covalent is a type of MOLECULE which have very melting boiling points. The lattice structure of just middle of the road strength covalent bonds is what gives it tremendous stability and overall hardy characteristics.

Ionic bonds are indeed stronger than covalent bond

H-bonds is a special type of dipole-dipole bond which is considerably stronger than the rest

then Dipole-dipole

then Dipole-induced dipole

then van der waals between two non-polar substances

Hydrophobic isn't a bond type but a behavior that occurs due to the different polarity between a molecule and water. For instance water molecules are all polar and they hydrogen bond to one another, if hydrocarbons are present in the water the water molecules wont bond to the non-polar chains because the strong h-bonding takes precedence. When the hydrocarbons come together they do form van der waal interactions between one another and thus clump together. This can pretty much summarized in "like dissolves like" and just remember hydrophobic means "water fearing" which is pretty much the antithesis of a bond.


Anyhow, I hope I'm not steering you wrong but that's the order I typically put them in.
 
For the most part I like your order but I think a few things are off.

Network covalent is a type of MOLECULE which have very melting boiling points. The lattice structure of just middle of the road strength covalent bonds is what gives it tremendous stability and overall hardy characteristics.

Ionic bonds are indeed stronger than covalent bond

H-bonds is a special type of dipole-dipole bond which is considerably stronger than the rest

then Dipole-dipole

then Dipole-induced dipole

then van der waals between two non-polar substances

Hydrophobic isn't a bond type but a behavior that occurs due to the different polarity between a molecule and water. For instance water molecules are all polar and they hydrogen bond to one another, if hydrocarbons are present in the water the water molecules wont bond to the non-polar chains because the strong h-bonding takes precedence. When the hydrocarbons come together they do form van der waal interactions between one another and thus clump together. This can pretty much summarized in "like dissolves like" and just remember hydrophobic means "water fearing" which is pretty much the antithesis of a bond.


Anyhow, I hope I'm not steering you wrong but that's the order I typically put them in.

Thanks for the reply! So bonds within a network solid would be stronger than a regular covalent bond. What about the comparison between network solids and ionic bonds? Do network solids have stronger bonds?
 
If the question asked:

which bond is stronger? Network covalent bonds or ionic bonds

I think I would choose network covalent but I think they are stronger just because of their context of being in a lattice. If they asked what is stronger a c-c or a na-cl bond I would choose na-cl. This makes your original order pretty good actually.. lol